Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 and Windows 7 - No dual booting (Read 43470 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 2003 and Windows 7 - No dual booting
Reply #15 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 12:44pm

@
texdawg

I missed your post.

BING creates non formatted NTFS partitions. That's why the option is greyed out. The partition will be formatted automatically by the Win 7 install process.

Please see these posts by Dan Goodell re alignment and offsets. BING's default is for cylinder aligned partitions. I usually create cylinder aligned partitions for a Win7 install as it doesn't really matter which alignment you use and I forget to change the default. Both alignments work.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1190587619/30#30

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 4:40pm

I successfully installed BING yesterday with no problems.  So now Win XP shows as my one and only choice.  My student daughter was able to get Windows 7 at a very good price so I'll be installing 7 soon on my empty HD into the 50 GB partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 5:19pm

Just make sure that 50 GB partition is Active by clicking View MBR in BING. It probably will be Active anyway.

Win7 is the easiest of all the Microsoft OS to install. And the fastest to install.

Quote:
I successfully installed BING yesterday with no problems.  So now Win XP shows as my one and only choice.

Did you mean WinXP or Win7? Do you have both HDs installed? When you install Win7, only have one HD in the computer so the HD is recognized as HD0. You can attach the other HD later and set up the dual boot menu.
I think installing to a single HD in the computer is easier than...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=339

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 5:53pm

Thanks for pointing me to article 339.  The instructions are very clear as what to do.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 6:09pm

I'm glad you said that. I read it again and it's not so bad.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #20 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 5:13am

texdawg wrote on Jan 6th, 2010 at 4:40pm:
My student daughter was able to get Windows 7 at a very good price so I'll be installing 7 soon on my empty HD into the 50 GB partition.

That was a sweet deal, wasn't it?  $29 for either Win7 Home Premium or Professional!  My daughter (recently graduated) picked up one of those, and my son (now back in college) picked up another.  As an engineering student he also got a free one through MSDN Academic Alliance, and my wife was pleasantly surprised to discover she also got a free MSDNAA copy through her adult ed. class at the local community college!

Sadly, the $29 student deal expired Sunday.

My son's Inspiron 6000 is dual-booting XP and Win7-Pro, my wife's aging Dimension 4600 is smoothly running XP and Win7-Pro, and my daughter's Pavilion 6823 is now on Win7-Pro.  (The Pavilion came with Vista, so she had no desire to dual-boot--"good riddance!" was her sentiment.)

I agree that BING is one of the industry's best bargains.  I concur with Brian's preference for cylinder-aligned partitions (I still do a lot of quick partition adjustments with Partition Magic, which is not compatible with 2048-aligned partitions), and with his advice to pre-create partitions with PM or BING so Win7 doesn't stick you with a System Reserved Partition.

Depending on hard disk size, I like to make the partition size for XP around 30-40 GB, and for Win7 around 50-60 GB.  With a 750 GB disk I might even go 70 or 80.  (For lurkers, bear in mind I don't keep MyDocs/Pics/Music on the C: partition, but redirect them to a separate data partition.  That way, they can all be accessible regardless of which partition I'm booting from.)

I also stick a small DOS partition at the very front of the disk--about 50-70 MB is enough.  That's a good spot to install BING, but does double-duty as a convenient boot partition for running a number of DOS-based utilities like ptedit, editbini, mbrwork, tweakng, Partition Magic, Ghost 2003, et al.

(BTW, after you get your OS's setup, take a look at tweakng.  It will enable you to tweak BING's resolution and background image for a nice, classy look.)

BINGmenu.jpg (52 KB | 592 )
BINGmenu.jpg

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 6:13pm

Dan,

How did you get that nice background? I tried Tweak NG and couldn't do it.

In BING, Utility, Colors there is a menu very similar to Tweak NG but I had no luck there either.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #22 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 9:22pm

Brian wrote on Jan 7th, 2010 at 6:13pm:
In BING, Utility, Colors there is a menu very similar to Tweak NG ...

Well, how about that!  All these years, and I didn't realize the 'Colors' tool had been added there.  I've been using BING since 2002 (v1.29), so I went back and checked my old installation disks ... nope, the 'Colors' tool wasn't in BING back then.  So that's why I began using TweakNG.  It wasn't in my copy of v1.60, either, but looks like it was added in v1.70 at the end of 2004.

Nevertheless, TweakNG has the added feature that you can import/export your color scheme.  'BING->Utility->Colors' doesn't have that.  Setting the colors is tedious because you're not sure which characteristics you're changing, so after laboriously adjusting my colors way back then, being able to export the settings to a file was a welcome feature.  I've used the same file for years to quickly import my color scheme each time I moved to a new computer or added BING on one of the family computers.  (I've attached my color scheme file below.)

You specify your background picture in 'BING->Settings->Background'.  You need to set the color depth to one of the 64K settings or the picture's colors will be all wacky--I mostly use 1024x768x64K.  As I recall, the picture had to be in .pcx format.  (The current manual doesn't mention any other formats, so I guess support for other formats hasn't been added since I started doing this.)

So, pick the photo you want to use, and in a graphics editor resize/crop it to the desired dimensions (e.g., 1024x768), then save it in .pcx format.  (If your graphics editor can't do that, the freeware IrfanView can.)  Copy the .pcx and my .ng file into your BING partition.  Reboot into BING Maintenance, and in 'Settings' browse and select your .pcx file.  Boot into DOS, launch TweakNG and import my .ng file.  Note this instantly changes both your color scheme, and the resolution to 1024x768x64K.  Adjust the color scheme to suit your taste, then export your color scheme to your own file for safekeeping.  (I gave mine a .ng extension, but you can name it anything you want.)

ngcolors.zip (0 KB | 548 )

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 2:15am

Thanks. It took me ages to work out how to copy a 2 MB file to the BING partition as I couldn't access the BootIt EMBRM partition. I'm not sure how you did it but I found this...

Quote:
Method 2:  Drive Letter Access (Advanced users only)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note:  This procedure is only applicable if you have BootIt NG
installed to a dedicated hard drive partition.

1.  Boot with a BootIt NG floppy diskette or CD/DVD disc, and when the
     "Floppy Boot Menu" window appears, click the Maintenance button.

2.  On the BootIt NG desktop, click the "Partition Work" icon.  The "Work
     with Partitions" window appears.

3.  Select the hard drive and partition where BootIt NG is installed, and
     then click the Properties button.  The Properties window appears.

4.  In the "File System" drop-down list, select "6/6h: FAT-16".

5.  Click OK on the Properties window and close the "Work with Partitions"
     window to return to the BootIt NG desktop.

6.  On the BootIt NG desktop, click the "Boot Edit" icon.  The "Boot Menu"
     window appears.

7.  Select the boot entry that points to your normal operating system
     (e.g. Windows or Linux), and then click the Edit button.

8.  Ensure that, under "MBR Details", the partition containing BootIt NG
     is present, and not hidden.  Make changes if necessary.

9.  Reboot into your normal operating system.  The BootIt NG partition
     should now be accessible as a drive letter.

10.  If you wish to save your current BootIt NG color scheme, you will need
     to either save a copy of the existing BOOTITNG.ACS file on the BootIt
     NG partition, or rename it in place.

Rename the desired color scheme (.ACS) file to BOOTITNG.ACS, and copy
     it to the BootIt NG partition.  The color scheme will be in effect the
     next time you use BootIt NG.

Notes on Drive Letter Access:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-  If you are running Windows 2000 or later, and wish to remove the
    BootIt NG drive letter, you may do so as follows:

1.  Run the "Disk Management" applet.

2.  Right click the BootIt NG partition, and select the "Change Drive
        Letter and Paths..." menu item.

3.  Click the Remove button.

-  If desired, you may change the file system ID of the BootIt NG
    partition back to its original value.  To do this, follow steps 1-4
    under "Method 2" above.  In step 4, set the file system type to its
    previous value (the default is "223/DFh: BootIt EMBRM").

I'll keep your Color scheme. Nice.

In the Tweak NG readme there is a discussion on BOOTITNG.ACS which makes managing the color sets possibly easier.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #24 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 4:08am

Brian wrote on Jan 8th, 2010 at 2:15am:
It took me ages to work out how to copy a 2 MB file to the BING partition as I couldn't access the BootIt EMBRM partition. I'm not sure how you did it ...

I don't use a dedicated partition for BING.  I install it in my DOS partition.  I like to have a DOS partition anyway, so there's no point to giving BING its own partition.  Naturally, I then make the DOS partition one of my boot items.

Modern machines can see a USB flash drive from DOS, so no problem transferring files back and forth via flash drive.  In years past I've used a common FAT32 partition as an interim transfer location, or I temporarily made the DOS partition visible to Windows (like the reference you cited), or I transferred the files via network connection from DOS.  (I customized my DOS partition with a batch menu to load a tcp/ip driver via the techniques NetBootDisk uses.)

Moving/replacing .acs files looks like more work than using TweakNG, but I guess that's the way to do it if BING is in a dedicated partition.  My BING and DOS are the same partition, though, so I can boot straight into it.  From there, it's "tweakng", three mouse clicks,  and I'm done.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 4:36am

More ideas came to me. Using TBOSDT from WinXP, I can copy files to or from hidden partitions such as my BING.

For those unfamiliar with TBOSDT, type

list hd 0    (lists the partitions on HD0 and their IDs)

If BING has an ID of 77, mount BING as drive 0: by

mount 0:  0 0x77

Then the copy line..

copy c:\path\filename 0:\
exit

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #26 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 8:01pm

list hd 0    (lists the partitions on HD0 and their IDs)

If BING has an ID of 77, mount BING as drive 0: by

mount 0:  0 0x77

Nice tip, Brian.  I haven't tinkered around with tbosdt much before.  It's not just for Terabyte-proprietary partitions, so looks like a nice tool that could come in handy at times.

Stumped me a for a moment until I figured out those are all numeric-zeroes--no alpha-oh anywhere in there.  (I was expecting 0: to be the drive letter.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 2:47pm

I find TBOSDT very challenging. One of the tools that has a lot of potential is the OSDTOOL. This can...

install IDE and SATA drivers to a non booting OS
enable and disable Services in a non booting OS
change the HAL in a non booting OS

I've used it after restoring an image of an IDE HD computer to a SATA HD computer with a different HAL. The SATA HD computer boots into Windows and then you need to deal with hardware specific drivers.

To play with the OSDTOOL in Windows, double click tbosdtw.exe in the win folder, type
runtbs ..\scripts\osdtool.tbs
and press Enter.

You can also try the beta version with
runtbs ..\scripts\osdtool_beta_304.tbs

From Windows, you can only use it to see non running OS.

The offline version is present on the IFL CD (for working outside Windows). Or you can add it to a TBOSDT USB flash drive.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #28 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 1:40am

Dan,

I'm using your colors but I prefer 640x480 resolution. However the Boot Menu does cover most of the background image. Oh well.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #29 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 6:13pm

Brian,

Installing Windows 7 as a dual boot has been a real nightmare today.  Hours of attempts to no avail.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print