Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Backup to external usb dvd drive (Read 3349 times)
Jabz1
Ex Member

Backup to external usb dvd drive
Nov 17th, 2009 at 1:28pm

I am trying to create a ghost 2 disk floppy, (ver.793) that I can use on my multple pc's to make backups to DVD-R discs(non rewritable) Mixture of intel and via boards.
Using msdos from 98se floppy.

model Sony DRX-83u external usb DVD-RW

From the get go on the first system so far I am assume this is not as easy as backing up to internal HD or DVD.
Intel board BIOS detects as "sony dvdrw as dru-830" under boot> ATAPI cdrom with legacy usb and usb boot options set to disable.  I have left the legacy support in the bios to disabled since both here and the intel pdf for the board said it could cause conflicts.

I have tried:
Standard disk with usb for 1.1 and 2.0 and advanced settings
generic startup disk with ghost
generic usbaspi.sys, but not sure if I edited config and autoexec files correctly.

Is this possible?

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Backup to external usb dvd drive
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 11:33am

@
Jabz1

Quote:
I am trying to create a ghost 2 disk floppy, (ver.793) that I can use on my multple pc's to make backups to DVD-R discs(non rewritable)

Is this possible?

Short answer--No!

Longer answer--Ghost build 793 is Ghost 2003.  It was created before there were many (if any) external optical writers available--so Ghost 2003 was not programed to meet that objective.  Norton Ghost 2003 compatibility with CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD drives.  I see 2 DVD drives and several CD drives with a USB interface, but I suspect that's for *read only* and not writing!  And to be honest, I have never seen anyone report that they have access to an external USB optical drive using the USB DOS drivers supplied by Ghost (i.e. the Iomega DOS USB drivers).

Quote:
Standard disk with usb for 1.1 and 2.0 and advanced settings
generic startup disk with ghost
generic usbaspi.sys

Ghost 2003 did ship with the ability to access external USB HDDs, but that access is created by loading separate USB DOS drivers in the boot files as you mention above.  But, that is for HDDs only as far as I have ever seen as mentioned above.

There is a DOS driver that allows for access to an external USB optical drive, Yes, there are USB drivers for DOS..., but that is a *read only* access, not writing to access!  Note where it talks about a USB optical drive driver:

Quote:
rem The following one loads CD-ROM driver
devicehigh=USBCD.SYS /d:USBCD001

In order for Ghost 2003 to write to an optical drive, Ghost has to recognize and be able to access the optical drive with its own built-in optical drive drivers.  As far as I'm aware, the optical drives that meet that criteria are *internal* and PATA controller based optical drives.

You know that Ghost is using its built-in optical drive drivers if your optical drive shows up in the Ghost program interface with *@* in front of the description of your optical drive.  If your optical drive shows up with a DOS drive letter in front of the drive description--then only reading from the drive will be available--no writing to!

More recent versions of the DOS based Ghost that is now only available through the Corporate versions of Ghost, i.e. Ghost Solution Suite, may now have the ability to write to external USB optical writers--but I don't know that for sure.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print