Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003-Img-Restore in DOS using floppies - wrong partition (Read 10433 times)
henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Ghost 2003-Img-Restore in DOS using floppies - wrong partition
Oct 9th, 2009 at 11:08am

Hiya,

I hope Nightowl will read this since he showed me through many things with Ghost 2003  Kiss
Now I'm stuck again.  Roll Eyes

Windows XP Pro, Ghost 2003, 2 HDDs.

My HDD #1 has 5 partitions. C:\ is XP, size 57 GB.
My HDD #2 has 2 partitions. I:\ is IMAGES, size 40GB.

I have successfully created images in DOS using Ghost CD/DVD boot-floppy Set (#1+#2) both on partition (HDD #2 Partition I:\)
and on DVD. Thanks to Nightowl  Wink

Today I tried to restore an image using these boot-floppies.
Once loaded in DOS I get the following:
> local > partition > from Image

Source (just 1 drive shown): primary | ID 07 (???) | 57913 MB = correct, is C:\ | diskload (???)
should be DESTINATION !

Destination (2 shown):  1. 305250 MB | type basic --> I got no partition this size
                                   2. 114473 MB | type basic ---> dito

When I highlight either of them I come to:
"NEW" (!) | primary | 07 (???) | NTFS (as all my drives) | "NO NAME" | no size yet (at least not really..)

If I go on I get the message "do you want to DUPLICATE" --> I can either click YES or RESET  > I clicked RESET, hoping that Ghost would NOT start anything -
but instead of showing any processing Ghost loaded right into windows.   Shocked
note: I was too excited to think of simply turning off the PC  Grin

By (eg) the versions of applications which I had upgraded lately I could see clearly that obviously I HAD an image-restore - somehow (!)  Huh
So what the heck did Ghost do there  Huh Huh

Now I did not trust that and restored the image again, this time with Ghost-windows-interface.
Went well.  Smiley

Anyway I need to know what I do wrong since I got to restore using boot-floppies in DOS.
If windows would not start anymore I would be lost.
Apart from that Ghost 2003 only works reliable in DOS.

Patiently waiting for reply.
henriette  Smiley

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Re: Ghost 2003-Img-Restore in DOS using floppies - wrong partition
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 6:10am

Hiya  Smiley

My posting was incomplete - not all shown partitions & drives listed!  Embarrassed

Maybe I found out what I did wrong. Just need your confirmation & your ok that I am right.

In destination             1. 305250 MB | type basic
                                   2. 114473 MB | type basic

---> I got to highlight #1 = 305250 MB.

When I continue there are listed:

1. primary | 07 | NTFS | XP (!!) | 57913 MB ----> of course I will take this one!

2. logical ( = 2nd partition HDD#1)
3. logical ( = 3rd partition HDD#1)
4. logical ( = 4th partition HDD#1)
5. logical ( = 5th partition HDD#1)

6. "NEW" | primary | 07 (???) | NTFS (as all my drives) | "NO NAME" | (maybe a 'created' size)

Will you please explain to me what 6. "NEW" is supposed to be for - and how come Ghost creates it ?
(IMHO is for duplicating as I got it when I highlighted it  Grin - but what happened by clicking RESET instead of YES - was I lucky enough NOT to duplicate to one of my partitions (would have lost all datas on it !) by clicking RESET  Huh

Then I get the message:
"continue with restoring of partition ? Destination will be overwritten" > Yes | NO

Clicking YES should be the image-restore that I want.

correct  Huh

henriette  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 2:52pm

@
henriette

Welcome back!

Well, you have presented a problem list that I don't exactly understand--so we need to explore what's going on in more detail!!!

Quote:
Today I tried to restore an image using these boot-floppies.
Once loaded in DOS I get the following:
> local > partition > from Image

Okay, so you booted from the floppy disks to DOS Ghost, chose to do a restore operation from your local disk, restoring a partition only, from an image--that is clear enough!

Quote:
If I go on I get the message "do you want to DUPLICATE" --> I can either click YES or RESET  > I clicked RESET, hoping that Ghost would NOT start anything -
but instead of showing any processing Ghost loaded right into windows.

I think you may have mixed up two different procedures here!  The only time I have ever seen the option to *Reset* is if I have used the Windows Ghost interface to setup a Ghost procedure, and Ghost then shuts down Windows and re-boots to DOS.  And, then Ghost will re-boot to Windows when done!

My DOS Ghost program doesn't act this way!  And, in your second post you say:

Quote:
Then I get the message:
"continue with restoring of partition ? Destination will be overwritten" > Yes | NO

This sounds like what DOS Ghost does when I do a *Local > Partition > From Image* procedure.

I do not get any message that contains the word *Reset*!!!  And, if I select *No*, I go back to the main opening Ghost screen--it does not re-boot to Windows!  So, I don't know what's going on there!

Quote:
My HDD #2 has 2 partitions. I:\ is IMAGES, size 40GB

The next screen after you select *Local > Partition > From Image* will be a screen asking where the source of the image file should come from--both of your HDDs should be listed!!!  At this stage, Ghost does not know what you are planning on doing, so it will not make any attempt to correct an *operator* error--such as attempting to restore to the same partition that holds the source image file--can't do that!

Presumably you would select the 2nd HDD.  (You will know if that's the right HDD in the next screen because it will list the two partition on that HDD--if you see 5 (or 6!?) partition listed, then your HDD #1 is where you image file should be--you should see just 2 partition listed!)  You would then select the partition on which the image file is located, and then browse to the actual location of the file.  You then select the file.

So, your outline of events does not match any experience I have had using Ghost 2003--so, I have to imagine that the German Ghost version is quite different from my version....or, you will have to clarify what's going on!

Quote:

and:

1. primary | 07 | NTFS | XP (!!) | 57913 MB ----> of course I will take this one!

6. "NEW" | primary | 07 (???) | NTFS (as all my drives) | "NO NAME" | (maybe a 'created' size)

Ghost, when creating an image file, does not *create* any *NEW* partition that is not there--so the image file can only contain what's actually on the source HDD at the time of image creation!

You must have a 6th partition on your HDD that you are unaware of!?  In Windows, *right click* on *My Computer* and select *Manage*.  On the new screen that comes up, select *Disk Management*.  On the next screen that is presented, you need to select your HDD 0, it should have your 5 (6?) partitions listed after you select it (it may already be selected by default.).

Does that 6th partition show up?  If it does, then that's why you see that partition in the Ghost image file also.  If it does not, then we may need to do some more detective work!

Quote:
If I go on I get the message "do you want to DUPLICATE" --> I can either click YES or RESET 

This step does not occur in my version of DOS Ghost--so I have to think something else is going on here!

Quote:
I clicked RESET, hoping that Ghost would NOT start anything -
but instead of showing any processing Ghost loaded right into windows

and

but what happened by clicking RESET instead of YES - was I lucky enough NOT to duplicate to one of my partitions (would have lost all datas on it !) by clicking RESET

My expectation here, being as you re-booted to Windows (again, as stated before--my DOS Ghost version can not do this!) after selecting *RESET*, is that Ghost canceled the procedure, closed itself down and re-booted to Windows.  But.....how could it re-boot to Windows if you used the floppy disks to boot from--do you have to *manually* select the floppy disk to boot from each time your system re-boots?--Is your *normal* boot order to use your HDD first--and not the floppy disk?

Quote:
Then I get the message:

This statement makes no sense at this point!!!!  You said when you selected *RESET*, you booted back to Windows!!!!  How could you have the above message occur?  (By the way, that is the message I get after selecting the destination partition when doing a *Local > Partition > From Image* procedure in DOS Ghost.)

Quote:

Clicking YES should be the image-restore that I want.

If you have selected the correct partition from the image file as source, and you have selected the correct destination partition on the destination HDD--then, *yes* is the correct choice to restore that partition from the image file to the HDD partition.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 10:00am

Hiya Nightowl  Smiley

Quote:
So, your outline of events does not match any experience I have had using Ghost 2003--so, I have to imagine that the German Ghost version is quite different from my version....or, you will have to clarify what's going on!

Ever so sorry for having confused you - as you see below our Ghost 2003-versions are totally alike  Wink

Quote:
You must have a 6th partition on your HDD that you are unaware of!?  In Windows, *right click* on *My Computer* and select *Manage*.  On the new screen that comes up, select *Disk Management*.  On the next screen that is presented, you need to select your HDD 0, it should have your 5 (6?) partitions listed after you select it.
Does that 6th partition show up?  If it does, then that's why you see that partition in the Ghost image file also.

Thank you so much for telling me how to find out - I forgot about the 'unused space' on HDD-0  Embarrassed
I might add it to another existing partition where I run a little short of space  Wink

Oh yes, there IS a 6th partition (20.94GB) without a drive-letter or 'given name' - not used ! - meaning:
when I partitionend HDD-0 (320GB) THIS 6th so-called partition was a 'leftover' of total HDD-0 size.  I first noticed how big the 'leftover' was after partitioning. Since I don't do that very often I thought I just leave it as is - being glad to having managed it. Also thinking I had "enormous" space (then! - space shrinks fast when working & saving) Grin

Now I understand why Ghost shows this partition also.

Question:
That doesn't matter, does it  Huh

Quote:
I do not get any message that contains the word *Reset*!!!  And, if I select *No*, I go back to the main opening Ghost screen--it does not re-boot to Windows!  So, I don't know what's going on there!

RESET I do get only when I click on drive '6 NEW' (that leftover partiton). I get RESET and YES. I never get a NO-option.

So I would guess that Ghost is doing the right thing by recognizing another partition which Ghost is trying to 'add' by giving the chance to use it (or something like that - sorry for my poor English)  Roll Eyes

But all is well since for restoring I would:
In destination             1. 305250 MB | type basic
                                   2. 114473 MB | type basic

---> I got to highlight #1 = 305250 MB.

When I continue there are listed:

6. "NEW" | primary | 07 (???) | NTFS (as all my drives) | "NO NAME" | (maybe a 'created' size) -
simply ignore this one
Wink

Then I get the message:

Clicking YES
should be the image-restore that I want.  Smiley Smiley

Quote:
If you have selected the correct partition from the image file as source, and you have selected the correct destination partition on the destination HDD--then, *yes* is the correct choice to restore that partition from the image file to the HDD partition.

So I hope that everything is clarified by now.
If there are any questions I haven't answered please ask.

Thank you for your help and for your warm welcome  Smiley

henriette   Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 11:23pm

@
henriette

Quote:
as you see below our Ghost 2003-versions are totally alike

Okay!

So, you now know why there is a 6th partition listed in the Ghost image file.  And you seem to see both of your HDDs now.

But, what steps are you selecting that give you that final message:

Quote:
If I go on I get the message

"do you want to DUPLICATE" --> I can either click YES or RESET 

> I clicked RESET, hoping that Ghost would NOT start anything -
but instead of showing any processing Ghost loaded right into windows

You have selected the *source* for the image file, you open that image file and select a partition, then you are taken to the *destination* selection where you have to choose a HDD, and then a partition--what specific choices are you making that end with the final step you have listed above? 

I can not make my Ghost program show me that same message!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 8:10am

Hi NightOwl,

Quote:
You have selected the *source* for the image file, you open that image file and select a partition, then you are taken to the *destination* selection where you have to choose a HDD, and then a partition

I choose by mistake the 6th partition, that is why I came out with "do you want to DUPLICATE" --> I can either click YES or RESET - clicked RESET.
Since I then seemed to have a restore (somehow - by the versions of lately upgraded apps), I do not want to try that again - just to tell you if I would get exactly the same options again. I then would not get out of there anymore' (no "NO").
Nor would I rely on just turning off the PC - 'one' never knows  Grin
Hoping you will forgive me and understand my reasons.  Cheesy

Quote:
I can not make my Ghost program show me that same message!

You don't have an "unused" 'leftover-space' (that shows up as x-partition) on your HDD - so I would guess, that may also be why you don't get the options "YES" or "RESET" and no "NO"!.  Huh

I will restore an image right after I have created a new one - will be rather soon. The restore will be done just the way I described, with last message ""continue with restoring of partition ? Destination will be overwritten" > Yes | NO - clicking "YES".

Then I can tell you more.

Because: to give you more info it doesn't matter if I FIRST 'kinda-restore' by choosing the 6th partition and THEN restore again as described above - to be sure to have a 'real' restore.

Is that ok for you ?
henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 9:48am

Hiya NightOwl  Smiley

I couldn't reproduce the 'continue with restore' > 'YES/RESTORE' when clicking on 6th partition 'NEW' (leftover space).
I got 'YES/NO' right away.
No idea what was going on when I told you so - that is why I am posting in this thread.

This doesn't matter anymore since I reallocated free discspace of my HDD #1 (all partitions).
Used 'Paragon Partition Manager 9.0'.
So the 6th partition doesn't exist anymore.

The 5 partitions now got the size I needed  Wink

Have created boot-DVDs lately. Simply gotta swap floppy #2 to #1 ("command.com" is on #1).

I let ghost write with commpression HIGH to DVD since images become bigger.

question 1:
Will Ghost split automatically + ask for seconc DVD when needed (using floppies in PC-DOS)  Huh
Don't want to use commandline if not necessary.

question 2:
when creating or checking image I see lottsa "no-named MFT *table*files" (hope you understand my translation).
I always have been wondering what that could be - and where *come from*.

Ghost is working accurate in DOS as always since you showed me how to ...  Smiley

henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 11:38pm

@
henriette

Quote:
question 1:
Will Ghost split automatically + ask for seconc DVD when needed (using floppies in PC-DOS)

That should be Ghost's default behavior--has been for me!

Quote:
question 2:
when creating or checking image I see lottsa "no-named MFT *table*files" (hope you understand my translation).
I always have been wondering what that could be - and where *come from*.

The *MFT* is the *Master File Table*--a part of the structure of a NTFS file system--it contains the information about files stored by the file system.  But, regarding an answer to your specific question--I don't know.

Quote:
I couldn't reproduce the 'continue with restore' > 'YES/RESTORE' when clicking on 6th partition 'NEW' (leftover space).

I just did a partition restore today--and after the restore had completed and there was a message that the restore had completed successfully--after clicking off the message, I got the choice of *Continue (using the Ghost program)* or *Reset the computer*.  So maybe it has something to do with being at that juncture of the program.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 5:37am

Hiya NightOwl  Smiley

All questions answered by you   Smiley

henriette  Smiley 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print