Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making a SSD Ghost copy (Read 8569 times)
geekinline
N00b

I Love Radified!

India

Making a SSD Ghost copy
Jul 30th, 2010 at 10:57pm

Hi.I have a SSD with Win 95 on it.Now I have to make a duplicate copy of the same.I was told this process is called ghosting.I need advise on how this should be done.A step by step solution will be helpful.The SSD is of 1 Gb capacity and of pretec make.

Thanks in advance for your time and advise.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Making a SSD Ghost copy
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:04pm

@
geekinline

SSD and Win95. That is an unusual combination.

I'd use CopyWipe for DOS. It is very easy. Use F6 to identify your drives as outlined in the userguide. Make sure you don't let the new drive boot while the old drive is in the computer. Remove the new drive after the copy has completed.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

IP Logged

geekinline
N00b

I Love Radified!

India

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 1:37am

Thanks Brian.Looks like something Iam looking for.
1. Iam wondering about IDE.What does it mean.
2. Is their any risk of losing of the data in the working disk?
3. How do I make sure that the new drive does not boot when the old drive is in the computer.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 2:22am

@
geekinline

I should have asked, why do you want to copy your SSD? Our advice may be different if your reason for copying is not what we expect.

IP Logged

geekinline
N00b

I Love Radified!

India

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 3:01am

This SSD is part of a compact portable computer.I want to have a duplicate copy of the SSD so that I can replace the faulty SSD,if it goes wrong with the new one.I hope this helps get an idea.Do let me know if you need any further details,I will be glad to discuss,if it helps in getting a better solution.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 4:14am

Then I think you need to have images rather than a clone. Very few people would want to use a cloned HD as a backup. See the reasons in Dan Goodell's post...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1132968474;start=7#7

In addition, you can store your images on a conventional HD and put your spare SSD to a better use than just sitting around with an outdated cloned OS that may never be used.

See....What is the difference between an "image" and a "clone"?

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#note14

Do you have any imaging/cloning software?

IP Logged

geekinline
N00b

I Love Radified!

India

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 4:55am

Thats an interesting and useful post by Dan Goodell.Now that things are starting to become clear to me.I think I need a clone as I need a duplicate copy of the existing SSD immediately  and I need a image as well for future.

"Dan Gooding:...Also, a clone doesn't always work just by swapping the drives alone, but often requires some degree of repair to get the clone disk up and running. ".........What are the additional steps to be done.

I dont have any imaging/cloning software.I will grateful if you can guide/direct me for a step by step approach for this purpose.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 6:32am

geekinline wrote on Jul 31st, 2010 at 4:55am:
I think I need a clone as I need a duplicate copy of the existing SSD immediately 

I disagree. You need an image immediately. You don't need a clone at all.

I suggest downloading Image for Windows. There is a 30 day trial and the userguide is very helpful. IFW is one of the easiest imaging apps to use.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

Create an image of your OS partition. writing the  image to an external HD. How many partitions do you have on the SSD?

IP Logged

geekinline
N00b

I Love Radified!

India

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 10:10am

Im sorry Brain,but it isnt clear for me,How I can create a duplicate copy without a making a clone .Excuse me if this sounds a silly question,but its out of ignorance.

The SSD has only one partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 4:41pm

geekinline wrote on Jul 31st, 2010 at 10:10am:
How I can create a duplicate copy without a making a clone

I'm just saying you need a backup image and not a clone (duplicate copy). As mentioned above, clones are for upgrading to a larger HD, not for use as a backup. But if you still want to create a clone see Reply #1.

The clone/image terminology is difficult at first and I understand why you are asking the questions. That's fine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print