Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can I Ghost multiple partitions at the same time? (Read 6760 times)
Janset
Dude

I Love Radified!

Perth W.A.

Can I Ghost multiple partitions at the same time?
Jan 9th, 2010 at 12:57am

Hi all.

To avoid duplication of info please read my previous post that more or less also applies here.

When done, my netbook will  have 3 partitions on it consisting of a hidden system partition of 10 Gig, the main OS that will be about 50 Gig and a slave of about 100 Gig.

Now my question, can I make a mirror image (read as Ghost) of the entire hard drive (all 3 partitions) so that should it all turns to fertilizer I can restore the "complete" mirror image and make it all is as it was before all went pear shaped.

If this can only be done with certain versions of Ghost, what versions are they?

I have 2003, Ghost32, Ver. 11.5.x

All advice appreciated.

Regards 

May the Farce be with you!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Can I Ghost multiple partitions at the same time?
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 6:19pm

@
Janset

Using information from you previous post:  Ghost32 Vers11.5Force a dismount or Volume snapshot--

You have a netbook running WinXP Home that has a 160 GB HDD, and it has a hidden factory restore partiton of approx 8 GB, and your OS partition--have you looked at the HDD in Disk Management to see if those are the only parititons?

And, you do not have an optical drive, and the only input available is USB.

Well, you could partition you HDD so that you can save Ghost image files on a separate partition on you main 160 GB HDD.  You would have to add additional partitions using a partitioning tool that is non-distructive to your current data--but, that's risky not to have a backup that's separate from you main HDD--both when doing partitioning and ongoing in the future--if the HDD fails, it will take any backup images with it.

Alternatively, you can backup to an external USB HDD--you could use either Ghost 2003 if you load USB DOS drivers that are compatible with your USB controller in the netbook and your external USB HDD.  You would have to make a DOS bootable flashdrive (because you can not use a floppy disk or optical drive--unless of course you invest in a USB floppy drive--that might work and be the *easiest* route to follow!).

Or, you could create a BartPE bootable flash drive that would allow you to possibly run Ghost32 from the BartPE environment and again that should be able to find a USB external HDD for a destination.

Creating a bootable flashdrive (for DOS or a BartPE) may be quite easy--but it does assume that your netbook is able to boot from a bootable flash drive--older systems are less likely to support booting from a flash drive--but newer ones seem to be most likely to support that!

You can begin to get some ideas on how to make a bootable flashdrive here:

The CD Forum--USB Booting

Boot from USB/Boot Anywhere

Make Your Most Bootable USB Flash Drive, Tutorial

Google searches can bring up many more possibilities:  bootable flash drive.  This one seems to be a particularly good general article on the subject:  Illustrated walk-through: Creating a bootable USB flash drive for Windows XP

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Can I Ghost multiple partitions at the same time?
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 12:00pm

@
Janset

Another possibility mentioned by Brian here:  Suggestion for very fast restore, with an External HD, using Ghost.

If your system supports booting from a USB HDD, then you could create a boot partition on your USB external HDD (primary, active), put the needed DOS boot files on that, and then using Ghost 2003, boot your system to DOS Ghost 2003 and create backups to whatever media you have--for example the external USB HDD!  You might have to place DOS USB mass storage drivers in your boot files to have access to your HDD in DOS after booting--I don't have experience with systems that allow for booting from an external USB HDD--maybe it also continues to support access to the USB HDD in DOS after booting.

I have posted a question to Brian regarding that issue.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print