Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost (> ver 10) support for Linux partitions (Read 11587 times)
zmdmw
Dude

Norton Ghost (> ver 10) support for Linux partitions
Sep 15th, 2009 at 4:31am

Does Norton Ghost (ver. 10 or greater) support imaging Linux partitions (ext3 is what I use, but also ext4) to save image to NTFS partition ?

Links to additional info would also be appreciated.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Norton Ghost (> ver 10) support for Linux partitions
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 5:18pm

@
zmdmw

From the Ghost 14 userguide...

Quote:
Norton Ghost supports FAT16, FAT16X, FAT32, FAT32X, NTFS, GUID Partition Table (GPT), dynamic disks, Linux Ext2, Linux Ext3, and Linux swap partitions.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/14/manuals/ngh_14...

IP Logged

zmdmw
Dude

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 12:23am

So a version of Ghost earlier to ver 14 (ie 9, 10,12) would not support Linux partitions ?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 9:20am

@
zmdmw

Support for Linux partitions has been available since at least Ghost 2003.

Of course, you have to use Ghost from the Windows OS--you can't install and use it from Linux by itself.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

zmdmw
Dude

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 11:13am

NightOwl wrote on Sep 16th, 2009 at 9:20am:
Support for Linux partitions has been available since at least Ghost 2003.
Of course, you have to use Ghost from the Windows OS--you can't install and use it from Linux by itself. 

NG 2003 (from a boot CD) did not recognize Linux (ext3) partitions; I tried both: MS-DOS & PC-DOS versions of the CD.

However, Norton Ghost 10 has support for ext2 and ext3 file systems. From the Norton Ghost 10 Manual (from Brian's link in the post above.)

Code:
Norton Ghost is supported on FAT16, FAT16X, FAT32, FAT32X,
NTFS, dynamic disks, Linux Ext2, Linux Ext3, and Linux swap partitions.

It doesn't say anything about other Linux file systems (XFS, JFS, ReiserFS, etc).

@ Brian, thanks for the Symantec FTP link, one can recursively access older versions from there also.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 9:20am

@
zmdmw

Quote:
NG 2003 (from a boot CD) did not recognize Linux (ext3) partitions

Well, apparently Ghost 2003 didn't work for you, but the Ghost 2003 User Guide on
page # 14 indicates that it does support Linux:

Quote:
File system support: You can back up, restore, or clone FAT, FAT32, NTFS,
and Linux Ext2/3 file systems.

Ghost 9.0 supports Linux (Manual no longer listed at above resource--this is quoted from my Ghost 9 CD):

Quote:
Norton Ghost is supported on FAT16, FAT16X, FAT32, FAT32X, NTFS, dynamic disks, Linux Ext2, Linux Ext3, and Linux swap partitions.

As does Ghost 12:

page #13 of Ghost 12 User Guide

Quote:
Norton Ghost supports FAT16, FAT16X, FAT32, FAT32X, NTFS, dynamic disks, Linux Ext2,
Linux Ext3, and Linux swap partitions

And Ghost 15:

Ghost 15 User Guide, page 20:

Quote:
Norton Ghost supports the following file systems:

■ FAT16, FAT16X
■ FAT32, FAT32X
■ NTFS
■ GUID Partition Table (GPT)
■ Dynamic disks
■ Linux Ext2, Linux Ext3
■ Linux swap partitions

General link to Ghost Manuals--go up to next higher level to find Ghost 10, 12, 14, and 15 Manuals.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

zmdmw
Dude

Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 10:14am

Yes nightowl, I did go through the Ghost 9 Manual (and thus NG 2003-since NG 2003 is included w/ Ghost 9), as that is the official (legit) version of Norton Ghost that I have. Both those manuals (NG 2003 + Ghost 9) do mention support for Linux (ext2 & ext3) file systems, as mentioned by you above.

However, I have never been able to get NG 2003 to detect ext3 Linux partitions [for openSUSE 11.1 (see sig) ... I use the ext4 FS type for Ubuntu 9.04, so Ghost won't detect it, as NG doesn't (yet) support ext4], from a boot CD as I mentioned above. So, apparently NG 2003 did not work for me. And currently am using Clonezilla Live CD for imaging, which works great as given at this thread:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1239229184

Not only Linux, it also works well with Windows XP (details at the post above). You might want to give it a spin yourself sometime. The one disadvantage is inability to browse the created image files (unlike with Ghost Explorer). Will try out the NG 2003 boot CD once more, since this install is on a new hard disk, and possibly that might make a difference.

Code:
General link to Ghost Manuals--go up to next higher level to find Ghost 10, 12, 14, and 15 Manuals. 

Yes, got that from Brian's reply, but thanks for refrring back the link again!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:30am

@
zmdmw

Quote:
one can recursively access older versions from there also

I could tell you understood how to access those manuals, but I added that link for those who might not understand how to reach those other manuals!

Report back with your results--which version of Ghost (if any) are you able to successfully use to backup Linux partitions?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print