Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Big problem, advice needed. (Read 59009 times)
Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Re: Big problem, advice needed.
Reply #75 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 3:57pm

Brian wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 3:14pm:
Mr Moose wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 1:11pm:
Is it possible to create a image of my drive, that when restored, would bring it back to its current dual boot configuration, with BING, Win7, XP all in place just as it is right now?

Not with Ghost 15 but yes with IFW, IFD and IFL. These apps are available  from TeraByte Unlimited. You can buy them in a "Bundle" with BING.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

I have a test computer with several images of the whole HD. One image contains two WinXPs, Win7, Ubuntu, DOS, Data and BING. After restoring the image to a blank HD, everything works.

Brian,

To bad Ghost 15 can't do that, but I paid for it, so Ghost it will be.
I'll just set up a weekly schedule for both OS's with Ghost 15 and be done with it.
I will test the first image, I'll just change out HD0 with the other 1 TB drive, and see if it boots, if it does, I'm good to go.
The only reason I'm going to do this, is the fact that we didn't try to recover Win7 from a saved recovery point, and I can change out the drive faster than I can edit BING, which is already setup and good to go anyway.
Again Thanks.

Bill.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #76 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 4:11pm

Bill,

No problems. Ghost 15 should be able to image and restore BING although I haven't tried it. Even if it can't, if there is a next time, you should be able to install and configure BING in a few minutes.

If you want to change "Win7_paste" in the Identity field of the Edit Menu Item to a more friendly name, go ahead. It is just a name. BING will still work.

If you want to test your Ghost images you could restore them to Free Space on HD 0 and set up a temporary triple boot. Then delete the restored partition. As you are limiting Primaries you can only have 4 primary partitions on each HD. But this doesn't mean you can't restore your images to another HD for testing purposes although restoring to HD 0 is the most sensible way to test.

Restoring one of your old Win7 recovery points (images) would be an interesting exercise. After confirming Win7 works, delete the partition.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #77 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 4:25pm

Brian,

That's a good idea, a little more practice with BING wouldn't hurt either.
I'll report back.

Bill.

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #78 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 5:56pm

Brian,

I had no problem restoring the recovery point that I made with Ghost 15 four days ago.
I didn't have my watch, but counting the seconds, it took a little over 3 minuets for Win7 to boot.
It did the same thing as before, the color dots came together to make 4 box's that pulsated back and forth in brightness. 
I wounder what's up with that delay?
Yet, when I boot directly from the Cloned drive (HD0) there was no delay at all.
In BING what does ticking the swap box do? I need to read up on BING, I haven't even looked, but is there a manual?
I would have to say that this behavior may very well be unique to my situation, there just isn't any documentation about it anywhere on the net, but I did read somewhere that you needed to wait.
Anyway, I'm sure glad I waited, or I'd be reinstalling everything by now.

Bill.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #79 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 6:25pm

Bill,

Good work. I've no ideas about the delay. I have not seen it.

There is a userguide for BING in the zip you downloaded. "Swap" is for booting an OS that isn't on HD 0. It makes the BIOS think the HD is HD 0.

Just for general information, you can create an Extended partition and you can restore as many OS images into the free space in that partition as will fit. BING will boot them without any issues. It takes care of the hidden sectors.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/index.htm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print