Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windows 7 Checkdisk (Read 6127 times)
texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Windows 7 Checkdisk
May 21st, 2010 at 1:24pm

This is not Ghost related but I always get good answers from you good folks anyways.

I recently purchased an external USB drive.  I was able to successfully do a DOS backup using Terabyte for DOS.  No problem.

Later when I booted into Windows 7 it did a checkdisk on my USB drive and said that I had problems with it.  I allowed to "fix" the errors.  Ouch!

Then I went back to do another DOS backup using Terabyte.  Now it can't save a backup to the USB drive.  Apparently Windows 7 did something to the USB drive so that Terabyte can't write to it in DOS anymore.

I believe at this stage I need to reformat the USB drive to correct the problem.  I think I'll go into WIN XP to do this reformat, not trusting what Windows 7 may do.  Since the drive is new I have nothing on it to lose.

Are there other options or good advice to help me?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Windows 7 Checkdisk
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2010 at 4:24am

@
texdawg

Is it fixed after doing a WinXP format?

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2010 at 8:06pm

First I did a quick format, no dice.  Then I did a full format, no dice.

Terabyte recognizes the USB drive as being connected but it does not recognize any files or folders on the drive.  This problem did not occur before Win 7 "fixed" the drive.  I get the message "unable to write file" when I try to do a DOS back up.  Drive works normally in both XP and 7. 

Its not my computer because the exact same thing occurs on my daughter's computer.  In fact I did my first DOS backup on her computer successfully before I did a DOS backup on mine.  This is really wierd.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2010 at 8:26pm

@
texdawg

Could you try this? It will give you a fresh First Track.

1. Plug in your USB HD (Win7 computer)

2. Open a command prompt as administrator (Right click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”

3. Find the drive number of your USB HD by typing the following into the Command Prompt window:

diskpart
      list disk
      The number of your USB drive will be listed. You’ll need this for the next step.  I’ll assume that the USB HD is disk 2.

4. Format the drive by typing the following instructions into the same window. Replace the number “2” with the number of your disk.

list disk    (already done)
      select disk 2
      list disk    (to confirm. There will be a Star next to the selected disk)
      clean
      create partition primary
      select partition 1
      active
      format fs=NTFS quick 
      assign
      exit

Does it work with IFD now?

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2010 at 11:08pm

Your procedure worked.  Thank you very much.

Now, why did your fix work better that my full reformat?  And, what was the real cause of my problem?  What did checkdisk actually do to make the mess?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2010 at 11:58pm

@
texdawg

I've seen similar situations in the Norton Forum. Perhaps if you had deleted and re-created the partition, that would have been sufficient. But we've suggested "clean" in the past and it has worked. It zeroes the First Track.

As to the underlying cause I can't say specifically what chkdsk did.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2010 at 7:10am

A little "Mr Clean" does the trick.  Thanks again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print