Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 and Windows 7 - No dual booting (Read 43469 times)
texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 2003 and Windows 7 - No dual booting
Dec 28th, 2009 at 8:24am

I've seen a lot of discussion on how to get Ghost 2003 to work with a dual Win XP / Win 7 system. 

I'm planning to someday go to just Win 7 (no XP dual boot) and would like to know how to get Ghost 2003 to work on a Win 7 system only.  Will Ghost 2003 install on a Win 7 system?  And how does the oft mentioned BCD editor fit into the picture?

If I have several partitions I back up under Win XP do I need to worry about restoring the non-boot  (partitions not containing the OS) partitions?

To be safe I would be installing Win 7 on a new clean HD and then over time I would reinstall all my applications.  I would disconnect my HD containing the Win XP OS.  I would "swap" the Win 7 HD with the Win XP HD until I got a stable Win 7 system working.  No matter what the Win XP HD would always be at hand for insurance.

Also all my backup images from that drive would be made to my dedicated HD just to storing those images.  No OS on this drive.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 2003 and Windows 7 - No dual booting
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2009 at 2:57pm

@
texdawg

I've no idea if Ghost 2003 will install in Win7 but you can create and restore images from the Ghost boot disk although I think most or all restores will need a Startup Repair (BCD Edit).

When you install Win7, don't use a blank HD. Otherwise Win7 will create a 100 MB System Reserved Partition which contains the boot files. It will be the System, Active partition and will complicate your image/restore work. Create a partition for Win7 before you boot from the Win7 CD. When you get to the Advanced button in Setup, do let Win7 format your partition, even if it is already formatted. Otherwise you won't get past the first reboot.

A Win7 install is the easiest of all the Windows installs and it is amazing how it sets up an internet connection, automatically connects to Windows Update and finds most of your drivers.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2009 at 11:05pm

@
texdawg

Just a suggestion. If you had BING you could have both your Win7 and WinXP HDs installed in your computer. Each OS would be independent and neither would see the other. Your non OS partitions could be seen by both OS, but only if you wish.  At the boot menu, select which OS to boot.

BING also is a partitioning and image create/restore app. Win7 compatible. It includes a BCD Edit tool.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

Here is a video on how to install Win7 from BING. Not quite your situation, but interesting. Don't mind the key strokes. It is just a demo showing how to do it without a mouse. A mouse is easier.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/videos/bing/win7.wmv

PS You may have noticed a format isn't needed during the Win7 install.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 7:33am

The Terabyte package for $49.98 looks attractive.  It looks like it could replace my Norton Ghost 2003 and Partition Magic 8.  Dare I take the plunge?  I downloaded the documentation to take a much closer look.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 2:35pm

I bought the Bundle about two years ago. Best $50 I've spent on a computer.

Currently I have about 15 OS on my first HD. All image backups are automated. Restores can be automated too. Double click a batch file and the restore happens. TeraByte support is excellent. Your email is answered within an hour.

This is a helpful site.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

And the Newsgroups..

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/webnews.htm

Edit... I forgot to mention a license covers 3 computers.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:43am

Brian wrote on Dec 29th, 2009 at 2:35pm:
I bought the Bundle about two years ago. Best $50 I've spent on a computer.

I purchased, downloaded and installed the suite.  I tested imaging in both Windows and DOS with no problems.  Thanks for the tips.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 1:35pm

texdawg wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:43am:
with no problems

Good to hear.

Let us know if you need any help with BING. It is certainly confusing when you first start using it. If you aren't dual booting there is little need to install it to your HD. All other functions work from a boot disk (floppy, CD or USB).

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 8:35pm

I got BING on a CD and boot it up to look over things.  I like the options to build and resize partitions among its many features.  But, no, I didn't install it to my HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 8:52pm

IFW, IFD and IFL are version 2 and create/restore each others images.

BING creates version 1 images and they aren't compatible with the above. There should be a major BING upgrade to version 2 images in about 6 months. Anyone who purchased BING after July 2009 will get  a free upgrade to the new BING. I don't know what other features it will contain.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 11:37am

Well, I have an almost clean 750 GB drive in which to install Windows 7.  You mentioned a pre-format.  What is a good size to build the boot partition on which I will install Windows 7?  Right now my boot partition for XP is 40 MB will about 20 MB free space.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 1:35pm

A Win7 install takes up 10 GB plus. It depends on how much data and programs you intend to add to your C: drive but I suggest a partition of at least 50 GB. You can always resize it up or down later with BING but it's nice to get it "right" before you install the OS. Better too big than too small as it is easier to resize down. Other partitions don't have to be moved.

So create a 50+ GB NTFS partition in BING. I create cylinder aligned partitions but you can create 2048 sector aligned partitions if you desire. Create any other partitions you need while you are in BING or leave the space free and create other partitions at a later time. Click View MBR and "Set Active" the intended Win7 partition. Boot from the Win7 DVD and install to this partition. You don't have to format the partition at the "Advanced" button. The video on installing Win7 has some good pointers even though you don't have BING installed on the HD. You can install BING on the HD if you like but as you aren't multi-booting it isn't essential. You can do it later.

In case you don't know, any NTFS partitions you create in BING have to be formatted by the OS in Disk Management. It's a good idea. The OS does a better format than a partitioning app.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 2:11pm

I did a 50 GB using Partition Magic.  It still works great with Win XP.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 2:26pm

Don't let Partition Magic anywhere near Win7 if you have 2048 sector aligned partitions. There are lots of threads about Vista/Win7 no longer booting after Partition Magic offered to correct the "errors" it found with the partitions.

I don't know about Partition Magic but with Acronis Disk Director you have to let Win7 format the partition during the install. Win7 won't accept the ADD formatting.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 3:24pm

Brian wrote on Jan 3rd, 2010 at 2:26pm:
Don't let Partition Magic anywhere near Win7 if you have 2048 sector aligned partitions. There are lots of threads about Vista/Win7 no longer booting after Partition Magic offered to correct the "errors" it found with the partitions.

I don't know about Partition Magic but with Acronis Disk Director you have to let Win7 format the partition during the install. Win7 won't accept the ADD formatting. 

I guess I'll reformat my partition using BING.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 3:51pm

I created a 50 GB partition with BING.  (I think?)  I'm confused about your statements about cylinder alignment and my options in BING to format a partition are greyed out.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print