Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 and Norton SystemWorks will not start! (Read 7808 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Ghost 2003 and Norton SystemWorks will not start!
Mar 25th, 2010 at 12:53pm

Help--anybody!!!!

I don't know if this is a *Ghost*--or, other software issue........

I started having problems with Microsoft Security Essentials--so I uninstalled it, and installed AVG!  But, that made my internet access really ssssslllllllloooooooowwwwww!!!!  So, I uninstalled it and have now installed AVAST!

All seems okay...but then I tried to open my Windows interface for Norton SystemWorks and for the Ghost 2003 interface..... when I click on the shortcuts, I see a brief flicker of an hour-glass change to the mouse curser and then nothing more happens--no error message, or anything!!!!

I opened the *properties* for the shortcuts, found the target program that is associated with the short cut--go there in Windows Explorer--click on it--still nothing happens.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure when the problem occurred--whether it started with the installation or uninstall of any of the above programs--I didn't try opening the Symantec programs until I had long finished those procedures--so it may or may not have anything to do with them--but, I'm suspicious!

Does anyone know how a program can be *disabled* so it will not respond when you click on it?

So far, I have not run across any other programs that will not open!

I'd like to know what's going on before I do any further troubleshooting--searching Goggle did not, as yet, show me any similar problems that others are having--but, Norton SystemWorks 2003 is *old* and not as often used anymore--and I may be using the *wrong* search terms!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Ghost 2003 and Norton SystemWorks will not start!
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 2:46pm

NightOwl,
I'm a lousy trouble shooter for the simple reason that I always go get my Ghost 2003 floppies ... Lips Sealed ... !

On one occasion, a computer that I built and installed had been messed up. One of the symptoms was that several shortcuts to programs didn't work. The owner could not tell what she had done but luckily for me, one of the prerequisites for my "services" is that they invest in Ghost 2003 so ... Cool ... I asked for the floppies and she was up and running within an hour (several updates to install).

I have no idea why I'm suggesting this but I would do a search in the registry for the targets and shortcuts to the same that don't work and see if I can find something.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 5:46pm

@
NightOwl

That sounds nasty. I suspect malware. Have you tried a Boot-Time Scan with Avast?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 1:28am

Sounds like a registry foul up.   Uninstall and reinstall should fix it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 12:52am

@
Christer

@
Brian

@
MrMagoo

Good suggestions--and I started to try them--but ran into a problem searching the registry!!!

I have to attend to some other business for the next several days--so can't continue troubleshooting for now--I'll be back with more info later.

Thanks!

Any other suggestions from others?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print