Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Booting an ISO from a USB flash drive. (Read 23534 times)
MudCrab
Dude

California

Re: Booting an ISO from a USB flash drive.
Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 11:44pm

Yes. That's kind of what I meant. On some systems, swapping works better than others. Also, depending on the way it's done, it may work for some things and not for others.

I think the ISO mapping is taking place at the same general level.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 12:20am

@
Brian

Quote:
NightOwl, you definitely need new hardware.

Couldn't agree more!!!  I'll put it on my birthday *wish list*!

Clarify--

Quote:
run the Acronis Media Builder

Do you run this to create the Acronis ISO to boot from.  If you have an ISO of another bootable disc--then running the *Media Builder* is not part of the necessary procedure?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 12:28am

I'll pass that question to MudCrab. I didn't use the Acronis part of the tutorial.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #18 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 12:37am

@
Brian

Quote:
I didn't use the Acronis part of the tutorial.

So, I assume that means you didn't run the *Acronis Media Builder*, and it wasn't needed to create the other bootable ISOs being used--the *Acronis Media Builder* is just for the Acronis bootable ISO--correct?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MudCrab
Dude

California

Reply #19 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 1:25am

Acronis Media Builder only needs to be run to either put the Acronis files on the flashdrive or create the Acronis ISO file. If you're not using Acronis software, you wouldn't use Media Builder. Just ignore any Acronis-specific instructions.

Just put the desired ISO files on the drive, add the entries to the menu.lst file, and it's ready to go (assuming you installed Grub4DOS to the drive already).

Standard WinPE builds can be booted directly too. Just add an entry to call bootmgr. This can be handy for booting WinPE setups that won't work correctly from an ISO (license checking problems and things like that). For example:
Code:
title Win7RescuePE
chainloader /BOOTMGR

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 2:39am

@
NightOwl

With the TeraByte products you can create a bootable ....

floppy
CD
USB flash drive
or an ISO

The other ISOs I'm using, I downloaded. The MS-DOS I'm using was a Win98SE ISO. I changed the format to 2.88 MB and added a few DOS apps.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 11:30am

@
MudCrab

I tried

chainloader /BOOTMGR

with a WinPE and saw Error :15  File not found

(The ISO does contain BOOTMGR)

IP Logged

MudCrab
Dude

California

Reply #22 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 12:48pm

Brian,

Sorry, I wasn't clear. bootmgr needs to be on the partition along with all the other WinPE files. For example, with a flashdrive, this would be the same type of flashdrive as if you setup the flashdrive using DISKPART, created a WinPE build, and then copied the files to the flashdrive.

In other words, you can take a standard WinPE setup and boot it directly with Grub4DOS via bootmgr. Examples include a VistaPE flashdrive, VistaPE CD, WinPE-based CD, or similar setups.

I have to do this with one of my WinPE-based imaging apps because the license can't be found when booted as an ISO. It can be found when booted normally. I have this setup on my hard drive partition. With Grub4DOS already installed, I just copy all the files/folders from the CD to the partition. You can only boot into one WinPE "bootmgr" setup this way. If you need multiple versions (like I do), you can setup additional BCD entries to boot them. In the end, the process is this: You boot to Grub4DOS, select your "WinPE/bootmgr" entry, and then select from the Windows Boot Manager menu which sub-item you want.

Another advantage of using this method is that you can work with any files directly as they are not packed into an ISO file. In a VistaPE build, for example, you could update or modify any files (including programs) not packed into the WIM file. If you need to modify the WIM file, you'd have to mount it or rebuild. This helps with testing more than general use, though.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 2:45pm

@
MudCrab

MudCrab wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 12:48pm:
I have to do this with one of my WinPE-based imaging apps because the license can't be found when booted as an ISO. It can be found when booted normally. 

I just noticed that with the Demo of Active@ Boot Disk. When I tried to boot the ISO it asked for a name and serial. The app loads when using the program created USB flash drive.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print