Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 Win XP can't find image (Read 17154 times)
2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Ghost 2003 Win XP can't find image
Jan 25th, 2010 at 7:17am

I am trying to copy an image to a hard drive with a boot disc in dos, it can find the drive if I go drive to drive, but it can't find the image if I go image to drive. If you do not mark the drives with ghost during image backup can that cause this, if so how do I mark the drives thanks.

IP Logged

2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Re: Ghost 2003 Win XP can't find image
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 7:59am

I think the correct term is Ghost needs to identify the disk that has the image on it, but the OS is not working, now what.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:58am

Do you mean Ghost can't find the image or WinXP can't find the image?  It doesn't matter if WinXP can find the image as long as Ghost can.  I've also had the problem of Windows not seeing the the image, but I've been able to boot to Ghost DOS CD to find and restore the image.

IP Logged

2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 10:11am

In Dos Ghost it can't find the image I need to use to restore. I have run into this problem before I believe because the drive that has the image on it has not been identified by Ghost, how can I identify the drive in dos ghost.

IP Logged

2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 11:13am

When I try to do a image to disk in dos Ghost it can't find the image, it is not available in the drop down box.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 1:22pm

@
2002z06

I think you might be dealing with a Ghost 2003 *bug* in the DOS drop-down menu box--if you have more drives than fit in the initial box size (about 6-8 drives), either in the *source* drop-down box or the *destination* drop down box--the *scroll* feature doesn't work--and most of us have mouse support in DOS, and attempt to use the scroll bar, and so you do not see any addition drives that are beyond that initial listing!

The solution is to use the keyboard *down arrow* key once the drop-down box appears--it will take you down below that initial list to the additional drives that you can not see!

Let us know if this solves your problem!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:12pm

Tried that, still disk where image is does not show up.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 10:08am

@
2002z06

Quote:
Tried that, still disk where image is does not show up.

Ok--that was the *easy* answer--now we will have to dig deeper!

Quote:
If you do not mark the drives with ghost during image backup can that cause this, if so how do I mark the drives thanks.

Ghost 2003 has a Windows interface that allows you to set up the Ghost procedure from within Windows, then Ghost will shut down Windows, boot to a *virtual partition* that loads DOS, and then runs the Ghost procedure, and finally re-boots back to Windows.  The *marking* of the drive by Ghost has something to do with Ghost's Windows interface and then re-booting to that *virtual partition* so it finds the correct HDD while in that *virtual partition* (probably because the partition specifications change in DOS as compared to what is reported in Windows--i.e. especially the drive letter often is different in DOS vs Windows!).

The DOS Ghost 2003 program is programed to request that that *marking* of the various HDDs on the system occur even when you boot to DOS directly, and even if you never install Ghost 2003 in Windows!  That *marking* request will occur every time you boot in DOS and Ghost *sees* a HDD that is not already *marked*!  So, if you are booting to DOS, and the HDD where the image file is located has not been *marked* previously, and you do not get the screen requesting to *mark* that HDD--then Ghost is not seeing that HDD!

And you can either say *Yes* to *marking* or *No*--and in DOS Ghost--it will not effect whether you see or will not see the HDD or image files--so the problem is that Ghost is not seeing the HDD at all!

Quote:
I am trying to copy an image to a hard drive with a boot disc in dos, it can find the drive if I go drive to drive, but it can't find the image if I go image to drive.

So, we need to look closer at what the actual setup is:

How many HDDs are on the system?

What type are they--SATA or PATA?

Are any of the HDDs USB external HDDs?

When you are first booting--enter the BIOS and check to see if all the HDDs are listed by the BIOS correctly--are they?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 1:18pm

How many HDDs are on the system?  2

What type are they--SATA or PATA? SATA

Are any of the HDDs USB external HDDs? All  Internal SATA

When you are first booting--enter the BIOS and check to see if all the HDDs are listed by the BIOS correctly--are they?  bios is set to raid and after bios boots it lists all drives available.
Thing that confuses me is, it found the drive for a drive to drive clone but can't find the drive for a image to drive copy.

IP Logged

2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 9:27pm

Need to update to 793, tried with the tutorial cannot connect.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 10:02am

@
2002z06

Quote:
Thing that confuses me is, it found the drive for a drive to drive clone but can't find the drive for a image to drive copy.

Yes, that has been confusing me as well!  So, you have your OS on one HDD, and the image file is saved on the other HDD?  How did that image get onto that second HDD?

Quote:
Need to update to 793

If Ghost sees both drives when selecting *Local > Disk > To Disk*, but can not see both disks if selecting *Local > Disk > From Image*, I'm not sure if that update will make a difference--but maybe.....

Quote:
bios is set to raid and after bios boots it lists all drives available

What *RAID* settings are being used?  Are the two HDDs operating as two single drives--or are you using RAID 0, or RAID 1, or some other setting.....?

You could start Ghost with this command line to see if it helps:

Quote:
  ghost.exe -fni 

And, you might have to change the SATA mode in the BIOS to *compatibility* while attempting to access SATA HDDs in DOS--and then change back before booting to Windows.  (Be careful--if you are using RAID for anything other than two single drives--you could cause corruption of the RAID setup if you change anything!!!)

IP Logged

2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 12:03pm

How did that image get onto that second HDD? Through the ghost image before the drive crashed.
What *RAID* settings are being used?  Are the two HDDs operating as two single drives--or are you using RAID 0, or RAID 1, or some other setting.....? Raid is not being used.

IP Logged

2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 12:20pm

Drive I am trying to copy to is 320 gb sata, drive with image is 1 tb sata independent from each other no raid.

IP Logged

2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 8:17pm

Error message I get when trying to copy image is (40207) Invalid partition offset

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 10:54am

To update to .793 build be sure to use Internet Explorer, and it works as I just did it about 5 minutes ago.  Mozilla browsers give error message when access to the update site is attempted.  Note it may be necessary to run the update 2 or 3 times because it updates 1 level at a time on each run through the update process at the site.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print