Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
...Scanning usb devices... (Read 12012 times)
Flix
N00b

I Love Radified!

Unknown

...Scanning usb devices...
Nov 12th, 2009 at 1:33pm

Hello; this is my first post, hope you guys can help.
I tried to read all the content i could to make sure i wouldn't be asking something already answered.
If so, i apologize.

So, let's get right to it.
I need to make a disk clone in notebook with a usb pen-drive using Ghost 8 (or 11, i have both available).
I followed the instructions in NightOwl's post "A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!" but had no success loading the Panasonic driver in dos; everything seems to work ok; but then comes the fearful "...Scanning USB devices..." message and it just hangs there for all eternity. I have tried different "Config.sys" setups, but nothing seems to work.
Maybe the notebook is just not compatible with the drivers, but i'd like to exhaust all possibilities on this; any guesses as to why this is happening and how could i overcome it?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: ...Scanning usb devices...
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 3:10pm

@
Flix

Quote:
I need to make a disk clone in notebook with a usb pen-drive

I need to understand better what you mean!

How are you booting to DOS--using a floppy disc, bootable optical disc, or bootable flash drive?

What USB devices are hooked up?  The only time I have a long delay when loading the USB DOS driver is if there is a USB device that the driver does not fully recognize.  I don't have the problem with the Panasonic USB DOS driver on my system, but the Ghost DOS USB driver *hangs* for about 8-10 minutes before it eventually will continue.  That only happens if I have my USB memory card reader hooked up to the system.  If I disconnect that, then that driver zips through the boot process!

Is there more than one USB controller on the system?  If only 1--is it USB 2.0, 1.1, or 1.0?  If more than 1--are they all of one type--i.e. USB 2.0--or are they mixed--i.e. USB 2.0 and USB 1.1?

And, what does it mean *make a disk clone in notebook*--what exactly is the Ghost procedure you are attempting?  Are you doing a direct clone--drive to drive?  Or creating a Ghost image?  Or....?

Quote:
using Ghost 8 (or 11, i have both available).

Depending on the version of Ghost 8--I think Ghost 8.2--and for sure all Ghost 11 versions--Ghost already has built-in USB drivers to access external USB devices--you may have a conflict of two software programs trying to control the USB controller at the same time.  (But, this shouldn't be the issue at this point in the boot process because Ghost has not been loaded yet!)

Have you attempted to boot to DOS and load Ghost without loading a DOS USB driver to see if the USB drive shows up in Ghost?

And, sometimes it's a conflict between the DOS USB driver and the BIOS of the notebook--if the BIOS is attempting to offer USB controller access--again there may be a need to disable the BIOS activity (if there are options for this in the BIOS) so it doesn't conflict with the DOS USB driver.  (This may be the most likely issue because the BIOS has access to the USB controller from the beginning of the boot process--and the loading of the DOS USB driver creates a conflict causing the freezing!  Might have to disable *Legacy USB support* and/or support for booting from a USB device.)

So--need more information as indicated above to begin to sort out all the possibilities!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Flix
N00b

I Love Radified!

Unknown

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 6:43am

Ok, thanks for the reply; here we go. Now, reading it, i understand what you mean; i'm sorry for the lack of information and poor explanation.

I have this notebook, from which i need to make a disk clone (or a disk image; i just need to restore it's OS in another machine of the same model).

I am using an usb floppy disk(maybe that's the problem =Z) since it's the easiest way to make so much changes to the DOS boot files without having to burn and wipe a cd over and over.
I'm using a set of boot floppy disks made by Ghost 8.0 which supposedly loads the usb drivers; but doesn't recognize my 120gb classic iPod (maybe that's the culprit =Z), though i do have other usb drives here which i can test; but i'm afraid they are short of space for the original drive size.
Version 11.5 boot cd's the same, it simply doesn't recognize it; that is, using the built-in Ghost drivers you mentioned.
Is the iPod not suited for the task? I'm using it because it's the only large enough device i have.
I'm not sure of what usb version the floppy is... But everything else i tried is usb 2.0; would loading usb 1.0 or 1.1 drivers too work; or just cause more problems?
Maybe i should make a set of boot disk without the Ghost drivers (only with the Panasonic and Motto Hairu) since you say they may be conflicting.

The notebook has very limited bios support; almost no options other than boot order. Bios update may be an option; but i don't think it would make much of a difference, Acer's new bios shouldn't be any better.

I thank you for your readiness and enlightening insights.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 1:42pm

@
Flix

Much better--I understand what you're attempting now!!!

Quote:
I have this notebook, from which i need to make a disk clone (or a disk image; i just need to restore it's OS in another machine of the same model

Just for completeness--we all like to think that two systems with the same model number are *identical*--that's never the exact truth!  Manufacturers are always making minor component changes--but, even if the two were made with the exact same components--many components have *unique* ID parameters--for instance the NICs will have unique MAC #s.  The CPU will have unique ID numbers.  The HDDs will have unique ID numbers.  Etc.  At the least, you will have to *Re-activate* the Windows registration because those items that have those unique ID's are what's used to create the stored *Activation* value--on the new system they will not match the old system's numbers!

Quote:
I am using an usb floppy disk....

I'm using a set of boot floppy disks made by Ghost 8.0....

Version 11.5 boot cd's the same, it simply doesn't recognize it...

So, looks like you're doing things several different ways--and as you have correctly noted--there are multiple *variables* regarding hardware--as well as software and settings for both!  So, it's important that we are talking *apples/apples* so we have an agreed upon starting point for making changes.  So, it would be best if you identify your starting boot disk or disc setup, and show the contents of [config.sys] and [autoexec.bat] and a list of boot files included.

So, firstly--I would attempt to boot from the basic Ghost boot floppy disk or optical disc and see if the external HDD shows up in the Ghost interface--if it does, then the built-in USB DOS driver is working.  You mention:
Quote:
but doesn't recognize my 120gb classic iPod (maybe that's the culprit =Z), though i do have other usb drives here which i can test; but i'm afraid they are short of space for the original drive size

Don't focus on a single USB HDD or worry about size just yet!  Try others to see if they are detected and show up in the Ghost interface!  You can decide what to do about needing more free space on a given drive after you know it will work!

Based on this result:

Quote:
"...Scanning USB devices..." message and it just hangs there for all eternity

it looks like you have added the Panasonic USB DOS driver to one of the boot disks--and it is not being successful in finding your USB components correctly--there's two possible problems at this point:

1.  the driver is not finding the USB controller on the notebook, or

2.  the drive is not finding the external USB HDD successfully.

When my Panasonic USB driver loads, it first shows the USB controllers that it has found--does yours report finding the USB controller(s)?  If *yes*, is it then when it looks for USB mass storage devices that it's hanging?  If *yes*--then try other USB HDDs to see if any others work!

Quote:
Maybe i should make a set of boot disk without the Ghost drivers (only with the Panasonic and Motto Hairu) since you say they may be conflicting.

Actually, based on what you've said so far, it's not likely that the Ghost built-in drivers are conflicting--at least not yet at the stage your system is *freezing*.  The Ghost USB drivers are not active until you have loaded the *ghost.exe* program.  If you're freezing when the Panasonic DOS driver is loading--then the conflict would be with the driver and the BIOS--or not being compatible with the USB controller and/or USB HDD.

To by pass the Ghost built-in USB drivers, you would start Ghost with the command line:

ghost.exe -nousb   

If your Ghost Boot Wizard is requiring you to place a check in a box saying to *add* USB drivers to the boot disk, then you have a Ghost version that's before the built-in USB drivers were added to the *ghost.exe* program.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Flix
N00b

I Love Radified!

Unknown

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 8:06am

*Re-activation* you say? That may be a problem, since Ghost is my last option to restore this notebook OEM OS; and if it needs reactivation it may not work...

I understand what you mean; i've read many posts about ghosting to another machine on the forums, but as you can see, i still need to give it a try.

I have a set of two boot disks made by Ghost 8.0 Corporate edition. It did ask me to check for the usb drivers (which i did)
I'm using the default autoexec.bat from Ghost 8.0 Corporate:
Code:
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+03:00
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
if %config% == FROMFLPY goto FLPYBOOT
if %config% == FROMCD goto CDBOOT

goto FAILED

:FLPYBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if exist a:\ghost\ghost.exe goto GHOSTFND
goto FLPYBOOT

:CDBOOT
echo To run Ghost.exe from a hard disk or CD, press Ctrl-C at the following prompt
echo then change to the appropriate drive letter and type 'Ghost'
pause
if not exist b:\ghost\ghost.exe goto CDBOOT
b:
goto GHOSTFND

:GHOSTFND
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE
goto END

:FAILED
echo Unknown boot menu selection
goto END

:END

Config.sys is configured to load both, Ghost and Panasonic drivers; is this a problem? I tried to follow the model on your post about the Panasonic Drivers; does the order of the lines makes any difference?
Code:
[menu]
menuitem=FROMFLPY, This computer was started from a Ghost boot disk
menuitem=FROMCD, This computer was started from a Ghost bootable CD

[FROMFLPY]

[FROMCD]

[COMMON]
DEVICE = usb\uhci.exe
DEVICE = usb\ohci.exe
Device=himem.sys
Device=usbaspi.sys /v
Device=di1000dd.sys
Dos=high,umb
LASTDRIVE=Z

The files contained it the disk are:
Code:
GHOST (folder; contains nothing)
USB (folder; contains ohci.exe and uhci.exe)
COMMAND.COM
MOUSE.COM
AUTOEXEC.BAT
CONFIG.SYS
di1000dd.sys
HIMEM.SYS
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
Usbaspi.sys
MOUSE.INI

The second disk contains autoexec.bat (with the same code as the previous) and the folder GHOST which contains GHOST.EXE.

With this setup, which i hope to be a good one, the Panasonic driver does list the controllers; it seems to hang when it tries to load the fourth usb device (very strange... and sad that i noted this now).
It searches for the other three and founds *nothing* and starts hanging right at the fourth.

Now, the ghost drivers do load before in Ghost 8.0; it does ask  the Panasonic drivers; i'll try disabling them and see what happens and use the -nousb switch just to be safe.

I did have some success with Ghost driver; but strangely when trying to make an *Disk to Image* operation i can't see the driver on the list; but it does show up as a disk in other options. *Disk to Image* would be ideal because of the compression and span ability (since the usb driver detected is small; Ghost drivers did not recognize the iPod), is it possible to span a *Disk to Disk* operation?

Besides that i've been having problems with formatting the disks using Vista and Ghost 8; so i simply format them before and uncheck Ghost's option to format the disks (Ghost can't write the file system if i don't do this). What cluster size should i use? Maybe that's the problem; that would be most funny.

I thank you once again.

Edit: Disabling Ghost drivers and the -nousb switch didn't work; i even tried a config with only the Panasonic drivers and Motto Hairu checking "Override BIOS USB control" on Ghost boot disk creation wizard; all the same.

IP Logged

Adiuvo
Ex Member

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 2:36am

Hi Flix,

Just to let you know you're not alone with this issue.

I've just got a new laptop and tried to use my old floppy boot disks, complete with USB drivers, and it hangs like yours.

My old laptop has a 32 bit CPU running 32 bit XP with a SATA HDD (had some fun getting that going, way back when)

The new one's got a 64 bit CPU, 32-bit OS (need that for some software that's not 64 bit) Vista and, I think, a SATA HDD.

I wanted to Ghost before upgrading to Windows 7, 32 bit.

Like you, I've tried changing some of the config.sys settings but so far not got it to recognise my external HDD. It's the same external USB HDD that works on my old laptop with the same floppy boot disk. I've several other external USB HDD's so I'll follow Nightowls suggestion and see if any of those are recognised.

I've a legitimate copy of Ghost 9.0 but only ever used the old DOS command line Ghost (build 775).

When (if?) I make some progress I'll post again.

IP Logged

Flix
N00b

I Love Radified!

Unknown

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 12:43pm

@ Adiuvo:
Thank you; i appreciate your feedback.

Haven't done any progress;
When (if?) I make some progress I'll post again.˛

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 12:55pm

@
Flix

Quote:
I have a set of two boot disks made by Ghost 8.0 Corporate edition. It did ask me to check for the usb drivers (which i did)

Well, that means the your version of Ghost does not have *built-in* USB drivers.  And that causes the Boot Wizard to add the needed DOS USB drivers to the boot disk and the boot files.

Quote:
[COMMON]
DEVICE = usb\uhci.exe
DEVICE = usb\ohci.exe

So, those are the USB 1.0 and 1.1 DOS drivers.  But, in Ghost 2003 where similar DOS USB drivers are loaded, there is also a second DOS driver for the USB access and is loaded in *autoexec.bat*.  It's *guest.exe*--but I don't see that anywhere in the information you have posted.  So, maybe Ghost 8 no longer needs that additional USB driver--I don't know!

Quote:
Config.sys is configured to load both, Ghost and Panasonic drivers; is this a problem?

Yes, it should be one or the other, but not both!

Is your USB devices USB 1.x or 2.0?  They need to be compatible!  If your controller is USB 1.x and your iPod is USB 2.0--then the Ghost USB DOS drivers above will not work!

By the way, is the *120gb classic iPod* considered a *USB HDD*--I'm not familiar with that hardware.

Now, the Panasonic USB DOS driver loads both USB 1.x and USB 2.0 drivers--so, in theory it should determine what each device USB type is present--but, will the iPod work compatibly with USB 1.x, if that's what's on the laptop--or is the iPod USB 2.0 only compatible?  If that's the case, and the laptop's USB controller is USB 1.x--then the two will never work together!

Quote:
the Panasonic driver does list the controllers; it seems to hang when it tries to load the fourth usb device

Do you have *other* USB devices hooked up?  Or, is the driver scanning for all possibilities and is simply not finding those that don't exist.  For instance it could search for a USB 2.0 controller but if one is not present, then it will not be *found*!

Quote:
Besides that i've been having problems with formatting the disks using Vista and Ghost 8; so i simply format them before and uncheck Ghost's option to format the disks (Ghost can't write the file system if i don't do this).

If you want to save an image to a HDD, the HDD has to be formatted prior to use by Ghost.  I'd use FAT32 for an external USB HDD.  Ghost will only *format* a drive if you are cloning directly *disk-to-disk* or *from image-to-disk*.  Doing partition cloning--a partition has to already exist on the destination drive to have Ghost restore or clone a *partition-to-partition*.

IP Logged

Flix
N00b

I Love Radified!

Unknown

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 9:03am

@NightOwl (nice nickname btw!)
No sign of guest.exe...

I did try Panasonic only and Ghost only disks; nil.
The iPod is 2.0; but i'm not sure about my floppy disk, i'm guessing it will be a hard task to find out, since it's generic Mitsumi USB floppy.

Maybe the conflict between the 2 devices is causing the problem with the Panasonic drivers; but from what i've heard iPod Classic 120 should work compatibly with USB 1.X; and i don't have a clue about why a ghost driver only disk won't recognize it; though it recognizes other usb devices (with hurtingly  slow speeds; but it does).

I think i'll try optical media to clear any doubts about conflicts between the floppy and the drivers.

I believe the iPod is supposed to work as an HDD also; and the controllers on the notebook are 2.0, i am sure.

This notebook is actually so ridiculous it has only 2 USB ports, so even if i wanted, apart from the USB floppy and the USB HDD i cannot use any other USB devices.

Apparently it's searching for all the possibilities and simply  not finding the ones that don't exist, but as i do not really understand the PID list the scanning screen shows i cannot be sure; though it does load all the controllers and starts hanging when scanning for the fourth device; which may be the one i'm using or may not.

In truth i already found an USB device that has the size i need which ghost drivers work with; but i feel like it would be a disfavor not to help other people with the same problem; i want to get to the bottom of this.

Last, but no least i apologize for the confusion on your last answer; by disks, i meant floppy disks, not USB HDDs; and if i it would be best to use a certain cluster size, since i'm unable to format using Ghost Boot Wizard references.

I thank you once again.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 12:58pm

@
Flix

Quote:
I am using an usb floppy disk(maybe that's the problem =Z)

Actually--maybe it IS!

I just finished helping another forum member here:  Having problems creating image with usb hard drive (when booting from a USB floppy drive!)--and it occurred to me that perhaps your problem is the same issue!

When you boot from your USB floppy drive, when it first begins loading DOS--press the F8 key--you should get the option to do a *Step-by-Step* confirmation of each command line in your *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* files (if using MS-DOS, you will first be asked if you want to save a *log file*--I say *No* to this.  Go through each step--after what command loaded does the boot stall?  If it's just after one of these commands:

Quote:
DEVICE = usb\uhci.exe
DEVICE = usb\ohci.exe
Device=usbaspi.sys /v

that's when the above USB DOS driver takes control of the USB controller and mounts the USB HDD's so they are seen in DOS.  But, by taking control of the USB controller, that may also take over control so the USB floppy drive is no longer being read!  And, if that's the case, then the boot process will stall there because the next step can not be taken by reading the floppy disk!

You could try adding that floppy drive RAM driver (The Panasonic USB DOS RAM Floppy Driver--RAMFD.SYS) and see it that solves the issue:

Quote:
[menu]
menuitem=FROMFLPY, This computer was started from a Ghost boot disk
menuitem=FROMCD, This computer was started from a Ghost bootable CD

[FROMFLPY]

[FROMCD]

[COMMON]
device=ramfd.sys
DEVICE = usb\uhci.exe
DEVICE = usb\ohci.exe
Device=himem.sys
rem  Device=usbaspi.sys /v
rem  Device=di1000dd.sys
Dos=high,umb
LASTDRIVE=Z

(you need to put the *rem  * (rem=*remark*--this allows the information after the *rem  * to be seen as text and not a command--it is *ignored* during boot) in front of the panasonic drivers--or in front of the Ghost USB DOS driver lines--i.e. *DEVICE = usb\uhci.exe* and *DEVICE = usb\ohci.exe* so as to not load both!)

So, you list of files on the first boot disk should be:

Quote:
GHOST (folder; contains nothing)
USB (folder; contains ohci.exe and uhci.exe)
COMMAND.COM
MOUSE.COM
AUTOEXEC.BAT
CONFIG.SYS
di1000dd.sys
HIMEM.SYS
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
Usbaspi.sys
MOUSE.INI
ramfd.sys

Because the *RAMFD.sys* can only put a standard 1.44 MB floppy disk size amount of data into the RAM drive--and you are using a two floppy boot disk set--you will not be able to load Ghost from that second floppy disk!  You will need to put you *ghost.exe* onto your iPod in its root directory, which I hope has a FAT 32 file system--if it's NTFS then this will not work--DOS can not access, read, or load files from a NTFS partition!

You would then follow these instructions that are in your *autoexe.bat* file and you should see them when booting:

[autoexe.bat]

Quote:
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+03:00
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
if %config% == FROMFLPY goto FLPYBOOT
if %config% == FROMCD goto CDBOOT

goto FAILED

:FLPYBOOT
pause
if exist a:\ghost\ghost.exe goto GHOSTFND
goto FLPYBOOT

:CDBOOT
echo To run Ghost.exe from a hard disk or CD, press Ctrl-C at the following prompt
echo then change to the appropriate drive letter and type 'Ghost'

pause
if not exist b:\ghost\ghost.exe goto CDBOOT
b:
goto GHOSTFND

:GHOSTFND
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE
goto END

:FAILED
echo Unknown boot menu selection
goto END

:END

So, you need to watch when booting and if your iPod is assigned a DOS drive letter, you would change to that drive, then type *ghost*.  Ghost should load if the iPod has been assigned a DOS drive letter and the file system is FAT 32.

Any help?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print