Send Topic Print
Need some PC help (Read 4109 times)
Mac guy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Need some PC help
Jul 11th, 2010 at 2:33pm

My GFs computer is a dell dimension xps gen5, 5 years old
500gb HD, never been reformatted and runs very slow and sluggish. I am thinking a re format will help matters and clean up some of the errors and sluggishness.

We just installed Ghost v15 and are in the process of running the disc clone now to a 2TB backup. The goal here is to wipe the original 500gb drive and re format it and then boot to the cloned drive (the 2 TB) and run ghost to clone the system back on the original 500.

Question: is this smart and will clean up errors and sluggishness?

Or is it better to: 
Slowly re installing the apps on the original drive but until she locates the install discs, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc etc and the licenses she will have to boot to  the cloned disc.

If the 500 is reformatted with no apps on it will we have to boot into the ghosted copy to get to her apps?  How do we change the boot drive - is that via the Bios? 

Dos this sound right?

Thanks for any help. I am a mac person and have not worked in Windows in years and have forgotten most of it

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Need some PC help
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 4:08pm

@
Mac guy

Mac guy wrote on Jul 11th, 2010 at 2:33pm:
in the process of running the disc clone now to a 2TB backup

I'm not sure what you are doing. Are you creating an image (recovery point) or using Copy Wipe? (Correction... I meant Copy Drive)

Can you look in Disk Management? What partitions are present? You may have a recovery partition.

How much RAM is installed? In Task Manager, Performance tab, what is the CPU Usage and PF Usage when the computer isn't doing anything?

Have you checked for malware, uninstalled un-necessary apps, defragmented the OS partition and the pagefile. How much Free Space is in the WinXP partition.? What is the size of the WinXP partition?

IP Logged

Mac guy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 4:56pm

Basically. copying the c drive to another disc. Then want to wipe the c drive and re install XP. Need to be able to boot to the cloned disc while we re install the apps on the c drive

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 5:05pm

@
Mac guy

Mac guy wrote on Jul 11th, 2010 at 4:56pm:
copying the c drive to another disc

Are you using "Copy Drive"? I have to pin you down on terminology. (I just noticed an error in my previous post. I meant Copy Drive.)

There are issues with Copy Drive if you do it incorrectly. Once I know what you are doing I can ask more questions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print