Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Image Browser problems (Read 15146 times)
honzai_10
Dude

I Love Radified!

Image Browser problems
Jul 10th, 2010 at 5:04pm

I have Ghost v 9.0.2.3981 and am now unable to browse the image file from the Backup Image Browser while in Windows explorer. (I have always been able to do so until today. I last accessed files about a couple of week ago.) I run XP Pro SP3 (two WD 350 GB SATA HDDs with the OS and files on one disk and Ghost images on the other disk.) There are no virtual disks, SCSI, dynamic volumes, or spanned drives.
Investigation of MS Event Viewer reports two recent failed backups for 7/9/2010 and 7/5/2010: "Description: An error occurred during a scheduled backup of drive C:\. Error EBAB03EA: Internal Application Error: Memory Access Violation c0000005: Application tried to write memory at 02af6f00. Details: 0xEBAB03EA Source: Norton Ghost 9.0" The Ghost Console displays a similar message: “The description for Event ID '100' in Source 'Norton Ghost 9.0' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them. The following information is part of the event: 'Description: An error occurred during a scheduled backup of drive C:\. Error EBAB03EA: Internal Application Error: Memory Access Violation c0000005: Application tried to write memory at 02af6f00. Details: 0xEBAB03EA Source: Norton Ghost 9.0'”

MS Event Viewer shows PQV2iSvc agent to start automatically: "Description: Norton Ghost service started successfully." This service is set to run automatically with all the dependencies running: Event Log, Plug and Play, and RPC obviously  Smiley). MS System Restore is disabled in Services. I have had no problems to speak of with Norton Ghost with the exception of this displayed description under the Events Tab: "The description for Event ID '100' in Source 'Norton Ghost 9.0' cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them. The following information is part of the event:' Description: Norton Ghost service started successfully." I have observed that same message for almost the entire application history of a few years. I keep certain Services disabled and have never had problems running Ghost. I have been able to restore drives after Microsoft updates disabled booting to the desktop or my system became corrupted after user error Roll Eyes. There is ample room on both drives. The Ghost console lists the following messages via tabs:
Backup Jobs - "Backup Schedule: At 3:00 AM EDT on the specified days of the month, starting 12/13/2009. Next run time: 7/31/2010 3:00:00 AM; Incremental Schedule: At 3:00 AM EDT on the specified days of the week, starting 12/13/2009. Next run time: 7/12/2010 3:00:10 AM."
Backup History - The last successful backup was the Auto Incremental on June 25, 2010; (The description of the event is not displayed in the text box at the lower half of the console as it does for the Events Tab.)
Events Tab - Accurately displays all events for every instance of rebooting and functioning as described above. Ghost has been working and reporting successful backups from Jan 11, 2010 until the recent backup failure listed on the June 28 error log. The agent continues to start successfully as of today, June 10, 2010 at 2:15 when I rebooted to see if I could access the backup drive's 51 image files. This drive is used exclusively for Ghost. Every image file is unable to be opened and displays the same error message as of this writing.

I have had very few problems with the system hardware and I replaced the smaller ATA HDDs with larger SATAs. Ghost ran OK after each change. I wonder if recent MS updates are problematic. I did install CCleaner, a disk cache cleaner. I may have it set too aggressively. I occasionally run RegSupremePro, but it has never caused Ghost problems. Could be malware. I run NOD32 AV, Sunbelt Personal FW, and Spybot S&D (in manual mode.) I have a router/modem between the NIC and the WAN through SBC broadband. I built a custom desktop box which has run well for several years: XP Pro SP3 on a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 MB; 2GB DDR SDRAM Samsung memory (2 sticks); 2 WD 320GB SATA HDD; ATI Radeon 9600 XT AGP. It is an older system but it will do until I can afford a newer one and feel more secure about which newer MS OS to purchase. Hmmm, maybe a MAC.
Any ideas?

TIA, honzai_10

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Image Browser problems
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 6:55pm

@
honzai_10

Nice post!

Ghost 9 has been my favourite Ghost.

I've never been helped by those cryptic Ghost errors. Can you browse your image files and verify images from the Ghost CD recovery environment. This should exclude a hardware issue if you can. Bad RAM can cause strange issues.

If the recovery environment works I'd uninstall and reinstall Ghost. Please let us know what you find.

IP Logged

honzai_10
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 12:06pm

Thanks for the reply. It is a good version. I have had one other version from earlier days of W95 and 98SE (can't recall which); probably their bundled apps. I got Ghost 2003 for my brother's machine. Ran OK in one machine but then the same kind of problems on a second machine; it stopped backing up his system after a few days. I think Norton wants an installation CD for each machine. Anyway, I'll boot to the recovery environment and give the image browser a go. If I have to reinstall, I wonder if Norton will give the updates for this version (given the info I have read on this site about end of support issues.

IP Logged

honzai_10
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 1:07pm

Image browser from Ghost CD Recovery environment is OK! I can view each file within each image. I tried to do a one time backup from desktop environment first, but it ended after a few seconds with an error message: "The description for Event ID '100' in Source 'Norton Ghost 9.0' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'Description: An error occurred creating a backup of drive C:\. Error EBAB001A: An unknown exception has occurred. Details: 0xEBAB001A Source: Norton Ghost 9.0'".
I will attempt a reinstall and post results.
Error codes are cryptic and frequently vague and ambiguous. I Googled the error codes (only one or two pages of results depending on keywords)  and found several different issues totally unrelated to mine. So much for that.
I really do love Radified! Smiley

IP Logged

honzai_10
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 5:19pm

Rats! Uninstall/Reinstall didn't help. The image files are there, but won't open. Same error messages. Can't run a new backup. Same error messages as named in previous posts. I don't really want to restore a drive in recovery, but might have to. I'm half afraid my system will croak. Any value in upgrading to a newer version?

Honzai_10

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 5:29pm

honzai_10 wrote on Jul 11th, 2010 at 5:19pm:
Rats! Uninstall/Reinstall didn't help.

Damn. I thought it would work. Would you mind trying it again after using the Norton Removal Tool?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

If that doesn't work I suggest restoring an image to when Ghost was working properly. But you mentioned...

honzai_10 wrote on Jul 11th, 2010 at 5:19pm:
I'm half afraid my system will croak.

So before restoring a Ghost image I'd make a current backup with Image for DOS. There is a 30 day trial. IFD is one of my favourite apps.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-dos.htm

IP Logged

honzai_10
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 6:01pm

Yup. I'll git er done. Thanks for the links; I d/l some apps. I haven't had to do any kind of serious changes in quite some time. I've fixed other peoples systems including Macs, but I'm just a guy who did a lot of research after too many BSOD in 95! (It's my computer dammit!Angry ) Might be time for a clean reinstall, but before I resort to that...

Honzai_10

IP Logged

honzai_10
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 10:23pm

Nyet. Nein. Nada. Rebooted to newly created Image for DOS recovery CD, made a backup of the system drive, used the Norton Removal Tool in Safe Mode, ran RegSupremePro for registry cleanup, and ran the Norton Ghost v9 installation disk. Rebooted and was prompted for entry of license key. Did so and re-registered the app. Registered to opt-out of email offers. Of course, the next Symantec web message was that it could take as long as 8 - 10 weeks to process my opt-out request. Imagine that! I don't have use of their application, but I'll get their spam! Angry I'll just add it to my junk email filters. Crimeny! Ok, I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

TIA,

Honzai_10

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 10:36pm

@
honzai_10

I guess it's time to restore a good Ghost image. At least with the IFD image you can get back to today's setup if need be.

Concerning Registry Cleaners, I keep reading of problems with them. I think the best registry cleaner is None.

http://www.whatthetech.com/2007/11/25/do-i-need-a-registry-cleaner/

IP Logged

honzai_10
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 11:47pm

I think I have probably over done the registry cleaner routine. I'll stick to CCleaner basic cleaners and forget the rest. Good info from your link at whattheheck.com. Poked around their site a bit. (Maybe create my own batch file for temp file cleaning.) Do you like Ghost v15 ? I do appreciate your support. Probably would have received little from Symantec.

Regards,

Honzai_10

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 12:42am

honzai_10 wrote on Jul 11th, 2010 at 11:47pm:
Do you like Ghost v15 

I've got it on one computer. You need it for Win7 but for what most folks do generally, Ghost 9 is fine.

I prefer the TeraByte products. IFD, IFW, IFL, etc. They are a lot of fun to use and can be automated easily. My latest automation is to double click a batch file on my son's computer and walk away. His computer restarts into IFL, network connects to my computer and restores an image stored on my computer to his OS partition. When I return the restored OS is loaded on his computer and I'm looking at the desktop. You can't do that with Ghost.

Edit.... I have Gigabit networking but IFL can do the automated restore over a wireless network. Naturally at a much reduced speed.

IP Logged

honzai_10
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 8:04am

When it really matters, simple apps do the job. I almost did a clone with XXCopy once, but lacked the experience and extra machine for practice. Too much at stake at the time for failure. I like what I see on TeraByte. IFD did a nice job and it was quick. Might just stay with that since it does differential bkips. I've used BartPE and BootIt before for W98SE. Where can I get batch files for what you described? I have used a lot of stuff that Fred Langa, Black Viper, Steve Gibson, and MSVPs have recommended, but it has been a while since I perused their sites. I have a ton of stuff saved to archived folders, but newer versions are probably out. This is all a sort of hobby and even extra money at times, but I'm a Nursing Student and work in a hospital unit. I'm the department's SuperUser and fix minor computer issues, the point man for reporting big problems to IS, and help the noob nursing staff (as well as care for patients.) It's fun and keeps me sharp. I will probably go into some sub-department in IS as a trainer for RNs. Gotta be an RN first. Good money in the right area. Later.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 3:36pm

I use IFW to create my images. There is a scheduler in the app or you can write your own batch files. TeraByte has batch files for download as well. I use IFD and IFL for automated restores. This web page is full of interesting ways to use TeraByte software...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

A few days ago I restored an image taken from one Dell Optiplex computer to another Optiplex but a different model number. They were similar but obviously not identical as the target Optiplex wouldn't load into Windows. It kept restarting about 15 seconds after powering on. I used TBOSDT to install IDE storage drivers and Windows loaded on the next cycle. TBOSDT is an intriguing app.

IP Logged

honzai_10
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 1:23am

I bought Ghost v15 from Newegg for 29.95. Got it yesterday and installed it. It works well. Did a backup and browsed files and folders of the previous version. I'll run independent IMF backups just in case. Interesting error message was displayed when LiveUPdate ran at reboot after installation; basically, it could not update by the usual methods due to their server's IP address being found in my HOSTS file. I keep it updated regularly with MSMVP's HOSTS file and keep the read-only setting locked from within Spybot S&D. Hmmmm..., now how did tha entry get there? I probably should have run my settings recovery from within SpywareBlaster. I appreciate your help Brian. It was a relief to get such quick responses. I have basically set up my system for set-and-forget, but it helps to stay boned up on emergency operations and fail-safes. (It's always something...)  Roll Eyes Ta-Ta.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 1:32am

Brian wrote on Jul 12th, 2010 at 12:42am:
My latest automation is to double click a batch file on my son's computer and walk away. His computer restarts into IFL, network connects to my computer and restores an image stored on my computer to his OS partition. When I return the restored OS is loaded on his computer and I'm looking at the desktop.

An improvement. I don't have to enter his room to do a restore. I can initiate the restore from a batch file on my computer. He says I'm getting lazy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print