Send Topic Print
Custom Ghost Bootable (Read 4700 times)
help@service2u.co.uk
Ex Member

Custom Ghost Bootable
Feb 16th, 2010 at 12:38pm

Hi All

I am wanting to create a restore dvd with ghost 11.5

What i would like to do is run ghost from dos and When i backup the image to DVD, i need to make it bootable

I need to create the bootable CD with a custom menu if possible.

all i need is the restore option with an added saftey "are you Sure" prompt before it restores to the HDD

As ghost 11.5 is over 2MB i need to make it using the 2.44MB image file (or is there another way?) so not a lot of space for other files?

Cheers in advance for any help

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Custom Ghost Bootable
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 10:08am

This Topic was moved here from Norton Ghost 14, 12, 10 + 9,  including Norton Save + Restore (NS+R) by NightOwl.

Your question related to Ghost 11.5 better belongs in this forum.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Custom Ghost Bootable
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 11:18am

@
help@service2u.co.uk

Quote:
I am wanting to create a restore dvd with ghost 11.5

Should be doable.

Quote:
What i would like to do is run ghost from dos and When i backup the image to DVD, i need to make it bootable

I can't speak directly about Ghost 11.5, but Ghost 2003 has the ability to create a bootable optical disc as part of creating an image file and saving it to optical media--but, Ghost puts its own generic boot files if you have used the Windows interface to setup this up, and then re-booted to the *virtual partition* to perform the DOS procedure,... or, if in DOS, asks for the floppy boot files in drive A:\ that you used to boot to DOS in the first place.  If you booted from a bootable optical disc, then Ghost 2003 will use the files on the *virtual floppy A:\* drive if you click through the menu asking for the floppy files in A:\.

I don't know if Ghost 11.5 has that similar ability or not.  And, you do not have a *custom menu* unless your floppy disk boot files have that customized boot menu.  You can boot to DOS using one floppy disk or floppy boot set of disks, load Ghost, and then use a different floppy disk that has your custom boot files on it when it asks for the boot files before creating the bootable disc.  You can use a Ghost switch in the command line to tell Ghost to place a copy of the *ghost.exe* on the data portion of the optical disc--so the boot files can access that program during boot after DOS optical drive drivers load and assign a DOS driver letter to the optical drive.

Quote:
all i need is the restore option with an added saftey "are you Sure" prompt before it restores to the HDD

The DOS *choice* command will pause boot file execution, and you define what to present on-screen as to what the choices are, and the user has to make a selection before execution proceeds.

Quote:
As ghost 11.5 is over 2MB i need to make it using the 2.44MB image file (or is there another way?) so not a lot of space for other files?

That will work if there's enough room for the other boot files.  Alternatively, you can place the *ghost.exe* in the data portion of the optical disc, and load DOS optical drive drivers from the boot files so a DOS drive letter is assigned to the optical drive--once the optical drive has a drive DOS drive letter, you can load *ghost.exe* from the data portion of that boot disc.

Ghost 11.5 should include a *Ghost Boot Wizard* for creating various boot disks and discs for Ghost.

Further reading:

Rad's Ghost Guide on batch files:  Norton Ghost: Automated Batch Files

Creating a bootable optical disc even if you do not have a floppy drive:  Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

How to place *ghost.exe* in the data portion of a boot disc if the boot files won't fit in the hidden boot sector of the boot disc:  Placing *ghost.exe* on the bootable CD/DVD project disc, and Summary of adding USB support and DOS PartitionMagic to Bootable CD--see reply #6, and Adding USB (and Firewire) to Ghost Boot CD

Example of advanced custom DOS boot menu--this is for placement on a hidden boot partition of a HDD, but it can be adapted to a boot disc:  NightOwl's *automated* files

You can see the use of the *pause* and *choice* command in *autoexec.bat*:

Quote:
:restore

echo.
echo This procedure will first backup your
echo current non-working WinXP OS Partition.
echo.
echo Then it will verify that image.
echo.
echo Then the most recent backup of your
echo WinXP OS Partition will be restored.
echo.
echo Then you will boot back to WinXP.
echo.
echo If you have previously used this function,
echo the previous bad OS backup will be deleted,
echo and be replaced by this new backup of the
echo current bad OS Partition.
echo.
echo Do you wish to continue?  A "No" response
echo will cause a reboot, and loading of the
echo first Main Menu.  You can then
echo choose to reboot to Windows or make other choices.
pause
choice /c:yn Do you wish to continue?
if errorlevel 2 goto reboot

if exist g:\bad_os\nul deltree /y g:\bad_os
if not exist g:\bad_os\nul md g:\bad_os
c:\ghost.exe -script=c:\script2.txt -z
if errorlevel 1 goto Problem
goto bootxp

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print