Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recovering files In Ghost 10 to a new machine. (Read 3829 times)
Robert Reznikoff
N00b

I Love Radified!

Pike Road AL

Recovering files In Ghost 10 to a new machine.
Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:54am

I wish to recover selected files from a Ghost 10 image on an external drive connected to a Windows 2000 machine that failed.  I have a new laptop running Windows XP that I would like to use to retrieve these files.  Should I install Ghost 10 to the laptop (I have the disc) to retrieve these files?  Will it work, or is there a better way?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Recovering files In Ghost 10 to a new machine.
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 12:30pm

Robert,

The easiest way is to boot from the Ghost 10 CD and choose "Recover My Files".

If you install Ghost you could mount the recovery point as a virtual drive and use Copy and Paste.

IP Logged

Robert Reznikoff
N00b

I Love Radified!

Pike Road AL

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 10:16am

I am a novice and I don't fully understand your advice.  Since my old computer is "kaput", I presume I must first start by installing Ghost 10 on my new laptop.  Then I will have to connect my external drive to the laptop.  I guess that at that point I can choose "Recover my Files".  I now am lost at your last statement, "you could mount the recovery point as a virtual drive and use Copy and Paste".  How do I do that?  Does the fact that the original files were saved on a machine using Windows 2000 and my new laptop uses Windows XP create a problem?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 7:48pm

@
Robert Reznikoff

Quote:
Since my old computer is "kaput", I presume I must first start by installing Ghost 10 on my new laptop

Actually, no!  You do not *have to* unless that's what you prefer! 

That's what Brian was attempting to explain:

Quote:
The easiest way is to boot from the Ghost 10 CD and choose "Recover My Files".

The Ghost 10 installation CD is also bootable--if your OS will not boot, you can boot from the installation CD--it load what's called the *Ghost Recovery Environment*--from there you can restore an image to your system--or you can choose the utility *Recover My Files*--this utility allows you to copy files from an image file to the location of your choice on your current HDD.

The other option:

Quote:
If you install Ghost you could mount the recovery point as a virtual drive and use Copy and Paste.

If you decide to first install Ghost 10, then Ghost 10 has the ability when you run the Ghost program (it's called Ghost Explorer in Ghost 2003--I don't know if that same program name is used in Ghost 10) under Windows to *mount* an image file so it appears as if it's another partition when you browse the mounted image--i.e. a *virtual drive*--it will have its own drive letter assigned!  You can then use *Copy and Paste* just as you would using Windows Explorer.

Hope that helps!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print