Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does cloning reduce life of a hard drive? (Read 8949 times)
blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Does cloning reduce life of a hard drive?
Aug 28th, 2009 at 3:40am

Hi to everyone,
                    I have a very simple question. On my laptop I have different partitions including one for my system and one for storing the images of the system partition.

I use the laptop both at work and at home and since some time, my company is putting some security policies on my machine such that my internet connection while very good at work, becomes very bad at home.

I still keep images of my system partition when my machine was connecting very well to the internet and I use these images to make newer images at home.

That said, when I go home I have the tendency to put back an image on my system partition with which my internet connection works fine at home. I would like to ask if I put back images on my system partition very frequent (such as on a daily basis), will this affect the lifetime of my hard drive? I understand that putting back an image on a partition means to format that partition first and restore files on that partition. The size of my system partition is 45 GB with a data size of about 15 GB. And it takes less than 20 mins for me to boot with NG03 and clone back my system partition.

Thanks a lot

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Re: Does cloning reduce life of a hard drive?
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 12:35pm

I have wondered about this same thing. One could argue that ANY disk activity contributes to the wear-n-tear of a given hard drive, and therefore, 'yes,' does reduce the life.

But this reasoning is considered in a vacuum, so to speak. And there are other factors which are more important .. one of which I would expect to be the care of the drive itself .. whether you bump, bang, or drop it .. and how many times. Heat might be another.

Drives are made to work. Laptop manufactures know that laptops will be carted around and may not be pampered.

Think about defragging. That normally produces intense disk activity for a sustained period .. depending of how much data is contained on the partition/disk, and the degree of fragmentation.

Note too, that you're really concerned about FAILURE .. not wear-n-tear. There's nothing wrong with an old tired, drive that still works. The problem arises only when a given drive fails outright. (And then, presumably, you have a backup image which you can restore .. so no problem even then.)

So I would say (definitively, unqualified) .. 'yes, but no.'  Smiley

The bigger question here is why your internet connection might be performing more slowly at home than work. I would expect any "security policies" to affect your laptop at WORK, but NOT at home. Curious.

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 3:11pm

Hi,
   Many thanks for your message. Restoring an image takes well under 20 mins for my system partition. I was thinking of this: when we create the image, we have the option to compress the image or not. I normally pick "fast compression". Now when the image is being restored, the compressed image has to be decompressed "bit by bit" and then be written to the selected partition. I was thinking then if it would be better not to use any compression at all so as not to "stress" the drive further.

Yes I agree with you bumping and dropping are more serious and can cause a hard drive failure.

About my internet connection problem, I have asked the IT department at work for an explanation. I'm still waiting for an explanation from them. When I first got my machine, the IT dept spent some days to install their own security systems. So when I connect to the network at work, many security policies are downloaded to my machine without I having any control over that.

First I thought that the problem was at home but thanks to my Ghost images, I know that something is happening at work. So when I want to make a newer image, with updated software and so on, I do this at home now as I know that I'll get a "good" image.

And I've noticed that I can't connect my PDA via Active Sync either at home or at work after bringing my laptop at work. So something is definitely messing the connectivity of my machine when I'm bringing it at work. Hopefully, this week I'll know more of what's happening

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

Spanky
Radmeister

Rad's non-Admin Test profile
in Seamonkey

Same as Rad

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 10:16pm

the compression is all done with the cpu and simply means your hard drive has less work to do (less wear-n-tear).

so compression is good.

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 1:27am

Hi,
    Thanks for the interesting comment. So I'll opt for high compression then.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 10:17pm

I prefer fast. High will suk way more CPU and give you only marginally smaller images. Plus they may take longer, depending whether your limiting factor shifts from disk-writing to CPU-encoding.

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 11:55pm

HI Rad.Test,
                 Thanks for the message. Cloning back an image made with high compression can take longer time and then as you say the disk may then be work more.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

OldTimer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 9:05am

Blackeagle

Being old and sneaky, I'd just set up a second OS on the second partition and let that be your private OS, set up and customized the way you want it.
Then when you are at work and boot normally, into the first partition (by default) you would be running windows the way your IT people want you to.

No more Ghosting and restoring.

think you could do that?

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 7:19pm

back to compression.

i have compared high compression to no compression.

hopefully i have a record somewhere. 

times sizes before and after.

if i find it , i will post it.

the only time i use compression is when i make an image of my hard drive and want it to fit on one DVD.

zs i recall, there was no real advantage to compression otherwise.

ps

i backup and restore all the time.

occasionally a bad hard drive.

every one i called about said out of warranty.

now i don't call.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 3:45am

@
OldTimer

That is a good idea.

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 3:45pm

Hi Guys,
           Sorry for my late reply. Yes, I can setup an OS on another partition. I have done that earlier on a different machine and then I was using Ghost from DOS to make the partition that I want active. This works fine.

At present I don't have a Windows OS CD so that I can't do what I did earlier. I was thinking of Linux....but it'll take me time to be effective in Linux. At times I just think that it might be easier to buy a very cheap machine for home usage. I don't play games and I won't expect my home machine to carry out complex computations.

Anyhow, I'll think of the best thing to do.

Thanks again

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print