Send Topic Print
USB Wireless? (Read 6803 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

USB Wireless?
Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:45pm

Anybody have experience with this or any other USB wireless device?

NETOPIA~802.11G USB WIRELESS-G ADAPTER

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370359136385

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: USB Wireless?
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 2:19pm

Fry's Electronics frequently offers good deals on cheap wireless adapters.  Sometimes they are as cheap as $5.  Watch their ads if you can.  I've had good luck with cheap brands like Airlink.  The only one I advise people to stay away from is DLink, and that goes for *all* their products.

Regarding your blog entry on the wireless adapter, it makes sense that your fan spins less when you are on the wired connection.  You may want to stick with the wired connection when you're at home.  It requires a lot less power to use, which means (as you noticed) a lot less heat and a lot less fan work.  Heat is the primary reason laptops die much younger than desktops, so if there is something simple you can do to keep it cooler, it is probably worth it to extend the life of the machine.  Wired connections are also generally more secure and faster.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 3:36pm

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Apr-0-2010/24HourSale/index-landing.html?nm...

Promo code for a Buffalo wireless usb adapter.  Far right on the second row.  Buffalo usually makes quality stuff.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 1:30am

MrMagoo wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 2:19pm:
stay away from is DLink

Haha, that's the brand for the graphic I used. Have to change that. Smiley At least, they're stylish.

Reader is sending me one. Sometimes I work at the coffee shop, or the library. Will be nice to have wireless there.

MrMagoo wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 2:19pm:
Wired connections are also generally more secure and faster.

I recall you preaching that. Never thought onboard wireless would make that much heat difference.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:00am

I have one of the little netbooks and when I'm out and about, I use an "AirLink 101, wireless N USB Adapter, model # AWLL6077.  It came with a 6" extension cable that's STIFF, so you can bent it so the flash drive sized adapter is pointing UP.
I works like a champ on all type B, G and N wireless systems.

I have several AirLink 101 products and have never had one minutes trouble with any of them.

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print