Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 9 restore question to a different hard drive maker (Read 6018 times)
bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Norton Ghost 9 restore question to a different hard drive maker
Jul 29th, 2010 at 3:17pm

I have a general backup and restore question.
Assume I have a Western Digital hard drive in my computer (as a Master). I run Win2k with all the patches.
Also assume that I have a second hard drive (it doesn't matter who this one is made by) in my computer as a Slave. This second drive has no OS on it, it is just used for storing a Ghost image of the Master hard drive that I make once a month.
Now assume that I have a catastrophic failure of the main hard drive (Western Digital).
I just happen to have an extra hard drive laying around that is a Seagate. Will there be any Windows problems when I restore the image backup to the Seagate? (I would, of course, make the Seagate a Master, then restore the Ghost image from the backup drive.)
Is there any concern that when I restore the image to the Seagate Drive, that when I boot up with the Seagate drive as my main drive (Master) that Windows would look at this different hard drive (remember it was a WD now it is a Seagate) and have any issues?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Norton Ghost 9 restore question to a different hard drive maker
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 3:49pm

@
bigdawg

No problems at all. You can use any brand of HD and any size you like. You can even restore an image taken from an IDE HD to a SATA HD. (There are a few tricks needed to install the SATA drivers)

Ghost 9 has been my favourite Ghost.

IP Logged

bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 5:34pm

Thanks for the reply. I was told that in some instances Windows might change the drive letter. Can I change it back to the correct drive letter...in this case C:\ in Drive Management?
You say you like 9. I use to use it until I upgraded to XP Pro, then it became unstable so I switched to Ghost 14 which seems to work just fine. I don't like the terminology of restore point instead of drive image and I don't like having to delete an old restore point in the program if I happen to delete a restore point on my back up drive, but other than that it seems fine.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 5:47pm

bigdawg wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 5:34pm:
I don't like the terminology of restore point instead of drive image and I don't like having to delete an old restore point in the program if I happen to delete a restore point on my back up drive, 

Same here.

bigdawg wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 5:34pm:
I was told that in some instances Windows might change the drive letter

Doing what you propose will not produce drive letter issues. The restored OS will have the same drive letter as the source OS. Performing Copy Drive incorrectly can lead to drive letter issues. The typical mistake is cloning into a partition with a drive letter. The clone will not load into Windows without being "fixed".

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

IP Logged

bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:36pm

Would it matter if the original hard drive was still using FAT32 and the backup drive is using NTFS?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:33pm

@
bigdawg

No, it doesn't matter. Any target partition present will be deleted before the image is restored. So if you imaged a FAT32 partition and restored it to a NTFS partition, the restored result will be a FAT32 partition.

Edit... I didn't answer your question. The answer is, "No, it doesn't matter".

IP Logged

bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 10:01pm

Thanks! 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print