Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003 - Cant get CDROM to work load (Read 3545 times)
Podge
N00b

I Love Radified!

Norton Ghost 2003 - Cant get CDROM to work load
Jun 22nd, 2010 at 6:51am

Hi all,

First time i have used this site, (i didnt even know it existed) but seems to me like people know what they are talking about from having a read through.

I am having a real annoying issue with using Ghost on some new laptops we have bought in the school.

They are all HP Compaq 615's.

I have created a new image of one i have set up, and saved the image onto my laptop, ready to burn onto DVDs.

I have got the image of the laptops onto DVDs and created a bootable DVD to start with, booting up into Ghost like i have used in the past.

I have used the same bootimage which has worked for SATA and IDE in the past, but when booting up it says it cant load the CDROM/DVD driver, then when it runs ghost, i cant see the CDROM/DVD drive to select the image to load. The only difference i can notice is that they were either Windows XP or Windows Vista machines previously, and now these ones are Windows 7 i am working on.

I have tried about 6 different Autoexec and Config.sys files, but to no avail.

The one i have always used, and always worked fine with both SATA and IDE is:

Autoexec:
path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
ghost.exe

Config.sys:
device=gcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
lastdrive=z

The files that are in my bootimage are:
autoexec.bat
command.com
config.sys
ghost.exe
io.sys
mscdex.exe
msdos.sys
oakcdrom.sys

I have been into the BIOS, and changed the setting from AHCI to IDE, and tried it both ways, but still doesnt load the CD drivers.

Any help on this would be much appreciated, as i have wasted 6 CDs so far, and got to the point where i am starting to get stressed out!!  Grin

Thanks in advance for any help!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 - Cant get CDROM to work load
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 12:33am

@
Podge

Well, I can not tell from your post why you were successful previously--but there are some issues I see in what you have posted:

Quote:
device=gcdrom.sys /d:nightowl

You have the *device* command for gcdrom.sys, but your list of files only lists the *oakcdrom.sys* and the *gcdrom.sys* is not listed!  Can't run a program if it's not there!

Also, that command line does not specify a controller channel number--by default the *gcdrom.sys* will only check channel *zero*--the first channel if a channel is not specified.  If your SATA optical drive is on channel 1, it will not be found using the command you have used!  You need a separate *device=* line for each possible channel.  During the POST, your optical drive channel may be listed for you to see--but, it only shows for a moment as the system boots.

If you have extra *device=* lines for channels that do not have a SATA optical drive--it will just error out saying a drive was not found--no foul/no harm.

Here's an example:

[config.sys]

device=himem.sys
dos=high
lastdrive=z
device=usbaspi.sys /e /v
device=di1000dd.sys /dU
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM000 /C0
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM001 /C1
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM002 /C2
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM003 /C3
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM004 /C4

[autoexec.bat]

path=a:\;x:\;x:\ghost;x:\pqmagic
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /D:CDROM000 /D:CDROM001 /D:CDROM002 /D:CDROM003 /D:CDROM004 /L:x /m:16 /v

List of files:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM
EDIT.COM
mouse.com
MSCDEX.EXE      (Assigns DOS drive letter to mounted PATA and SATA optical drives)
CONFIG.SYS
DI1000DD.SYS   (Assigns DOS drive letters to mounted external USB HDDs)
gcdrom.sys        (Mounts SATA optical drives)
HIMEM.SYS
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
OAKCDROM.SYS   (Mounts PATA optical drives)
Usbaspi.sys          (Mounts USB external HDDs)

GCDROM for DOS command line syntax

Notice, you have to have a separate optical device name (/D:12345678 ) (max of eight characters) for each line that is mounting the optical device, and that name has to occur in the *mscdex.exe* line in the autoexec.bat file as well.

The above DOS boot files should find, mount, and assign DOS drive letters to both PATA and SATA optical drives that may be present--but maximum of three, i.e. X, Y, and Z because the */L:x* in the *mscdex.exe* line forces DOS to begin optical drive letter assignment at X.  You can change that if you wanted to.

All the lines can be edited, included, or excluded depending on your needs--hope this helps.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print