Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does 2003 work with Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Read 10846 times)
victor
N00b

I Love Radified!

Does 2003 work with Windows Vista and Windows 7
Jun 15th, 2010 at 4:12pm

Can anyone tell me if Ghost 2003 will work with Windows Vista and Windows 7 without any problems or issues ? Should I instead upgrade to the latest version which is 15 I think ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Does 2003 work with Windows Vista and Windows 7
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 9:49pm

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 4:41pm

Victor,
Between windows XP and Windows Vista, Microshaft did something to the NTFS format, boot sector, whatever. ???

It confuses the heck out of Ghost 2003 and a backup will not restore without you having to manually repair the boot sector.

Most users have found it just easier to upgrade their version of Ghost to one that will do the job without any acrobatics.
From everything I've read, Ghost 11.5 is the oldest version that will still run from a DOS boot disk and work correctly with Vista or Win-7.  A friend is using Ghost 15 on a boot CD and he tells me it works well, but will not burn a Ghost image to a CD/DVD.  Ghost 11.5 will do that.

So what version of Ghost you use, depends a lot on how you want to run it and what you want it to do for you.

Good Luck,
Old Casper

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 5:15pm

OldCasper wrote on Jul 31st, 2010 at 4:41pm:
Between windows XP and Windows Vista, Microshaft did something to the NTFS format, boot sector, whatever. ???

It confuses the heck out of Ghost 2003 and a backup will not restore without you having to manually repair the boot sector.

Not necessarily true.  See here.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 2:31pm

Dan,
That's great for the Computer Super Tech's, but for the casual user who just wants a reliable backup and restore program, my answer stands.

So for the g'zillions of people all over the world who would like to still use their old Ghost 2003 to backup and restore their new Windows 7 PC, the answer to the OP's question is still "NO!".

Sorry

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 5:14pm

Quote:
So for the g'zillions of people all over the world who would like to still use their old Ghost 2003 to backup and restore their new Windows 7 PC, the answer to the OP's question is still "NO!".

Well, I beg to differ. I've built a new BOAC (Box Of Assembled Components) for a friend. It's running Windows 7 Professional and Ghost 2003 has done the job of imaging and restoring. All I did was to add the -fdsp switch to get the restored ORIGINAL hard disk to boot without any further actions. If restoring to a DIFFERENT hard disk, I expect having to do a Startup Repair from the Win7 DVD.

It's all in that thread. I know it's looong but if you don't find it, in post #35 NightOwl provides the solution.

In addition to that, I followed Brian's advice in post #2 to avoid the System Reserved Partition by installing WinXP first, using its Disk Management Tool to partition and format all hard disks prior to installing Win7.

To be honest, I don't know if it would work on a computer bought over the desk. You would, at least, have to create images of the SRP and the partition onto which Win7 is installed "in parallel" but it should be do-able, I think.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 10:16pm

OldCasper wrote on Aug 7th, 2010 at 2:31pm:
That's great for the Computer Super Tech's, but for the casual user who just wants a reliable backup and restore program, my answer stands.

There's a big difference between fact and opinion.  Just because your opinion is that it won't work, doesn't make that true.  It can work.  That's a fact.  If you want to say it's too hard for you or other less technically inclined users to figure out, then say that.  To make an unqualified statement that it won't work is, plain and simple, incorrect.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print