Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possible to use Ghost 2003 on an Apple Mac in dualboot? (Read 5528 times)
voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Possible to use Ghost 2003 on an Apple Mac in dualboot?
Aug 27th, 2009 at 8:40am

These days, it's possible to run both OSX and WinXP/Vista on a single Apple Mac machine, provided an Apple utility called BootCamp is installed into OSX. So, as with a Windows dualboot, Mac OSX and (say) WinXP each sits in its own partition on the Mac HDD (or, more preferably, one on one physical drive, the other on a different physical drive). On booting up or restarting the Mac, Bootcamp then allows you to choose to boot into OSX or WinXP.

Does anyone here know if, in such an arrangement, it's still possible to successfully use Ghost 2003 in conjunction with the WinXP, in order to make partition images of WinXP and to be able to restore the WinXP partition from an image if necessary? The destination for the WinXP images would be in a partition on the WinXP drive; I don't see that backup to an external drive of any kind would be remotely possible, but I'm still wondering if it could be done to another partition or physical drive on the Mac.

Quite apart from the fact that modern Macs no longer sport a floppy drive - though I suspect this can be overcome by making instead a bootable CD or memory stick - my own gut feeling is that this wouldn't be feasible, as the DOS environment of Ghost 2003 would need to recognise and be compatible with BootCamp.

But there must be plenty of people around the world who use WinXP or Vista on a Mac, either temporarily or permanently and for whatever reason, so how do they deal with the need to periodically backup the contents of their WinXP/Vista partition?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Possible to use Ghost 2003 on an Apple Mac in dualboot?
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 9:54am

@
voximan

I'm only guessing here--I'm not a Mac user--but, are you able to boot to MS-DOS using a Mac?  If not, then it's unlikely that Ghost 2003 would function using the Mac--Ghost is a MS-DOS (or compatible DOS OS--such as PC-DOS) based program.

Quote:
how do they deal with the need to periodically backup the contents of their WinXP/Vista partition?

Interesting question--is there a Mac equivalent imaging program similar to Ghost?  Is there an equivalent DOS-like environment that you can boot to on a Mac--or is everything Mac OS based--I suspect there must be imaging programs available that run on a Mac--anyone?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Cart mill
Ex Member

Re: Possible to use Ghost 2003 on an Apple Mac in dualboot?
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 10:24pm

NightOwl wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 9:54am:
@
voximan

Quote:
how do they deal with the need to periodically backup the contents of their WinXP/Vista partition?

Interesting question--is there a Mac equivalent imaging program similar to Ghost?  Is there an equivalent DOS-like environment that you can boot to on a Mac--or is everything Mac OS based--I suspect there must be imaging programs available that run on a Mac--anyone?

Quite apart from the fact that modern Macs no longer sport a floppy drive , as the DOS environment of Ghost 2003 would need to recognise and be compatible with BootCamp.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print