Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crashed HD (Disk) Re-installing saved Ghost Images a new HD (Read 2833 times)
tiff07
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Port Elizabeth    S.A.

Crashed HD (Disk) Re-installing saved Ghost Images a new HD
Nov 19th, 2009 at 10:53am

I have a computer with two Hard Drives (Disks).
(1) HD1 = 1 Active Primary Partition (OS: XP SP3) + 3 Logical Drives in an Extended Partition.
(2) HD2 = 1 Unalocated Partition + 3 Logical Drives in an Extended Partition.
I use one Logical partition in each HD to save the Ghost Backup Images of all the Partitions in the other HD.
Unfortunately I have no space available to fit a whole BU Image of both HD1 and HD 2 or even just HD1 complete, so only have made all individual Ghost Partition Backups using ghost 14.  These work great, and I have set up a schedule to back them all up on a regular basis.  (The obvious solution would be to get another drive to accommodate the Ghost images of both Hard Drives, but I want to avoid that step).
Now my concern:  In the case of a crash of HD1, please confirm, or otherwise, that can I can install a new replacement HD (or Disk) of the same size, or larger, by using Norton Partition Magic to create partitions in the brand new HD, using similar sized partitions, or proportionally larger sizes, in the case of a larger HD replacement, and then restore the individual Ghost Partition BU Images that I already have of the old HD1’s partitions?
My concern is:  Does the Image BU of the Active Primary Drive of the former HD1, also have the MBR tables which are necessary to allow the computer to reboot correctly and will they recognize the partition size change? 
For that matter, have the other Partition Backups all the necessary information to be able to be restored correctly, into this new HD with the newly created partitions?   If so, this would enable me to re-instate the complete crashed drive (disk)?
I have read on Page 145 of the Ghost 14 manual, Section 8 on Page 159 infers that this is possible, but would like assurance that there will be no problem with booting up as the partition sizes would have been changed.   Please advise best solution, (apart from a new larger external HD!) if this is not possible. 
Many thanks.

tiff07  
IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Crashed HD (Disk) Re-installing saved Ghost Images a new HD
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 1:32pm

@
tiff07

Ghost will do exactly as you have described. No problems at all. The restored OS on the new HD will boot.

When you restore the OS image to another HD, tick set active, copy Disk Signature and copy MBR (in the options). You don't have to make these choices when you restore the images of your logical drives.

Even though the partitions on the new HD are different, that isn't a problem as the partition table isn't copied from the old to the new HD. "Copy MBR" just copies the boot code and the hidden sectors of the first track.

By the way, Ghost 14 can't make whole drive backup images, only partition images.

IP Logged

tiff07
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Port Elizabeth    S.A.

Re: Crashed HD (Disk) Re-installing saved Ghost Images a new HD
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 7:07am

Thanks Brian, I thought you might recognise me with that "Unallocated" Prime Partition on my HD2! (created following your advice some time ago!).  I just wanted to confirm that Ghost copied the MBR!  Yes, I did remember that Ghost 14 doesn't make whole HD (disk) Images, so thought it must copy the MBR with the Active Primary Partition's Image but needed to confirm this!  I was helping someone with Acronis True Image, but as it allows full HD Image BUs, I am not so sure if it also copies the MBR, with the Active Prime Partition, as you have now confirmed Ghost does, this would be a drawback, if it doesn’t!  Thanks again Brian, take care, and I am very pleased that you are still helping with Ghost issues so skillfully!
Bruce.

tiff07  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print