Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CD will not boot (Read 7523 times)
KJL
N00b

I Love Radified!

CD will not boot
Jan 27th, 2010 at 12:05pm

I did this for a T using Roxio 7 but CD will not boot.
CD has files bootcdp1.IMA and BOOTCAT.BIN and that's it??? Cry

IP Logged

KJL
N00b

I Love Radified!

Re: CD will not boot
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 2:15pm

Got it booting but Ghost will not load.
Can't find CD driver?
This is WinXP sp3 w/ SATA disks. Cry

IP Logged

KJL
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 3:01pm

It's MSCDEX which fails to load?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 9:00am

@
KJL

Quote:
It's MSCDEX which fails to load?

Actually, I'm betting the first load error is for the *device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl* command line.  The reason being--*oakcdrom.sys* is the DOS driver for PATA IDE optical drives--and you have a SATA optical drive based on your reply #1 above.

See this discussion about adding a SATA DOS optical drive driver:  Driver search

Note that if you *add* the driver so it's included, the size of the boot file sector may exceed the 1.44 MB size limit for a standard bootable optical disc.  If you *replace* the *oakcdrom.sys* file with the *gcdrom.sys* SATA DOS driver--then it may fit without having to deal with exceeding the 1.44 MB size limit for the boot sector (I've not actually tried that--I don't have SATA optical drives--so I haven't sat down and determined if the sizes are *okay*--report back with your experience!)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 9:09am

@
KJL

Quote:
Got it booting but Ghost will not load.

Hmmm....looks like you might already be placing *ghost.exe* on the data portion of the optical boot disc rather than in the hidden boot sector with the other boot files--correct?

If *ghost.exe* is in the hidden boot sector it should load along with the other boot files--but you would simply not have access to the SATA optical drive. 

Have you added other boot files that has forced you to place the *ghost.exe* file into the data portion of the optical disc?   One runs out of room in the 1.44 MB boot sector only if you do not follow the Bootable CD/DVD Guide precisely!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print