Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Issue using Bootable Recovery CD from Ghost 15 with Win 7 (Read 5409 times)
vice
Ex Member

Issue using Bootable Recovery CD from Ghost 15 with Win 7
Jan 4th, 2010 at 6:28am

Hello,

Let me explain my problem. I recently bought a new pc from HP. The pc has Windows 7 OEM pre-installed (so I don't have any installation cd for Win 7).  I don't understand why HP is installing the win OS on such a big hard drive (1 TB) which is much too big for an operating system ( = Partition C). Furthermore HP made a Factory_restore partion (Partition D) and there is the small hidden system partition that Windows 7 automatically makes (Partition without Drive letter).
Now, I want to make a Ghost image at first (using the bootable recovery disk) before installing Ghost and before I do anything else on the pc. It really has to be a "virgin" Image.

I did succeed to make a correct backup after booting with the recovery cd : Ghost displays the 3 partitions (even the hidden partition) and the backup of the 3 seperate files was done correctly.

Then I want to install my OS on a smaller 300 Gb Hard Drive. I succeeded to make the recovery correctly and the system boots up correctly with the smaller hard drive.

BUT, the issue I'm having is that the F11 function is now not functionning correctly anymore. The F11 function is used by HP computers to start the recovery which, I assume, can be found on my partition D. When I press F11 I'm able to start up the boot menu, but when I press "repair my computer", I receive an 0xc0000225 error.

I suppose the correct link to my partition D is lost? Or is there another cause? I know that I do not really need the restore partition D anymore after imaging with ghost. But I'm a perfectionist and I want to have a proper functionning image before I continue using my new pc.

I hope anyone can help me out?

Best regards,
Vice

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Issue using Bootable Recovery CD from Ghost 15 with Win 7
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:25pm

Vice,

Do you still have the old 1 GB HD with its partitions intact? Did you consider resizing the C: drive to say 100 GB and creating a data partition out of the unallocated free space?

Did you restore the image of your old C: drive to the 300 GB HD? I'm surprised this was possible to a much smaller partition. I guess your data spread must have been below the 300 GB mark.

I can't answer your F11 question. Don't know.

IP Logged

vice
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 5:39pm

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, my new 1 TB hard drive with the windows 7 OS is still intact. I did not change anything. I want to transfer the OS first to a smaller 300 Gb Hard drive which seems more reasonable for a system drive. Then I will format the my 1 TB hard drive to use it for data.

Yes, I consider also to divide the 1 TB drive into partitions if the rest does not work. But I did already a completely fresh install of Windows 7 on the 300 Gb disk using my HP repair disks. Afterwards, I made an image of the system drive and made a recovery but it was not succesfull (same problem with F11). 

And yes I am able to transfer to a 300 Gb hard drive because there is nothing yet on this 1TB hard drive because it is a completely new one. Later, when everything is build correctly, I will transfer all data from my older pc to my new one. Still a long way to go .......

I hope that the rest of the installation is running more smoothly than making this simple image. While still on Win XP, I did not notice any problem at all with Ghost. My next try will be a change in the registry in the Mounteddevices settings. I have the feeling that my drive letters are completely mixed up. But it would be more simple if Ghost would take care of this too.

Best regards,
Vince

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2010 at 11:30am

@
vice

Quote:
BUT, the issue I'm having is that the F11 function is now not functionning correctly anymore. The F11 function is used by HP computers to start the recovery which, I assume, can be found on my partition D. When I press F11 I'm able to start up the boot menu, but when I press "repair my computer", I receive an 0xc0000225 error.

The F11 function is a Dell customized *boot loader* program.  It's stored in the Master Boot Track--somewhere after the first absolute sector 0 which contains the Master Boot Record and the Master Partition Table.

In the past, the Master Boot Tract meant the first 63 sectors on a HDD--but with the advent of Vista and Win7, now the definition has changed to the first 2048 ??? (something?!).

The restore to factory default function is hardware and partitioning specific--there's a check routine to see if the size of the HDD and the partitioning of the HDD matches what's recorded in the restore partition data--if it does, then the restore will go forward.  If it doesn't, then there will be an error--if you have not restored the restore partition to your HDD, then you will probably not get the typical error message from Dell--because the boot loader will fail to find the hidden restore partition--so that may explain your above error message.  But, even if the restore partition is present, the restore procedure will error out because you new HDD will not match the original in size!  And, if you change the partition structure on the original HDD, then the partition structure will not match the data in the restore partition (when  you change the *visible partition structure on your HDD, the new partition data is not updated in the restore partition data!), and again the restore function will fail!

Based on what you have reported, it sounds like Ghost 15 has captured the entire boot tract and reproduced it on the new HDD--otherwise the F11 function would not even be available.

You can learn more about all this at the following website:  Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition*.

Dan's webpage was based on WinXP and Dell's Recovery Partition for that OS--apparently with Vista things changed:  What About Microsoft Vista?, and Win7 is very similar to Vista--so, maybe that information applies to Win7 as well.

Dan has a way to fix the data that is used to check to see if it matches what's on the recovery partition--but, I don't think this applies to Vista or Win7--unfortunately--and I don't know if Dan has created anything for use on Vista or Win7!:  Troubleshooting the Restore Process .

But, at least if will give you some ideas as to what's going on!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print