Booting from new HDD (Read 10164 times)
sihev
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Booting from new HDD
Nov 7th, 2009 at 11:24pm

Hi Guys, you are my last hope.

I have Norton Ghost 14.  My computer is from Dell and is a Inspiron 530s, which has a 500GB HDD.

My old HDD started to sound a bit chuggy, so recently purchased 1TB SATA HDD and wanted to make this new OS disk.  I initialised new HDD, made it active in data management, gave it a drive letter.

Using Ghost 14, I chose, "copy my hard drive".  This then brought up 3 "drives", which are actually partitions, d, c and j.  The original HDD came with d and c pre-partitioned, I added j later.

I chose "drive" C and then I chose all of the tick boxes I could, i.e.check source for system errors, check destination for file system errors, set drive active (for booting), disable smarttsetor copying, ignore bad sectors, copy MBR, then seleted go.

A perfect copy of the c partition was now on my new HDD, but when taking out my old HDD and plugging in the new one, it would not boot and said "no boot device available".

I have a suspicion that the boot details are on the d drive and not the c drive, but how do I copy the "whole" drive rather than just a partition?

I did try and replicate the drive, i.e. set up new HDD with copies of d, c and j, but this did not work either, any ideas?

I must be missing something really obvious

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Booting from new HDD
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 12:22am

@
sihev

WinXP or Vista?

In Disk Management (old HD), are there 3 or 4 partitions? What size is each partition? In order.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 1:26am

Also, do you have the new HD plugged into the same SATA port that the old HD was using. It will be SATA port 0. Check in the BIOS that the HD is being seen on that port.

IP Logged

micfung
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 1:31am

sihev
see my similar problem in Headings "Problems using NG-14 in migrate XP to a new HD".
i use other software to fix it up but not the NG-14.
Cheer
mic

IP Logged

sihev
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 4:00am

In disk management there are actually 4 partitions, first one is not named 55mb (healthy EISA configuration), second is d with 10GB, third is OS C with 236.9GB and fourth is J with 218.81.

The new HDD is plugged into SATA port 0.

I have just re-formatted and tried disk copy again with Ghost 14, and this time it booted up and started Windows and then said something about sorting out desktop,then went to a light blue screen and did nothing further.

I was able to go into task manager and it advised that most of the "services" had been stopped.

When started Vista with old HDD again, everything ok.

So to summarise, can now boot, but can't get desktop to work!!

Any ideas

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 5:04am

@
sihev

As in the previous thread, you copied into a partition with a drive letter so Windows won't boot. Also, the Vista partition offset is different from the old HD as you didn't copy the Dell Diagnostic partition and the D: drive. You need to zero the Disk ID and run a BCD Edit. Then Vista will boot. I'd use BING.

Download BootIt NG. There is a one month trial usage. Unzip the file and make a boot CD.

double click makedisk.exe, next
dot in I accept the agreement, next
no tick for Registration, next
dot in Mouse Support Enabled, next
dot in VESA Video, next
dot in Partition Work (Don't put a dot in Normal), next
don't choose any Default Device Options (if necessary, these can be chosen in BING), next
leave Registration strings blank, next
select your CD burner drive letter (you can use a CD-RW or a CD-R disc)
Finish

Boot from the CD....

the BootIt NG CD boots to the Work with Partitions window
Using the radio buttons on the left side of the Work with Partitions window, select the appropriate hard drive. (It should  be HD 0)
click the "View MBR" button.
click the "Clear Sig" button. Then click OK on the Notice.
click the "Apply" button.
click the "View MBR" button again and confirm the number in the left bottom corner is 0x00000000
click Cancel
click Close on the "Work with Partitions" window

Now you should run a BCD Edit so stay in BING.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=318

When the BCD Edit has completed, click Reboot and remove the CD. Vista should boot. All OK?

IP Logged

sihev
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 4:16pm

How do you zero disk ID, do you mean format the new HDD? or remove the drive letter? please advise

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 4:41pm

Sorry, I was too brief. Just follow the instructions in Reply #5. Clear Sig does zero the Disk ID (also called the Disk Signature).

Vista should be booting in 5 minutes.

IP Logged

sihev
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 6:05pm

Thanks, done all the bits to "close work with partitions", but how do you run a BCD edit?

I have bootit ng screen with various icons, but none say BCD edit.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 6:07pm

IP Logged

sihev
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 6:18pm

Sorry, been a bit thick, when in boot entry point 4, do I choose <boot> or HD0 and OS0?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 6:21pm

I've tried both. Both work.

IP Logged

sihev
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 6:38pm

Fantastic work, you are really one clever bloke, when all seemed to be lost, especially in other forums, you could see what was wrong all along.  Also BootIt NG is a nice bit of kit too.

One question, if I ever need to change this hard drive to a newer one, will I need to use the CD again, or will NG14 copy the disk and the boot details across to the new HDD correctly.

Oh, and second question, on old HDD was the J drive with all games in it.  If I use NG14 to copy the J drive to a partition on the new HDD, will all games work ok?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 6:45pm

Nice work. Give me a little time and I'll answer those questions. It should be bed time for you.

IP Logged

sihev
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Reply #14 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 6:48pm

Thanks again for your time, its much appreciated.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print