Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need Help w E-Sata and Ghost 2003 (Read 37550 times)
Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Re: Need Help w E-Sata and Ghost 2003
Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 8:54am

stun vs spock, were the partitions you created logical drives/partitions?  It shouldn't matter if they are primary or extended as long as they are logical, but Ghost might have problems if they are dynamic.  I have no experience using dynamic drives and don't know whether Ghost will work with them or not.

Are you running Ghost from within Windows or from boot floppy or boot CD?  I don't know if it'd make any difference, but it'd be interesting to know.

Some of the other imaging programs I've tried failed to boot when the image was restored.  Others can't restore image of a larger drive to a smaller drive even when the data space is less than the smaller drive capacity.  Some are limited to WinXP or later, and I have multi boot systems including Win98 and Win2k.  For these reasons I decided to choose Seagate DiscWizard because it works with all Windows versions I've tried, and it works faster than Ghost 2003.  DiscWizard may also be included in a BartPE CD which may include other utilities as well instead of having to have one CD for imaging and one or more other CDs to run other utilities one may want or need to run.  Don't forget DiscWizard is free as well, and it's based on Acronis which is highly rated by many users.

IP Logged

stun vs spock
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #16 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 12:44am

@nightowl

the time came for me and i bought it. i'll get back to you on how it compares to ghost2003.

IP Logged

stun vs spock
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 4:32pm

@tator

thank you for the suggestions. i went to the limit of my patience trying to get ghost2003 to work with 1T and larger drives (SATA, that is). at a certain point i was wasting time that's worth far more than 30,40, 50 bucks. its taken me a long time to learn that there's a certain point where its time go for the obvious.

about the partitions i wasn't using dynamic - just the regular stuff.

after a week or so up til 4am (and looking and feeling it) i have to agree with s*y*m*a*n*tek: ghost003 doesn't work with large drives - divide overflow.

man, i don't mind telling you i think simon-tek are a bunch of **** dirty rats. i don't think it would have cost them much at all to fix the drive size problem in 2003. i wouldn't mind if they charged $30 for it and called it 2003/2010 or something.

about disk wizard, i agree its not bad, but i want something that covers almost all eventualities and drive image looks to be the one.

it looks to me for certain now that the best way to go anymore is open-source or small companies.

to everyone still using "old" or "dated" drives, OS, motherboards, or applications - keep on going! because i'm doing video i need the drive space but i'm sticking with XP. i use ME for a few specialized applications. W2K is great but i can't run everything on it.

i'm stopping with XP. after that it'll be linux for me. i'm already off the wagon, but probably will be using XP for years with all the time, energy and money invested (like billions of others).

if it doesn't slow you down at all, there's no reason to get rid of it.

st-vs-sp

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 8:41pm

@
stun vs spock

stun vs spock wrote on Mar 16th, 2010 at 12:44am:
the time came for me and i bought it. 

I'm curious. What did you buy?

IP Logged

stun vs spock
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #19 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 11:16pm

@brian

i bought what you suggested i try out - thanks for the suggestion! tonight i'm going to put it to work.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 12:03am

@
stun vs spock

Nice. You will have TBOSDT Pro as well. An unsung piece of software. It is great when restoring an image to different hardware results in a non booting OS. On the non booting OS you can install IDE or SATA drivers as well as changing the HAL. To get the new computer to boot. I've been playing with this lately.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #21 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 8:43am

Many programs require Windows, and some sites require Internet Explorer.  I'd suggest making multi boot Windows and Linux when you think your done with Windows in case you may need it.  I still have multi boot Windows  including Win98 because some older apps either don't run on WinXP or run less well on WinXP.  I use Win98 only for older apps and run WinXP for everything else.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 2:38pm

@
Tator

I have about 20 bootable partitions on my HD0, but not including Win98. Out of interest I tried to install Win98 last year but towards the end of the install I received an error message saying I didn't have enough memory. I have 2 GB RAM. Win98 will run in a virtual machine in this computer.

Have you seen this error message?

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #23 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 12:40pm

I installed Win98 in the normal way and have not tried it in a virtual machine.  My system has 512MB RAM, and I've received no insufficient memory messages.  However, I have had issues with Win98 Fdisk not correctly recognizing drive size of larger hard drives, and I had to partition and format such drives in Win2k or WinXP after which Win98 recognized drive partitions as long as it didn't exceed the 137GB limit for Win98.  I'd guess Win98 might have issues with larger amounts of RAM too, but that's just speculation by me. 

You might try installing Win98 with less RAM in the PC and then install the full 2GB RAM if Win98 installs with less RAM.  It may or may not work, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

IP Logged

Ghost2003-Wonder
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #24 - Aug 5th, 2011 at 7:49pm

stun vs spock wrote on Mar 16th, 2010 at 4:32pm:
@tator

thank you for the suggestions. i went to the limit of my patience trying to get ghost2003 to work with 1T and larger drives (SATA, that is). at a certain point i was wasting time that's worth far more than 30,40, 50 bucks. its taken me a long time to learn that there's a certain point where its time go for the obvious.

about the partitions i wasn't using dynamic - just the regular stuff.

after a week or so up til 4am (and looking and feeling it) i have to agree with s*y*m*a*n*tek: ghost003 doesn't work with large drives - divide overflow.

man, i don't mind telling you i think simon-tek are a bunch of **** dirty rats. i don't think it would have cost them much at all to fix the drive size problem in 2003. i wouldn't mind if they charged $30 for it and called it 2003/2010 or something.

about disk wizard, i agree its not bad, but i want something that covers almost all eventualities and drive image looks to be the one.

it looks to me for certain now that the best way to go anymore is open-source or small companies.

to everyone still using "old" or "dated" drives, OS, motherboards, or applications - keep on going! because i'm doing video i need the drive space but i'm sticking with XP. i use ME for a few specialized applications. W2K is great but i can't run everything on it.

i'm stopping with XP. after that it'll be linux for me. i'm already off the wagon, but probably will be using XP for years with all the time, energy and money invested (like billions of others).

if it doesn't slow you down at all, there's no reason to get rid of it.

st-vs-sp

stun vs spock,

I got very long hours of hands on tests with whole bunch of USB 2.0/SATA, USB2.0/PATA HDDs, Flash Drives in the past 2 weeks. I even bought a Seagate 1TB USB2.0/SATA Expansion HDD just for the test because the only one failed case in using a Hitachi 1TB SATA HDD might not be convicing enough to convict the failure of the Ghost 2003 dealing with 1TB HDD.

My conclusion is the same as yours: Ghost 2003, even with the most-up-to-date build of .793, can not handle any HDD of capacity larger than (in my case, it is equal to) 1TB, period.

As whether it is an easy job to fiddle the Ghost 2003 source code to fix this problem, I am not so sure as you. In the digital world, even one single line change to the codes need to go through the complete test cycle to verifiy that it will not bring up unanticipated side effect(s); if backware compatible is also to be covered, the problem could grow exponentially in no time.

Oh, I used an old Dell P4 2.8GHz/512MB BIOS A02 machine in the test. Boothing the Ghost 2003 either via 1.44MB Floppy or an HP 2G USB Flash Drive. The USB 2.0/SATA-PATA deviced used in the test are too much to be described. Amid the junks, there are only two 1TB HDD: one is Hitachi the other is a Seagate.

I can live with Ghost 2003's <1TB limitation. Since I have never tried to installed multiple OS' to my computer, I always remind myself to resist the temptation to put any HDD larger than 100G into the desktop as my booting HDD. Therefore, ghosting an image of 20 ~ 40 GB is about the regular backup job for my daily use. A 500GB HDD shall be enough to keep at least 10 different copies System Images for me --- my only concern is that very soon I might not be able to find any HDD less than 1TB on the market.

Given the fact that the eSATA port is getting very popular now (eSATA is N/A on any of my machines though. As an IC design engineer, I my self have not bough any Mother Board ever since my 2003 MSI Intel Celeron? 2.4GHz from local Fry's; I just "inherited" the computers from my relatives, friend who wanted to trash their machines.) I wonder is it possible and practical that people not only boot up the computer with an eSATA HDD, but also install all the applications and save the data on the same eSATA HDD? (just totally give up the idea of any Internal HDD?)

If that's practical, then the 1-OS-per-1-eSATA-HDD or 1-USER-per-1-eSATA-HDD sounds like very attractive idea to me. It can reduce a lot of conflictions between co-users of the same desktop PC resulted from lousy cleaning job or relentless download addiction... and etc. Slate/Tablet computer can also rely on this approach to make it a more practical device to people like me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print