Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost backup seems to have failed. Need help. (Read 3036 times)
hitechwreck
Ex Member

Ghost backup seems to have failed. Need help.
Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:57pm

Hi there. today i backed up a 16GB hard drive to ghost image, do what i always do. This is something i have done 100's of times. When it came to opening the image with Ghost Explorer, it gets to 7% of Loading Partition and just closes. No matter how many times i run Ghost Explorer, it just closes at 7%.
I tried a newer version of Ghost Explorer but this does the same.
I tried SafeMode on WinXP in case some other software was preventing it finishing, but this made no difference.
I tried reimaging the hard drive from the backup but this just stops at 92% and hangs.
I ran an integrity check from a Ghost dos disk, and it passed. I then attempted to image the hard drive again, but it froze at 92% again.
Whats annoying is it has obviously copied a large chunk of the data to the hard drive, but slaving the drive in Windows shows the drive to be Unknown. If the files have copied across, can i not just run data recovery software on the hard drive?
Any suggestions would be very very welcome.
All the best
Darren  Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost backup seems to have failed. Need help.
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 1:07am

@
hitechwreck

Quote:
Hi there. today i backed up a 16GB hard drive to ghost image, do what i always do. This is something i have done 100's of times.

You've done this *100's of times* using this 16 GB HDD on this system--and there was no error message(s) while creating the Ghost image?  Was this a *whole disk* to image file or *single partition* to image file procedure?

Quote:
I tried reimaging the hard drive from the backup but this just stops at 92% and hangs.

So, you then attempted to use the above image file that would not open in Ghost Explorer successfully to restore the image data back to the 16 GB HDD from which you originally created the Ghost image file from?  And it hangs at 92% completed?  Was this a *partition* to *partition* , *partition* to *disk*, or *disk* to *disk* restore procedure?

Quote:
I ran an integrity check from a Ghost dos disk, and it passed.

You ran an integrity check on the *image file* and it passed?!  Or, ...you ran an *integrity check* on the HDD and it passed?!

Quote:
Whats annoying is it has obviously copied a large chunk of the data to the hard drive, but slaving the drive in Windows shows the drive to be Unknown.

Unless the entire restore has completed, I don't think there is the necessary file structure to allow successful access to the data.

If you have a Ghost image file that can pass the Integrity check, you could try to restore the Ghost image file to a different HDD!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print