Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clone Win2K system onto dual boot Win2K and XP using XXCOPY (Read 13155 times)
wmbrae
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Toronto Canada

Clone Win2K system onto dual boot Win2K and XP using XXCOPY
May 28th, 2010 at 8:51am

A friend had an XP box but had to keep his old Win2K box because there were applications on it where he threw out the install Cd’s, so they couldn’t be copied.
The Win2K box was making strange noises so we looked into what could be done.
The plan would be to create a dual boot hard drive on his XP box where his Win2K system would also be installed. Saving him to have to change, keyboard, mouse and monitor cables when he switched boxes.

1) Got a 40 GB hard drive.

2) Booted Win2K install CD and created 3 Partitions, 12 GB, 4GB, 24GB
Installed Win2K in partition 1 C:\ 12 GB.  This is to make sure MBR and Bootsector expect a Win2K load.

3) Booted WinXP install CD and installed WinXP into partition 3 E:\ 24GB

4) Install freeware program XXCopy in WinXP

http://www.xxcopy.com/xcpydnld.htm

5) Power off, replaced CD drive with hard drive from Win2K box.

6) Booted up WinXP, ran XXCopy using as source the Win2K hard drive and destination of  partition 1 C:\ on current hard drive. Actually clobbering the fresh Win2K install I had done.  I used this command line

XXCOPY F:\*.*  C:\  /Ks/h/e/R/q/y

7) Power off, unplug Win2K hard drive, hook up CD drive.

8) Power up with WinXP install CD
    XXCOPY clobbered the boot.ini created by XP install (with 2 systems) with the original boot up of Win2K from the hard drive.  Not knowing what to do, I did a WinXP in place install (re-installed XP) just to get the dual boot boot.ini.
Then powered off and powered on again and select Win2K.

9) Success, Win2K starts up.  Now test those precious programs.  Yes they run.
Shut down, Power up and run WinXP, everything OK.

I installed Win2K on C:\ to keep the programs on the old box happy, since they would be looking for C:\
The WinXP box was from the same company as the Win2K box, so finding the new MB and hardware wasn’t hard at all for the first Win2K boot up on a different machine.

Question 1
I was wondering if there would be a way to skip the first Win2K install and WinXP reinstall.
If I could just copy the old Win2K into C:\ and then add a line in boot.ini for WinXP

multi(0)disk(0)rddisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS=”Windows XP”noexecute=option/fastdetect

Question 2
My first attempt was to copy the registry from the old Win2K system and install it on the freshly installed Win2K system (I can easily copy over the Program Files stuff).

I used the Backup tool in Win2K, it created a backup file just fine, but also recorded the time tag of the Backup.
When I tried the Restore tool on the other hard drive, it had no record of the backup so I was unable to put the registry of the Win2K box on this new hard drive.

Ok, it’s not such a good idea for the hardware specific things in the registry but is there a way to do it for the software programs?

IP Logged

wmbrae
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Toronto Canada

Re: Clone Win2K system onto dual boot Win2K and XP using XXCOPY
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2010 at 8:42pm

re Question 1

Here are two suggestions to eliminate the XP re-install.  I haven’t tried them.

Method 1

At step 4
Copy Boot.ini on C: drive to one of the other drives before running XXCOPY

Replace step 8
Copy back boot.ini back to C:\ drive after XXCOPY

Method 2
UseXP install CD
At Win XP Set up
R- to Recovery Console
C – To select repair Console

Bootcfg /add

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2010 at 9:09pm

@
wmbrae

Have you considered installing the OS so they are independent? No sharing of booting files.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/index.htm

IP Logged

wmbrae
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Toronto Canada

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2010 at 11:37pm

Your article is really well written and informative.  Thanks.
I'm not sure of the advantages of the independent os's.  In fact he still has Dos programs on his W2K system, which he can now run in XP.  I created the D: partition for data.
There are only two os's, i like to keep it simple.

You seem to have experience with PKZIP.
I used PKZIP in the Dos days but ran into trouble with my Dos version once Fat32 came arround.  For NTFS, I used Info Zip/Unzip. But ran into a problem if the source data is greater than 4GB .. info zip stops.  What version of PKZIP are you using and have you encountered a source data size limit? 
I use Info Zip because it was the only program that didn't bomb on the unzip when Macromedia would produce path names greater than 512 bytes on a Win98 hard drive.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 1:43am

@
wmbrae

wmbrae wrote on May 31st, 2010 at 11:37pm:
I'm not sure of the advantages of the independent os's. 

I think Dan's page on "What's wrong with the Microsoft Way" explains why you should avoid it. The independent OS way is by far the easiest and most reliable method. I have about 20 OS partitions on this computer. You can't do that with the Microsoft Way. Each OS behaves as if it is the only OS on the computer.

Sorry, no experience with PKZIP.

Does your friend have pqboot32.exe (from Partition Magic/Boot Magic)? It can be used as a simple boot manager.

IP Logged

wmbrae
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Toronto Canada

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 12:24pm

Sorry for mixing you (Brian) with Dan. 
Neither of us have pqboot32.exe, I'm a fan of open source stuff or freeware. I can feel the pain the author of XXCOPY went through for the little things that get in the way.  What I mean by simple is that the Microsoft recovery console tools can be used as designed, and once in a while they even are useful. Otherwise, I would be totally helpless.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 3:41pm

@
wmbrae

wmbrae wrote on Jun 1st, 2010 at 12:24pm:
Neither of us have pqboot32.exe

This boot manager is free.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#note28

XOSL (Extended Operating System Loader)

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 9:07pm

wmbrae wrote on Jun 1st, 2010 at 12:24pm:
I'm not sure of the advantages of the independent os's. 
[...]
What I mean by simple is that the Microsoft recovery console tools can be used as designed, and once in a while they even are useful.

Try stepping back a bit and rereading your post #1.  That can hardly be called "simple".  Anyone who thinks the Microsoft-style pseudo-dualboot is simpler hasn't objectively thought it through.

With truly independent OS partitions, you can backup/restore either one without regard to the other.  You can restore them in any order.  You can put them on a new hard disk.  You can put them on separate hard disks.  You can repartition without a lot of hassle.  You can eliminate either one without messing up the other.  Independent OS's are far simpler, as well as more robust.  (A Microsoft-style dualboot is notoriously fragile.)

wmbrae wrote on May 31st, 2010 at 11:37pm:
I used PKZIP in the Dos days but ran into trouble with my Dos version once Fat32 came arround.For NTFS, I used Info Zip/Unzip. But ran into a problem if the source data is greater than 4GB .. info zip stops.What version of PKZIP are you using and have you encountered a source data size limit?

I don't use zipfiles that large, so can't comment on any size limits.

The last DOS version of PKZip was 2.04.  FAT32 was a DOS problem, not a PKZip problem.  PKZip 2.04 worked just fine with FAT32 as long as your DOS version supported FAT32.  DOS 6.x did not support FAT32, but DOS 7.1 (the version underlying Win98se) does.

As a DOS program, PKZip 2.04 only supported 8.3 filenames.  While it would work without complaint on Windows files, the archive would end up with the tilded, 8.3 counterparts instead of Windows' long filenames.

In the mid-90's, PKWare briefly released PKZip 2.50, a 32-bit update that supported NTFS and long filenames.  It was a command-line only utility, and was released free to registered users of PKZip 2.04.  That's the version I still use today, as it has some command-line options that to this day are still unavailable in nearly every other alternative zip utility.

Note this command-line version was short-lived, and a few years later was replaced by a Windows GUI version, not free, but confusingly also labeled "PKZip 2.50".

IP Logged

wmbrae
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Toronto Canada

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 5:52pm

Re PKZip and Fat32, ok the issue was not Dos based.  The issue was that you could get more files on a Fat32 system, PKZip built it's table of Zip files in ram memory and bombed out when the internal table was exceeded.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1138405394

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1138405722

re : simple
When I mean simple, I'm referring to me, I'm simple.  I can load a Win install cd and install.  Whatever problem my friend runs into I can handle it.  All user data is on D:\ which he backs up (including copies of browser bookmarks).  I have shown I can restore Win2K on any machine as long as the original hard drive holds up.  For WinXP I try, recovery console, in place install, and last start all over again.  This I can do.  I'm simple.
I was just trying to save some steps the next time with my questions.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 3:10am

wmbrae wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 5:52pm:
Re PKZip and Fat32, ok the issue was not Dos based.The issue was that you could get more files on a Fat32 system, PKZip built it's table of Zip files in ram memory and bombed out when the internal table was exceeded.

Ah, I see--it's a programmatic file count limitation.  Hadn't considered that, but of course it makes sense; every program is always going to have a limit of some sort.

I still don't get how you conclude it has anything to do with the file system, though.  A FAT16 file system can contain over 16000 files, too.  The program will have the same restriction regardless of which file system you use.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print