Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
System lock-up / Onboard wireless adapter toast (Read 32921 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: System lock-up / Onboard wireless adapter toast
Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 1:04am

Dan Goodell wrote on Apr 19th, 2010 at 5:48am:
But with the wireless device disabled, that shouldn't have been a problem, right?

The wireless device disappeared, and showed up as 'Other devices - PCI device'. But after disabling that, I think the controller sometimes 'remembered' it was a Wireless adapter .. and came back and locked the system. I now have it disabled, but still having occasional problems. Will post another thread.

Dan Goodell wrote on Apr 19th, 2010 at 5:48am:
Where is the wireless device on the laptop?

Onboard. Motherboard. One of the Rad readers sent me one. I have it here.

NightOwl wrote on Apr 24th, 2010 at 12:48am:
Seems like a good argument to have at least one *cold* imaging solution available in case your Windows based *hot* imaging solution can not be used because of Windows stability preventing enough time to create a backup image!

I think the locks go beyond Windows to affect system at hardware-level. Cuz I get problems in/at BIOS boots (returning from standby) IRQ conflcit - 2 beeps - F1 to continue. F2 to BIOS settings.

I really need to find a way to disable the controller on the mobo, bu I don;t think there's a way, without killing the who newtwork adapter.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #16 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 9:12am

Rad wrote on Apr 25th, 2010 at 1:04am:
I really need to find a way to disable the controller on the mobo, bu I don;t think there's a way, without killing the who newtwork adapter. 

A high quality BIOS would have that option, but some of the early on-board wireless adapters were left out of BIOS.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #17 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 11:38am

@
Rad

Not sure I understand:

Quote:
Onboard. Motherboard. One of the Rad readers sent me one. I have it here.

If it's *Onboard*, how can one of your readers *send* you one--is it a plug-in *card*--or is it *hardwired*--not sure what you're saying here!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Spanky
Radmeister

Rad's non-Admin Test profile
in Seamonkey

Same as Rad

Reply #18 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 10:12pm

I disabled the onboard Wireless adapter, in Windows, tho not in the BIOS, which is causing me boot problems. Coming out of standby is cool, cuz that goes straight to Windows. But many times I get *nothing* after a restart. The CD and HDD lights stay on for 10 or 15 sec. Then go out.

Can't even boot to Ghost CD.

Anyway, the adapter he sent is USB. Better than pcmcia cuz i's hot-swappable.

Broke out the old Rad rig and started rippin' everything out. Pretty dirty. SCSI drives galore. Getting ready to install this other mobo, dual-CPUs. Not sure how much RAM i have, tho. I use lots RAM.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print