Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 and Windows 7 - No dual booting (Read 43467 times)
Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: Ghost 2003 and Windows 7 - No dual booting
Reply #30 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 1:49am

What's the nature of your problem, texdawg?  Is the problem with Windows 7, or is it with the dualbooting?  Can we assume you've run the Win7 compatibility report and that Win7 would install successfully if you were single-booting?

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #31 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 10:27am

I have dual booting set up and I'm trying to install Win 7 on an empty drive.  I'm installing an upgrade version of Win 7 Ultimate.  My existing version of XP is XP Professional.  I'm consistently getting a generic message during the installation concerning a hardware problem.  I wish the pop-up would at least say which specific hardware.  I did look at the Win 7 logs and saw some hardware devices with the message ...Failed!.  I disconnected everyone of these as they are peripherals.  My last problem is that Win 7 can't find an ACPI driver to match my MOBO and things it is a hardware problem apparently.

By looking at the log files I see that Win 7 is digging into the *.inf files in my Win XP installation to get hardware information.  It seems that BootNG is not "hiding" my Win XP partition from Win 7.

I wish I could understand the log files a little bit better.

I'm ready to pull my HD with XP on it so Win 7 will truly only see one HD, the one I'm installing to.

Anyways, although a bit frustrating, this is all a good learning experience.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #32 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 10:32pm

Okay, so sounds like the issue is getting Win7 installed on your particular hardware, so it's not really a multiboot issue (at this point, anyway).

Your first step should be to download the "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor" from Microsoft.  Boot into your existing XP and run the Upgrade Advisor.  It will tell you what hardware or software Win7 will have issues with.  If it's going to have driver issues with some of your hardware, you'll need to research that beforehand and see if you can find suitable drivers yourself.  In many cases, if Vista drivers are available those will work.  What you're mainly concerned with are your internal devices (video, audio, motherboard, etc.).  You can choose not to use peripherals or software, but non-functional internal devices could render Win7 a "no-go" on that system.

If it doesn't look like there are any real "show-stoppers" in the Upgrade Advisor's report, then you should proceed by separating the parts of your project and tackling them one at a time.  IOW, take multibooting out of the scenario for the time being and work on getting Win7 installed by itself and working properly with your hardware.

Since you've already installed BING, temporarily deactivate or uninstall it so you're not multibooting.  IIRC, you're using multiple hard disks, so remove any other hard disks (or disable them in the bios) except the one that Win7 will be installed on.  If the disk you are installing Win7 on has other partitions, hide those partitions and make sure the target for Win7 is the active partition.  (You can do this with ptedit or by booting from the BING CD and going into maintenance mode from the CD.)  Now you've got a simple one disk, one partition system for Win7 to deal with.

"I'm installing an upgrade version of Win 7 Ultimate.  My existing version of XP is XP Professional."
Are you trying to upgrade Win7 on top of (a copy of) an existing XP installation?  I don't recommend that.  Do a clean install instead.  The Win7 upgrade DVD can do a full install, so boot from the DVD instead of launching the DVD from within XP.

Refer to Paul Thurrott's site for some screenshots.  When you get to the first screen in Part 2 ("Which type of installation do you want?"), select "Custom (advanced)".  Your disk is already partitioned, so the next screen ("Where do you want to install Windows?") should show your partitions.  If you made it active earlier, the target partition for Win7 should be called C:.  Make sure it is selected, and click "Drive options (advanced)".  Format the partition so Win7 has a clean slate to work with.  Then let Setup continue with the bulk of the installation.

When you get to the bottom screen in Part 4 ("Type your Windows product key"), leave it blank and uncheck the box, "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online".  (I recommend getting everything working right before activating.  As Paul Thurrott mentions elsewhere, delaying activation can also avoid activation failures due to upgrade vs. clean install confusion.)

When Win7 is finished installing, manually install any drivers you need to take care of yellow question-marks in Device Manager.

Once Win7 is installed and working properly, you can activate it, reinstall other hard disks, reinstall BING, and let BING control which partitions are hidden or visible.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #33 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 11:01am

No, I'm not trying to install on top of XP, just a dual boot.

I'm going to disable all my other HD's so Win 7 can only see my blank one for the installation.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll have to wait to this weekend to try it again.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #34 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 9:01pm

Dan,

Your instructions worked perfectly.  Thank you.  If you're ever in El Paso stop in and we'll have a few beers together.

And the dual booting is working great!

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #35 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 9:58pm

Glad to hear that, texdawg.  Next, you'll want to make a backup image of the Win7 partition before anything happens to it.

Before you do that, though, use BING to fix Win7's BCD store.  Once you do that, the image will be a little more versatile because you'll be able to restore it to any disk or any partition instead of only to the same partition it came from.  (Of course you can always fix it with BING after a restore, but I like having the fix already embedded in my image.)

Go into BING's maintenance mode, select [Partition Work], highlight the Win7 partition, click the [Properties] button, then the [BCD Edit] button.  Go through each item in the Menu and Boot sections, and edit any "Device" or "OS Device" entries so they show "{boot}" instead of a particular disk and partition.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #36 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 7:01am

I also have to do the registry changes in order to activate Windows 7 properly.  Right now I'm getting the message about doing a clean install with an upgrade version as being a no-no.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #37 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 7:45pm

Hmm, okay.  I think you've seen this article, right?

Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #38 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 7:21am

Good old Method #2 worked.  I'm registered, did the BCD edits, backed up - the whole works.

Now the process of reinstalling applications in Win 7.

Question?  - Can WinXP and Win7 share the same mail folders for Outlook?  Right now I do have them on a small dedicated partition away from my WinXP partition.  I don't see any reason why Win7 can point to the same.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #39 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 2:11pm

texdawg wrote on Jan 30th, 2010 at 7:21am:
Can WinXP and Win7 share the same mail folders for Outlook? Right now I do have them on a small dedicated partition away from my WinXP partition.

I don't personally use Outlook--mashing everything into a single giant .pst file offends my programming sensibilities.  But I would think it should be able to work.  You might need to setup the mailserver settings again (I don't think they're in the .pst file), but sharing the mail folders should be no problem.

I haven't tried actively sharing one .pst between two Outlook installations, but on occasion I've copied the .pst file elsewhere and repointed Outlook to the copy and it worked fine, so I don't think there would be a problem, as long as you don't try to have the .pst open simultaneously from the two installations (which you can't do with a dualboot anyway).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print