Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
3 partitions, differnt OS question (Read 5361 times)
russ
N00b

I Love Radified!

3 partitions, differnt OS question
Nov 19th, 2009 at 3:33am

I am using NG9 and am not sure how to do this.
I have a 400 GB drive with three partitions. 1. NTFS 2. FAT 3. NTFS.  I want to copy/clone these over to a Smaller drive.  98% of the 400GB drive is not used. I want to put it on a a number of drives from 13GB to 200GB as extra backups.  Partition #1 is the active drive and I am running XP.  I have to get this done fast and I got lost  in the terminology. I am new fairly new to NG 9. Can someone help me out with this.  Thank you very much
Russ

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: 3 partitions, differnt OS question
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 5:24am

@
russ

The only reliable way to clone to a smaller partition is to resize the source partition to the size of the target partition and then clone. It may work without resizing but it depends on the data spread in the source partition.

If your original partition was....( * is sectors in use, - is free space)

[---**----**--]

then the target partition to restore into can not be smaller than...

[---**----**]   

The following will not work although it has space for the data,   [****-]   

For backups, creating an image (recovery point) is what most folks do. Not cloning.

IP Logged

russ
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 5:56am

Thank you for the advise. I could use a little more help with this, if anyone is still reading. I managed to find a drive that was the same size and attempted to make a copy. As we know, NG9 won't copy a whole drive that has more than one partition in one step.  So I tried a number of things but in the end I couldn't get a correct copy.  First off the source drive has three partitions. Here is how they are laid out.

#1  Primary 31.14GB NTFS Active
#2  Extended, Logical, FAT 2.0 GB
#3  Extended, Logical, NTFS 4.13GB

The problems are in setting up the destination drive.  I am doing this in WinXP.  I think I got the first Partition correct. First off I deleted the old partitions.  Then I created a primary partition of 31.14GB and marked it active. I did not format the drive or give it a drive letter. (is that correct?) I then used  NG9 to restore the drive.  It seemed to work but no drive letter which I think at this point is ok?

But the two logical drives I couldn't seem to restore.  How do I prep the restore drive for the 2nd and 3rd partition? 
Here is what I tried.  I created an extended partition that used the rest of the drive.  I then created  a logical drive with 2.0 GB in size.  And another with 4.13GB in size which filled out the drive. (They are only 40GB drives)
I then tried NG restore and it didn't work. I got nothing showing in the WinXP manage drives. No volume name and no data filled in. I then tried the same thing above but I tried to format with the correct file system (FAT for #2 and NTFS for #3) and give them a volume name.  Then NG restore and it didn't match the restore drive in the amount of data and I couldn't access it.  So what am I doing wrong.  Is there anywhere that shows the steps you follow to do something like this?  The download for the NG9 manual no longer works at the Norton site.  I read through some of this site but it was never clear about this or I missed it. 
Any help with this would be appreciated.  It is for a POS system in a restaurant and it has to work correctly or I am shit.  Thank you very much
Russ

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 2:32pm

russ wrote on Nov 21st, 2009 at 5:56am:
So I tried a number of things but in the end I couldn't get a correct copy.

Did the target HD boot?

russ wrote on Nov 21st, 2009 at 5:56am:
I did not format the drive or give it a drive letter. (is that correct?) I then usedNG9 to restore the drive.It seemed to work but no drive letter which I think at this point is ok?

Excellent.

You don't need to use Ghost for the logical drives. Just copy and paste the data from the old to the new HD. (Into the logical drives you have created) Then remove the old HD and boot from the new HD to make sure it works.

IP Logged

micfung
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 3:52am

russ,
See my forum " Problems using NG-14 in migrate XP to a new HD".
I got similar problem : i use the new hd to cater for my existing XP, a new parition for upgrade to Windows 7, n of course a new parition for data.
I am not selling the Spotmau, but this stuff can also
help u to resize (reduce yr unused volume in drive) yr old hd (including the OS C:\ drive).
Once u resize the existing hd, u may use the NG or ... to clone/copy to a new hd.
Try yr luck!!
Cheesy

IP Logged

micfung
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 4:06am

Sorry,
The correct way is:-
i use the EASEUS Partition Master to resize the drive not the Spotmau.
THe Spotmau is for copy/clone only.
Smiley

IP Logged

russ
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 4:45am

Last question (I hope)  I  now have a correct copy so far.  I haven't booted it yet but I think it might boot.  Here is the thing I am concerned about.  I did all of the copy/clone stuff in Windows XP.  I am going to put this drive in a NT computer, as the main and only drive.   The drive at the moments has the drive letters H: I: J: When I put it in the NT setup, how do I get the drive to come up C:D:E:.  I was reading that XP writes the drive letter into the drive.  Do I do the FIX MBR and if I do where do I run it from?  Do I let the computer boot into NT? What if it won't boot.  This computer has different hardware and I need to run the motherboard driver disk somehow on the new computer.  The last partition has NT_SETUP and I hope it  has all of the NT Files to rebuild the boot partition. I am not the familiar with NT so I hope this all works.  Thanks again, again. Russ

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 12:33am

@
russ

I'm confused. Did you have the restaurant HD in your computer for the cloning process? That's not ideal but see if it boots in the restaurant computer. If it doesn't boot I suggest repeat cloning in the restaurant computer using "Copywipe for DOS".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print