Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old software = New software? (Read 13615 times)
Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

Old software = New software?
Sep 15th, 2009 at 10:29pm

I just installed a fresh, never before installed/activated copy of Norton Internet Security 2006.  After installing, I ran Live Update.  It downloaded a bit more than 53MB of updates/virus definitions.  When I now select 'About' on the help menu, the version of NIS is reported as 9.1.0.33, and the version for NAV is reported as 12.8.0.4.  Is anyone running current versions of this software (ie NIS 2009), and if so, what versions are reported.  I'm just curious.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Old software = New software?
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 12:03am

I'm not sure that you can compare version numbers of different releases of the programs.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 1:34am

i have long felt that updates to an old copy of nav made it very similar to current release versions .. a few years newer. so i know what you're asking. tho i now use nod32 4.24

i used nav 2007 for a long time .. until recently.

even if it says it's an older version, i think they include updated components. i mean 50 mb is most of the prgm, right?.

but admittedly, this is only a guess, since i can't know 4 sure.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 1:53am

We were a NAV family until recently. My daughter's computer became virus infected so I restored an image and looked for new software. We are now using the free Avast. Boot times for our computers have improved by 30 to 60 seconds. My differential image backups are only half the size they used to be and I understand why. We are pleased with Avast (so far).

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 9:17am

@
Dirk B

It's been a long time ago, but I think Pleonasm reported that starting with NAV 2006 (?)--that the licence was no longer for *that* version, but for a time period--so if a new version came out--then LiveUpdate would update to the newer version--until the time period for your licence expired--as long as you keep (kept) renewing, you would get the more recent version(s) as time went by.

So if you installed an older version (NAV 2006), and you had never used the 1 year renewal license--then it probably updated to the now current version.

That info might be in the EULA or User Guide somewhere--and I could be wrong--but that's what I think I remember!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 8:57pm

Brian,
I'm not real familiar with how/what viruses do, but in simple terms can you explain why a computer would boot sluggishly and backups take up more space due to a virus?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 9:15pm

@
Dirk B

It was NAV, not a virus, that was causing the slower boots. All computers booted faster after it was removed. 30 to 80 seconds faster.

NAV keeps 2 or 3 days of the most recent virus definitions in folders, each around 60 MB. As these folders change daily it creates new used sectors to be included in differential backups. Avast doesn't store its virus definitions in this way.

My daughter's computer booted in 2:34 (min:sec). After NAV was uninstalled the boot time was 1:06. After Avast was installed the boot time was 1:15.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 9:38am

Quote:
I think Pleonasm reported that starting with NAV 2006 (?)--that the license was no longer for *that* version, but for a time period--so if a new version came out--then LiveUpdate would update to the newer version--until the time period for your license expired--as long as you keep (kept) renewing, you would get the more recent version(s) as time went by.

LiveUpdate will not install upgrades (e.g., from Norton Internet Security 2009 to 2010), only updates (e.g., new virus definitions and minor application enhancements).  For an individual with an active Norton subscription, visit the Norton Update Center to obtain the latest version for free.  (Your current product key will enable the new version.)

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 9:45am

Quote:
It was NAV, not a virus, that was causing the slower boots.

For a review of the impact of anti-virus software on system performance, see Anti-Virus Comparative: Performance Test.

Interestingly, Norton AntiVirus 2009 scores very well in these tests.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 11:24pm

Night Owl & Pleo,
You are correct.  I started the computer last night and a message popped up, (not Live Update), that a new version of NIS was available.  So I pushed all the right buttons and it downloaded NIS 2010, then uninstalled 2006 and installed itself!  It used the same activation code as for NIS 2006, and I still have 365 days of coverage.  Such a deal.

IP Logged

Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 8:19pm

Does anyone know if this holds true for other Norton software packages?  I have older, unused/unregistered copies of SystemWorks, Save & Restore, and Ghost.

IP Logged

snoopy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 5:22am

I am looking for solution. i have a problem related to this post. looking forward you soon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print