Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cloning an IBM Thinkpad (Read 5444 times)
shlepr
N00b

I Love Radified!

Philadelphia, PA

Cloning an IBM Thinkpad
Jun 5th, 2010 at 6:04am

I am trying to clone a Windows XP O/S running on an IBM Thinkpad into a virtual partition of Parallels running on a MAC/OS.  I know this isn't the forum for the MAC/OS or Parallels, but the problem I am having is with Ghost.  I boot the IBM Thinkpad off the Ghost 15 CD and do a full backup to an external USB disk drive.  It creates the v2i files.  Then I boot my Parallels partition with the Ghost 15 CD and do a recover from the USB external disk drive.  It gets just about all the way done when a box pops up and it asks to insert the 'Recovery disk'.  Can anyone explain to me what the 'Recovery Disk' is and how do I go about making it?

Thanks in advance,

Shlepr

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Cloning an IBM Thinkpad
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 6:06pm

@
shlepr

The CD you are using is the Recovery Disk. This error message is a known problem with the CD and there is no solution. It usually occurs at 99% during the restore and people have found that removing the CD and restarting the computer is enough to make the restored OS work. Does that work for you?

IP Logged

shlepr
N00b

I Love Radified!

Philadelphia, PA

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 10:36am

Brian,

Thanks for the reply.  When I get the message to insert the 'Recovery Disk', I tried clicking on cancel and rebooting.  I get the BIOS messages and then get the Windows message for about 2 seconds, and then get the blue screen.  Then error message on the blue screen is code 7B.  Is there some step I have to do instead of clicking on cancel to get it to work?

Thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 4:05pm

IP Logged

shlepr
N00b

I Love Radified!

Philadelphia, PA

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 8:47am

Well, I did finally get it to work.  After reading through the above link and talking with Symantec, it seems that Ghost 15 can only recovery to the same hardware configuration.  I was able to obtain the Ghost 14 recovery disk and there is an option during the recovery that you check if the target hardware is different than the source hardware.

Thanks again for you help.  It got me going on the right path to success.

Shlepr  Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 4:23pm

@
shlepr

Thank you for the feedback. What is that option in Ghost 14?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print