Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Success with Bootable CD !!! (Read 3755 times)
Len
Dude

I Love Radified!

Boston, MA

Success with Bootable CD !!!
Oct 24th, 2009 at 3:08pm

Back a month or more, I was unable to run Ghost 2003-from-DOS on a Dell Latitude D620.

Following Nightowls instructions, I now have a Ghost Boot CD that works on that laptop!!!

One question:  when I create a backup, I get two files:   .GHO  and .GHS

I haven't done a restore yet, but, will they both show up when I do?

What is the difference?

Thanks,   Len

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Success with Bootable CD !!!
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 3:28pm

gho is the main ghost file.

ghs is/are all the parts that will not fit into the original ghost file, usually due to file system limitations (2 or 4 gigs). they are all linked together.

congrats.

nightowl will be glad to hear.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 1:07pm

@
Len

Quote:
nightowl will be glad to hear

Indeed--congrats--welcome to bootable optical discs!

Just a little more detail--DOS has an approx. 2 GB file size limit--so if your data is greater than what will fit in a 2 GB file, then Ghost *spans* the data to additional files.

As Rad mentioned, the initial Ghost image file will have the *.gho* extension--any additional *spanned* file(s) will have the *.ghs* extension.

Quote:
I haven't done a restore yet, but, will they both show up when I do?

Ghost's default behavior in DOS is to list only *.gho* files, being as you must open that initial file first to restore the Ghost image.  Any additional *.ghs* files will be opened and used during the restore process *automatically*.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 12:09pm

Hi,
    Congratulations for your success. Just 1 small comment. When u're creating images, u should be careful with the number of characters in the filename. I've seen a discussion about this somewhere but unfortunately I can't remember.

As far as I know, it's good to suggest a filename that is 5 characters or less. This is my experience with Ghost 2003.
For example, if u're creating an image on October 28, u might want to identify it as oct28. So when the image is created, then u'll have the initial GHO file: oct28.GHO and then come the GHS files such as oct28001.GHS, oct28002.GHS and so on. And with Ghost 2003, you can store the image either on a FAT32 partition or a NTFS partition.

Good luck and happy Ghosting

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print