Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GSS image error on bootup (Read 3253 times)
battlestar
Ex Member

GSS image error on bootup
Jan 26th, 2010 at 4:29pm

Have GSS 2.5 and have been using for awhile.  Imaged a Dell Vostro and when we push the image back to other vostro's they bootup with an error stating: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\system32\config\SYSTEM" on all the machines that we push the image to.  The original system boots up fine.  Image intergrity check came back fine on the image.  So I imaged the machine again, thinking something must be wrong with the image.  Pushed that new image back down to about 10 Vostro's and I get the same error message.  Any ideas?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: GSS image error on bootup
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 10:23am

@
battlestar

Quote:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\system32\config\SYSTEM" on all the machines that we push the image to.

Error messages like this usually mean that something about the partition layout on the source computer is not being maintained on the destination systems--or the boot loader information is specific to the source computer and is not being adjusted to the needs of the destination systems.

Dells usually have a *Utility* partition and a *Recovery* partition in addition to the OS partition--and the boot loader is customized so one can enter those partitions using specific key strokes--and that customized boot loader is embedded in the Master Boot Record *sector* somewhere.  And, Vista and Win7 use a new boot loader that involves *Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store*, and you may have to edit the source system's BCD store using the *bcdedit.exe* program to change the boot loader from pointing to a specific HDD to a more generalized boot loader configuration.

So, depending on which version of Windows you are using, there are different changes that need to be done to make imaging and deployment function properly--I can't say I'm an expert on those changes, but they have been mentioned in various posts here.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print