Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new laptop today. can't back it up. (Read 25162 times)
wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

new laptop today. can't back it up.
Jan 14th, 2010 at 9:27pm

I bought a Lenovo laptop today.  Model SL510.  xp pro sp3. 

I tried to create DVD's.  I booted from standard Ghost 2003 ver 793 standard boot floppy.

It booted OK, but it did not recognize the internal Matshita DVD-RAM UJ890 drive. 

The only choice for destination was A:.

Suggestions ?

thank you

alan

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: new laptop today. can't back it up.
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 9:36am

@
wp

Quote:
Suggestions ?

Unfortunately--Ghost 2003 is not going to be updated to work with newer optical drives that require adjustments in the necessary code in order to be compatible with those new drives--so unless you can change the optical writer to one that is recognized by Ghost 2003--writing Ghost images to optical discs directly will not work.

You can work around this by creating a second partition on your laptop's HDD so you have a destination for saving images to--and then putting the image files onto optical media using a Windows optical disc authoring program.  (You should make sure you can access data on optical discs through Ghost using DOS optical drive drivers before you go to all that work!)

Or, you can use USB external HDDs to save images to (if your hardware is compatible with current DOS USB drivers)!

Some laptops allow for a second internal HDD--but those are rare beasts!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2010 at 11:00am

Thanks for reply.

I searched symantec and found 3 compatible external drive dvd's.

none in current production.

bought hp dvd1170e.

not recognized by ghost 2003.  will return it.

bought external usb drive seagate 500g 9sd2a-500, which is recognized by xp, but not by Ghost 2003. 

search of archives here on this forum for usb dos drives a bit too complicated for me.

the builtin network on laptop is Realtek PCIe GBE family controller.

web search realtek site has a ghost patch with 5 pages of undecipherable to me instructions.

suggestions ?

other backup programs ?

alan

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 10:37am

@
wp

Quote:
found 3 compatible external drive dvd's

none in current production.

bought hp dvd1170e.

not recognized by ghost 2003

Ghost 2003 was just beginning to use DVD optical drives when it was developed--adding the complexity of being an external optical drive--I would be surprised if you found something that would work!--Ghost 2003 is not real USB friendly to begin with--other DOS drivers are available that might give you a chance to access an external USB HDD or optical drive--but you are not likely to have the ability to *write* to the optical drive--read only!

Quote:
bought external usb drive seagate 500g 9sd2a-500, which is recognized by xp, but not by Ghost 2003. 

search of archives here on this forum for usb dos drives a bit too complicated for me.

If you just *glance* at an outline *how to*, it can appear overwhelming if you are not familiar with the concepts or terminology--but like most things in life, if you break it down into small *baby steps*, and take it one step at a time--most of us can master most things most of the time--if we just try (and want to!  Wink )!

Quote:
I booted from standard Ghost 2003 ver 793 standard boot floppy

Are you using a USB external floppy drive? 

If you can open the NotePad program in Windows--if you can delete text from a file loaded into NotePad--if you can *copy and paste* text from one place to another--if you can download several small files--then I could walk you through modifying your current Std Ghost boot floppy so it has the Panasonic USB DOS drivers which are much more likely to give you success with your external USB HDD--of course there's no guarantees--but much more likely than the Ghost DOS USB drivers!

Quote:
the builtin network on laptop is Realtek PCIe GBE family controller.

web search realtek site has a ghost patch with 5 pages of undecipherable to me instructions

Ghost 2003's Boot Wizard has the ability to add a NIC DOS driver to the Ghost networking boot floppy--you just have to supply the DOS driver file--and follow the steps in the Boot Wizard.  (One possible helpful hint--I discovered that on several systems that I had available to work with--I had to shut the system down completely--i.e. power off--not just a re-start with the power still on--it would not allow the NIC to reset to the non-Windows settings needed by the DOS NIC drivers when booting from a networking boot floppy--once I did that, I had DOS networking without any trouble!)

How about a link to that *how to* on the RealTek site--might be interesting to see!

Quote:
other backup programs ?

Learning to use a new program can sometimes be as complicated as learning to make a USB or NIC boot disk for DOS from a *how to* guide ...

Norton Ghost™ 15.0

alternatives to Norton Ghost

TeraByte's group of Image for Windows, DOS, and Linux

ShadowProtect Backup and Disaster Recovery Software

Acronis® True Image

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 12:07pm

<Are you using a USB external floppy drive? 

If you can open the NotePad program in Windows--if you can delete text from a file loaded into NotePad--if you can *copy and paste* text from one place to another--if you can download several small files--then I could walk you through modifying your current Std Ghost boot floppy so it has the Panasonic USB DOS drivers which are much more likely to give you success with your external USB HDD--of course there's no guarantees--but much more likely than the Ghost DOS USB drivers!

yes. i boot usb floppy.  i will take you up on the offer if other choices no go. thank you.

i will look for the realtek file and their website and post back.

even though new laptop under waranty, i think i can change the internal hard drive to another sata drive and keep origional hard drive as backup or for waranty.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 11:28pm

a lot of info

here is what device mgr says

ww

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

7/14/09

PCI slot 12 (PCI bus 8, device 0, function 0)

ww

here is ndis2 directions from realtek

Realtek nics downloads

RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168
RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)
RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E
RTL8105E

don't seem to match

more to follow

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 11:30pm

this patch file RTEND2 TXT contains information that helps you patch RTEND.DOS(v1.11) file into your own NDIS2 driver.

To generate your custom driver

a). Follow the instructions to edit the message area in each line. Save this file when you finish editing.

DO NOT EDIT THE OFFSET AND LENGTH AREA

b). Make sure that you have the following files in your working directory:

RTPATCH.EXE     ------->   The patch execution file
               RTEND.DOS       ------->   RTL8168B NDIS2 driver file
               RTEND2.TXT      ------->   RTEND.DOS patch info. file

c). After you decide the name for your NDIS2 driver,
            type:

> rtpatch  RTEND.DOS   RTEND2.txt  <put driver name here>  <?

!!! NOTE: DO NOT USE THE SAME DRIVER NAME AS THE ORIGINAL DRIVER!!!

d). If no error occurs, you should find your custom driver is generated under your working directory.

How to edit this file

Each line in this file contains a display message info. of the
       driver. Each line has the same format:

<offset> <length> <message>
       e.g.
            1266      28      'NDIS2 driver for RTL8168',0dh,0ah,'$';
            ----      --      ----------------------------------------

Do not edit here!       |                                 | EOL
                              Put your own message here!           |
           (HEX)     (DEC)                                     delimiter

*NOTE: DO NOT EDIT THE <offset> AND <length> AREA !!!

*NOTE: Anything after comment character ';' will be ignored!

*NOTE: Always add ';'(EOL) at end of each line!

*NOTE: If delimiter is needed, keep delimiter intact! In this case,
              leave the '$' as the last byte.

*NOTE: 0H can only be added as delimiter! Message after 0H will be lost!

*NOTE: Total length of your message should not exceed <length>.

*NOTE: If you must use the comment character (Wink in your message,
              put 3bh instead of ';'. Same for (').

*NOTE: Do not exceed 250 characters in each line.

;       Put your driver name here  (delimiter is '$')
20a  8 'RTEND','$',0;   maximum ----> 6 + '$'+ 0 ;driver name for PCI-E NIC, ie RTL8168B
929d 8 'RTEND','$',0;   maximum ----> 6 + '$'+ 0 ;driver name for PCI-E NIC, ie RTL8168B

;       Put your adapter name instead of 'RTL8168B' (no delimiter)
8f47  80 'Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family Gigabit Ethernet Adapter',0 ;RTL8168B
909f  80 'CopyRight : Copyright @ 2006, Realtek Semiconductor Corp.',0

;877a  2   ECh,10h;     ;VID
;87f5  2   ECh,10h;
;88b7  2   ECh,10h;
;88e5  2   ECh,10h;
;8909  2   ECh,10h;
;90d5  2   ECh,10h;

;8777  2   39h,81h;     GrinID
;88b4  2   39h,81h;
;88e2  2   39h,81h;
;8906  2   39h,81h;
;90d2  2   39h,81h;

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 11:32pm

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 9:48am

@
wp

My system lists my integrated RealTek NIC chip in Device Mgr as: 

Quote:
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

It shows the Chipset ID number--you might be able to find that information in your laptop's specification listing--I looked at Leveno's website--but they have chosen not to be specific about the NIC specifications.

Quote:
Realtek nics downloads

RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168
RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)
RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E
RTL8105E

The downloaded program is for the above listed chip IDs.  These would not be for my RealTek chipset--I have to go to a different download page:  RTL8139

Downloaded the zipped file that you referenced--read the *rtend2.txt* file which you quoted above--don't know exactly what this *patch* is all about--I think it's to add a message to the driver file when it loads--i.e. to customize the load message for OEM companies that want to *brand* the driver that they provide to their end users. 

But, really, all you want is the *rtend.dos* file--it is the DOS driver--i.e. the *NDIS2* driver--I think you can ignore the rest!

The *rtend.dos* file is the one you would point the Ghost Boot Wizard to for adding an additional NIC driver for a Network boot disk if you don't find the necessary *NDIS2* driver already included in the Boot Wizard's listing.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 4:59am

thanks for the input.

i have a toshiba L25 satellite xp sp2. 

it uses that same rtl8139 nic as yours.

i created a ghost 2003 boot disk with the ndis2 driver and can successfully create an image across my network to a desktop pc and restore it OK.

i also have a sony vgn-nr110e laptop.

it uses a yukon nic.

i got a ndis2 driver for it ( approx yknd.dos ) and modified a ghost 2003 floppy created for the 8139 and can successfully create an image across my network to a desktop pc and restore it OK.

i had an extra sata hard drive.

i put it in one ( of my 8 desktop pc's at home ) of my pc's and ghosted 2003 an image of a compaq xp sp2.

i then put that sata  in my new SL-510 Lenovo Thinkpad Laptop.

booted. bsod.

put in xp pro sp2 cd to repair install.

F6 etc.  it wanted sata drivers.  downloaded approx flypf6 from intel and put it in at appropriate time, but install program said approx can't recognize floppy drive.

so i went into bios and changed approx sata boot from ahci to compatibility.

booted again and ignored request to press F6 and did repair install.

booted ok, but have multiple bangs.

saga will continue.

thank you for your help.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 9:33am

@
wp

Based on your last post, you are attempting a number of interesting Ghost/WinXP installation procedures--but, it's unclear--are you just experimenting--or is there a specific goal you have in mind?

Quote:
i put it in one ( of my 8 desktop pc's at home ) of my pc's and ghosted 2003 an image of a compaq xp sp2.

booted. bsod.

put in xp pro sp2 cd to repair install.

F6 etc.  it wanted sata drivers.  downloaded approx flypf6 from intel and put it in at appropriate time, but install program said approx can't recognize floppy drive.

I had trouble adding RAID drivers during my *repair install* when I transferred my OS from an AMD based motherboard to an Intel based motherboard--the manufacturer's instructions where incorrect as to how to prepare the driver on the floppy disk!  It said to copy just the files in the WinXP sub-directory if adding the RAID controller driver to a WinXP system.  But, the required *Txtsetup.oem* file that directs the install of the driver(s) being added was in the next higher directory--and that setup file also referenced the other NT based OSs that the driver was for--i.e. WinNT, and Win2k--so, the entire higher directory files plus the specific OS sub-directories were needed on the floppy so that the *txtsetup.oem* file found all the referenced components on the floppy before the install program would accept the driver on the floppy drive.

So, did the install program access the floppy drive, but the error was that the correct driver was not found or could not be correctly installed--or, did the install program not find the floppy drive at all?  Most reports that I've seen have indicated that an external USB floppy drive works without a problem for the F6 function during the WinXP installation procedures.

Quote:

booted again and ignored request to press F6 and did repair install.

booted ok, but have multiple bangs.

What issues are you having?  When you transition from one type of hardware to another--many of the drivers have to be added manually if the drivers are not present on the WinXP installation disc--and a recent laptop may require newer drivers than would not be found on an installation disc that is now two OSs ago as far as Microsoft is concerned!

Quote:

If you can solve the F6 issue and get the SATA driver installed successfully, then you may not have to make that change!  Most of the time, I've seen recommendations to change the *mode* back to *ahci* after doing whatever procedure requires that change in the first place--like booting to DOS to do a Ghost procedure.  Reason being, I think you may loose quite a bit of SATA HDD functionality in *compatibility* mode when running Windows.

If you can not solve the floppy drive/F6 issue, I don't know if this would work, but once booted to Windows in *compatibility* mode--can you add the SATA drivers using driver update in Device Manager?  Then re-boot, change back from *compatibility* mode to *ahci* mode in the BIOS, and then boot to Windows--does that work?

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 7:20pm

my specific goal is to be able to ghost image of xpsp2 instals, both local to dvd disk and over peer to peer network to a hard drive on a different desktop computer.

i have been able to do all of the above with several different desktops and toshiba, sony, and dell laptops.

my current problem is partly solved now.

i removed the sata hard drive and put in another sata and repair installed xpsp2.  got all bangs fixed. 

i have a few programs to install.

i think i will be able to do a local disk to image on the internal dvd drive.  it is same as the internal dvd disk on our two sony laptops, which g 2003 writes to fine.

will report back.

thanks again.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 10:10pm

follow up.

sp2 xp running well and backed up on one double layer dvd.

went into bios and changed compatiblity back to ahci.

booted. bsod. back into bios, changed back to compatibility. bingo. no bsod.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 9:01pm

i had an extra sata hard drive.

i [...] ghosted 2003 an image of a compaq xp sp2.

booted. bsod.

[...]

sp2 xp running well and backed up on one double layer dvd.

went into bios and changed compatiblity back to ahci.

booted. bsod. back into bios, changed back to compatibility. bingo. no bsod.

Classic case of a missing SATA driver.  The Compaq image didn't have a SATA-AHCI driver in it.  When the Lenovo tries to boot the Compaq image in SATA-AHCI mode, the missing driver causes the BSOD.  Changing your Lenovo's bios setting changes how the hard disk appears to the OS.  In compatibility mode the Lenovo bios pretends the hard disk is like an ordinary IDE disk, so no new driver is necessary.

You can either leave the Lenovo in compatibility mode, or you need to embed the SATA-AHCI driver into the OS--not a straightforward task with a pre-existing installation.  All that F6 stuff is how to embed the driver at installation time, but it's useless for a pre-existing installation.  See here for one way to do it:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=294

But it requires the ability to boot two disks at the same time--one in IDE/compatibility mode and the other in SATA-AHCI mode.  It's not likely you can do that with a laptop, so getting the driver embedded becomes more complicated.

I think there's a way to do it with some Terabyte tools--see here:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=252

I think Brian may have hands-on experience doing exactly this.  Brian?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 2:31am

I've used this and it works. I hope your drivers are the same.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/howto-drvins-tbosdt-dos.htm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print