Send Topic Print
cloning windows 7 (Read 18485 times)
wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

cloning windows 7
Apr 24th, 2010 at 10:13pm

After reading the ghost 2003 thread and trying that and ghost 11.5 unsuccessfully, here s the question.

has anyone found a simple way to clone windows 7 ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: cloning windows 7
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 10:52pm

@
wp

Just so we are talking the same language, what do you mean by "clone"? Creating an image of the partition or copying the partition to another HD?

Would you mind describing what you have done with the DOS Ghost apps?

Does your Win7 have an associated System Reserved Partition?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 11:01pm

Alan, I know you want to do this with Ghost 2003.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 2:34am

Thank you for the replies.

I would like to do a disk to disk local clone.

I want to end up with a bootable disk. 

I prefer to use ghost 2003 but could use ghost 11.5 at work.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 5:35am

Alan, I've never performed a disk to disk clone with Ghost 2003. I would use CopyWipe for DOS because I know it works with Win7.

Are both HDs the same size or is the newer one larger?

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 8:07am

both are sata. 

new one larger. 

what is CopyWipe for DOS ?

where do i get it ?

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 8:20am

i found copywipe and downloaded it and will give it a try.

thank you.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 3:31pm

Alan,

CopyWipe for DOS works with Win7 whether there is a SRP or not.

The following instructions are for a laptop but just make a few changes to the wording if both HDs are internal.

Quote:
Download CopyWipe for DOS from  http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

Unzip. Double click makedisk.exe, run through the menus. Don't tick any "Change Wiping defaults". For Select Target, choose the drive letter of your CD burner.

Install the new HD in your laptop. It's OK if it is unpartitioned and empty. No problem either if it contains data. That will be deleted. Place the old HD in your USB enclosure. Boot from the CopyWipe for DOS CD. Select Copy a Hard Drive. The Source HD should be USB2 HD but press F6 to confirm the partition structure is consistent with that HD. The Target HD should be BIOS HD (direct), HD 0 but press F6 to confirm the partition structure is consistent with that HD. Choose Straight Copy or Scale Size. etc

Don't worry about messing it up. You can always do it again. But BEWARE. Some people have stupidly cloned in the wrong direction.

When the clone has completed, remove the CD and unplug the USB HD. Only then, boot from the new HD. No other HD should be connected until after the first successful boot.

CopyWipe for DOS was released several years ago and  there is a slight glitch if you use Scale Size. The new HD will not boot but will after you do a BCD Edit.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=318

If you use Straight Copy the new HD will boot without needing "assistance".

TeraByte Unlimited have IFD and IFL which can do a Scale Size copy of a Win7 HD without needing a BCD Edit but they aren't as easy to use as CopyWipe for DOS.

Edit... I just noticed your HDs are SATA and are probably internal. Use the BIOS HD (direct) choice for both HDs.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 12:48am

Thank you for the reply.

I edited your instructions to read as follows:

CopyWipe for DOS works with Win7 whether there is a SRP or not.

is this correct ?

thank you

Alan

The following instructions are for a laptop but just make a few changes to the wording if both HDs are internal.

Download CopyWipe for DOS from  http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

Unzip. Double click makedisk.exe, run through the menus.

Don't tick any "Change Wiping defaults".

For Select Target, choose the drive letter of your CD burner.

Burn a CD to create a CopyWipe for DOS CD.

Turn off computer.

Install the new HD.

It's OK if it is unpartitioned and empty.

If it contains data, the data will be deleted.

Boot from the CopyWipe for DOS CD.

Select Copy a Hard Drive.

Use the BIOS HD (direct) choice for both HDs.

Choose Straight Copy or Scale Size.

Don't worry about messing it up. You can always do it again. But BEWARE. Some people have cloned in the wrong direction.

When the clone has completed, shut down.

Remove the CD and the original HD.

Boot from the new HD.

CopyWipe for DOS was released several years ago and  there is a slight glitch if you use Scale Size.

The new HD will not boot but until after you do a BCD Edit.

How to Use the BCD Edit Feature of BootIt NG

How to Use the BCD Edit Feature of BootIt NG
BootIt NG, beginning in version 1.80, includes a feature that enables you to view and edit the boot configuration data (BCD) for Windows Vista.  Version 1.86b adds support for Windows 7. Please note that when working with partitions that do not contain a BCD file, this feature will not be accessible.

Accessing BCD Edit

To view or edit a partition's BCD file:

Click the Partition Work icon on the BootIt NG desktop (or press Alt+W).  The Work with Partitions window appears.

Select the appropriate drive using the radio buttons on the left side of the Work with Partitions window.

Select the appropriate partition. For Windows Vista, it will usually be the Vista partition. For Windows 7, it will be the System Reserved 100MB partition if it exists, otherwise it will usually be the Windows 7 partition. Once the correct partition has been selected, click the Properties button (or double-click the partition).  The partition's Properties window appears.

If the correct partition has been selected, a BCD Edit button will appear near the bottom of the Properties window.  If the BCD Edit button does not appear, the partition does not contain BCD.

Click the BCD Edit button.  The BCD Edit window appears.  Note: If you click the BCD Edit button and get a No BCD Store error message, you have probably selected the wrong partition.
Important BCD Settings

To boot Windows Vista or Windows 7, ensure that your BCD is configured as follows:

Menu Entries

Select the Menu radio button on the left side of the BCD Edit window.  An entry titled Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 should appear in the Items list.

Select the Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 item and then click the Edit button (or double-click the desired item).  The properties of the selected item will appear in a new window.

Select the Device entry from the list of Properties and then click the Edit button (or double-click the Device entry).  The Edit window appears.

In the upper Type drop-down list, select the hard drive number on which Windows Vista / Windows 7 is installed.

In the lower Type drop-down list, select the partition on which Windows Vista / Windows 7 is installed.

Click OK in the Edit window.  You will be returned to the window showing the properties of the Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 item.
Note: Repeat Steps 3 - 6 for the OS Device entry (i.e. in Step 3, select the OS Device entry).  When done, click Close to return to the BCD Edit window.

Boot Entry

Select the Boot radio button on the left side of the BCD Edit window.  An entry titled Windows Boot Manager should appear in the Items list.

Select the Windows Boot Manager item and then click the Edit button (or double-click the Windows Boot Manager item).  The properties of the Windows Boot Manager item will appear in a new window.

Select the Device entry from the list of Properties and then click the Edit button (or double-click the Device entry).  The Edit window appears.

Generally, you should have {boot} selected in the upper Type drop-down list.  In this case, the lower Type drop-down list will be unused and inaccessible.  However, if necessary, you may use the upper Type drop-down list to select the hard drive number on which the BCD file resides (i.e. the hard drive where the file bootmgr can be found).

If you have a specific hard drive selected in the upper Type drop-down list, you must also select the partition on which the BCD file resides for the lower Type drop-down list.

Note: Repeat Steps 2 - 5 for the Windows Memory Diagnostic entry (i.e. in Step 2, select the Windows Memory Diagnostic entry).

Click OK in the Edit window.  You will be returned to the window showing the properties of the Windows Boot Manager item.
When done, click Close in the Windows Boot Manager properties window, click Close on the BCD Edit window, then click OK in the partition Properties window. 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 12:55am

Alan,

SRP or not, it will still work.

Are you planning a Straight Copy or a Scaled Size?

As an alternative to the BootIt NG BCD Edit you can boot from a Win7 DVD and do 2 repairs. On the second repair you see a big menu and you choose Startup Repair.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 12:58am

ps

I don't think I can successfully do the bootitng steps.

I have Partition Manager 8, but I don't thnk it works with Windows 7.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 1:01am

I did not see your reply.

I plan to use a 500 gig sata as destination HD.

So I plan to use scaled.

Whit is SRP ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 1:09am

System Reserved Partition. It is the 100 MB System, Active partition that contains the booting files. You may not have one. I prefer to not have it.

As I mentioned, if you use Scaled Size the new HD will not boot (a Windows Boot Manager error). Don't worry, 10 minutes later it will be working. The easiest way for you is the 2 repairs from the Win7 DVD. Let me know if there are any questions. You can't do any damage to your old HD so it should be an anxiety free procedure. But don't clone in the wrong direction. The F6 choices certainly help you identify HD0 and HD1.

Edit... Make sure you disconnect the old HD before the first boot from the new HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 1:44am

I've got a test computer with Win7 installed. I'll do a CopyWipe for DOS using Scaled Size to see if there is anything you should know. I did this a few months ago and there were no issues out of the ordinary. Apart from the non boot.

Straight Copy doesn't need a repair.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 2:14am

Done. CopyWipe for DOS took just over 5 minutes (about 7 GB of data in Win7). The 2 boots from the Win7 DVD took almost 10 minutes. I usually do a BootIt NG BCD Edit as I can do it in 30 seconds.

HD0 was 40 GB. HD1 was 80 GB.

I'm booted to Win7 on the new HD now. (The test computer)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print