Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bootable dvd problem... (Read 12218 times)
bdub
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington DC

bootable dvd problem...
Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:21pm

hi, i am new to this forum, but i have a problem i was hoping to get some help on... this is on ghost 11.0.1.
i successfully have made an image that emulates a 2.88meg floppy disk, and can use roxio to create a bootable dvd that has an ghost image contained on it.  when i boot to the dvd, ghost comes up and i can see all the hdd's and partitions fine...
...but i cannot see the image portion of the bootable dvd on a sata interfaced dvd rw.  i read somewhere i can use gcdrom.sys to fix this issue, but how do i inject that file into my ima file in a way it loads and works?

thanks for your considerations... 

EDIT...
as an update, i was assuming my bootable dvd would read on a regular dvd rw... it sees the drive and the space where the image should be, but it says the image was not created with symantec ghost, and will not open the file.
i am sure i used the "cd/dvd startup boot package with ghost" to create the floppy, can anyone clue me to why i can't read from the drive (a standard IDE dvd rw)?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: bootable dvd problem...
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 12:00pm

@
bdub

Welcome to Radified Forums.

Looks like you are having two different issues with using optical drives in DOS:

Quote:
...but i cannot see the image portion of the bootable dvd on a sata interfaced dvd rw.  i read somewhere i can use gcdrom.sys to fix this issue, but how do i inject that file into my ima file in a way it loads and works?

Correct, SATA optical drives need a different DOS driver to *mount* the optical drive through a SATA controller interface--and *gcdrom.sys* is the DOS driver for SATA optical drives.

Here's a reference regarding the syntax used in DOS for *gcdrom.sys*:  GCDROM for DOS command line syntax

Optical drives are *mounted* by loading the optical driver in *config.sys*.  The most common optical disc drive driver for PATA optical drives is *oakcdrom.sys*--here's a sample of a typical command line in the *config.sys* boot file:

device=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001

The */d:mscd001* is the device name that has to be used by the *mscdex.exe* file in *autoexec.bat*  to assign a DOS drive letter to the optical drive.  So, here's a typical command line for *mscdex.exe* in *autoexec.bat*:

mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /l:x /m:16 /v

Notice that the *device name* from *config.sys* is used to find the mounted optical drive so the DOS drive letter can be assigned.

So, you would replace the PATA optical drive driver (oakcdrom.sys) with the SATA optical drive driver (gcdrom.sys) in *config.sys*:

DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM000 /C0
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM001 /C1
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM002 /C2

You load the *gcdrom.sys* three different times in order for the DOS program to look for the SATA optical drive on each possible SATA controller (C0, C1, and C2) that may be present--if you know ahead of time which controller the optical drive is connected to, then you can load just the one command line.

And then, in autoexec.bat you have to tell *mscdex.exe* which device to assign the DOS drive letter to:

mscdex.exe /D:CDROM000 /D:CDROM001 /D:CDROM002  /l:x /m:16 /v

When booting, for any SATA controller that does not have a SATA optical drive hooked up to it, you will get an error message saying the device was not found--but, that's okay and you can just ignore that as long as the optical drive is found on the correct controller where it is hooked up to.

(By the way--you don't have to *replace* *oakcdrom.sys* with *gcdrom.sys*--if you want a more *universal* boot disc that can load either PATA or SATA controller based optical drives (or both if the system has both!), you could leave both programs in *config.sys*, and if the particular device and controller type is not present on the system, then you simply get the error message that the device was not found and the boot process proceeds.  *mscdex.exe* in *autoexec.bat* still needs each device name listed in case the device is found so a DOS drive letter will be assigned:

[config.sys]

device=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM000 /C0
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM001 /C1
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM002 /C2

[autoexec.bat]

mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /D:CDROM000 /D:CDROM001 /D:CDROM002  /l:x /m:16 /v

Quote:
it says the image was not created with symantec ghost, and will not open the file.
i am sure i used the "cd/dvd startup boot package with ghost" to create the floppy, can anyone clue me to why i can't read from the drive (a standard IDE dvd rw)?

The ability for Ghost to write an image file to an optical disc started back with Corp Ghost 7.5 and Retail Ghost 2003.  In order for Ghost to write an image to an optical disc, the optical drive has to be seen by Ghost's built-in optical drive driver that provides that ability to write to an optical disc. 

You are not using any DOS drivers or optical drives assigned a DOS drive letter--you can tell that Ghost is seeing a compatible optical drive that it can write to because the drive has the *@* in front of the drive description instead of a DOS drive letter--the *@* symbol means Ghost is using its built-in optical drive driver to access the optical drive rather than the DOS based drive letter assignment.

For some unknown hardware/software compatibility reason--if Ghost is using its built-in driver to access an optical drive--then the Ghost image file has to have been written by Ghost to the optical disc originally--there must be a certain hidden *flag* that indicate that the file was written to the optical disc by Ghost directly.

If, on the other hand, you use a third party optical disc authoring program to put an image file onto the optical disc that was not saved by Ghost to an optical disc originally, then Ghost will refuse to recognize the image file as a Ghost file--the special *flag* is missing. 

In this case, you must use the DOS based optical drive drivers that assign a drive letter to the optical drive.  Instead of accessing the optical drive by using the built-in Ghost driver that has the *@* symbol in front of the optical drive description, you must use the assigned DOS drive letter to access the data portion of the optical disc.  Now Ghost will be able to use the Ghost image file!

Let us know if this helped!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

bdub
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington DC

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 1:17pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 10th, 2009 at 12:00pm:
@
bdub

In this case, you must use the DOS based optical drive drivers that assign a drive letter to the optical drive.  Instead of accessing the optical drive by using the built-in Ghost driver that has the *@* symbol in front of the optical drive description, you must use the assigned DOS drive letter to access the data portion of the optical disc.  Now Ghost will be able to use the Ghost image file!

i'm assuming by what you state here, that if i do the autoexec.bat and other file structure from the first part of your instructions correctly, then this statement is what is achieved, correct?

this is all great information, and much more in-depth than the other info i was working off of.  thanks so much, and i will let you know how it goes.

IP Logged

bdub
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington DC

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 2:24pm

yes, success on the ide dvd image front!  still having an issue with the sata drives, though.  maybe i don't have the correct sata driver?  or maybe i have to put the sata ports in legacy mode?
i am using a tyan 5396 with 6321esb southbridge, which is modelled off the ich9r chip, i believe.  i use the 6 sata ports in raid mode to stripe several sets of drives, and would like NOT to have to change the sata ports to ide mode, if i can.
any help?

EDIT:  indeed, i put the sata controller in a type of legacy mode, and i can see the sata drive.

thanks so much!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 3:11pm

@
bdub

Quote:
still having an issue with the sata drives, though

Just to be clear (I am forever getting into trouble when I make assumptions  Wink ), you mean the SATA optical drives and not the HDDs--correct?

Quote:
indeed, i put the sata controller in a type of legacy mode, and i can see the sata drive

Again, to be clear--you had placed the SATA controller that the optical drives were hooked up to in a *legacy mode* and the SATA optical drives were not showing up?  And, you return the SATA controller to *native mode* and now the SATA DOS optical driver (GCDROM.SYS) now worked in DOS--correct?

Thanks for the feedback!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

bdub
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington DC

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 9:33am

yes, i am only talking about the optical drives, all the hdd's work fine in any mode.
for the second Q... on the motherboard i am working on for this project, a tyan 5396, i usually have the sata controller in raid mode, in which case i could not see the sata dvdrom at all (the ghost program would load from the cd, but i couldn't load the driver to run routines that include the sata dvdrom).  when i put the board into "compatible" mode, everything works wonderfully.

5396 bios -> advanced tab -> ATA controller (these worked)
PATA - enabled
SATA - enabled
Native Mode Operation - serial ATA
Sata Controller Mode Option - Compatible

these settings did not...(these are the settings i normally use to run the system)
Sata controller mode option - enhanced
   sata raid enable - enabled
sata raid + sata dvd support - enabled

of course, there are a few other ways to do these settings that i did not try, but if anyone needs this information down the line, i know what works for this controller.

does this answer your questions?

thanks again for the help!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 9:58am

@
bdub

Thanks for the detailed response--that makes it clearer!

Quote:
PATA - enabled
SATA - enabled

So, the system has both types of controller available!  If it's an option, if you could use the PATA controller for your optical drive access--you might be able to avoid having to change the BIOS settings just for using Ghost in DOS.

Quote:
Sata controller mode option - enhanced
sata raid enable - enabled
sata raid + sata dvd support - enabled

I presume these settings apply to all the SATA controllers at the same time--and can't be set for each SATA controller individually--I would assume that the *raid* function on the controller with the SATA optical drive is probably unnecessary.

IP Logged

bdub
N00b

I Love Radified!

Washington DC

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 9:24am

we usually use a pata dvdrw in our systems, but sometimes we throw a blu-ray drive in when asked for, and those only come in sata.  that's why i needed the gcdrom driver to work.

"sata raid + sata dvd support - enabled"  - this switch in the bios does enable me to use a sata optical source even with the sata controller in raid mode.  and yes, all 6 ports are active, but unlike some other controllers this one allows me to easily have single and raided drives at the same time.

if you've seen ich"X"r or esb intel controllers, this is what i'm using.  it's onboard the 5396, as was the 2696.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print