Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 and FAT32 issue (Read 4355 times)
bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Ghost 9 and FAT32 issue
Aug 5th, 2010 at 1:01pm

I have an old 20gig drive (FAT32) that I want to create either a backup image or clone.
I have two additional hard drives, 60 & 80 gigs. My idea was to create an image on the 60gig drive and then to be sure that it worked OK, try to restore the image to the 80gig drive. If all went well then I would retire the 20gig drive.
The image creation when fine according to Ghost, but when I tried a Restore to the 80gig, it said the file was bad and the destination wasn't good. (not exact words). So I tried a clone to the 60gig from the 20gig and it said it went well also. When I tried to boot with the 60 gig drive it said that some windows files were missing like NTOKSRNL.exe.
Bottom line, is it not possible to create either an image or clone to a drive that is 60gig or larger if the image was save in FAT32 instead of NTFS?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 9 and FAT32 issue
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 4:48pm

@
bigdawg

Just a few questions.

Which OS are you using?
Did your image Verify OK when it was created?
Did you check the destination HD for errors when you used Ghost?
How many partitions are on the 20 GB HD? More than one?
Does the 80 GB HD show as 80 GB in the BIOS?
When you did Copy Drive from the 20 to the 80 GB HD, did you create a partition on the 80 GB HD prior to using Ghost?
When you restored the image from the 60 to the 80 GB HD, did you create a partition on the 80 GB HD prior to restoring the image?
How much Free Space is in the OS of the 20 GB HD?
How large is the image?

IP Logged

bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 7:46pm

Which OS are you using? Win2k
Did your image Verify OK when it was created? yes
Did you check the destination HD for errors when you used Ghost? I checked prior with Symantec...nothing.
How many partitions are on the 20 GB HD? More than one? Just one.
Does the 80 GB HD show as 80 GB in the BIOS? Yes
When you did Copy Drive from the 20 to the 80 GB HD, did you create a partition on the 80 GB HD prior to using Ghost? No
When you restored the image from the 60 to the 80 GB HD, did you create a partition on the 80 GB HD prior to restoring the image? No
How much Free Space is in the OS of the 20 GB HD? 9 gigs
How large is the image? 7gigs

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 9:07pm

@
bigdawg

That looks good. I'd have expected it to work. Weird.

Do you have the SP4 update for Win2K?

Did you try booting the 80 GB HD as the only HD in the computer. Jumpered as master of course?

Would you like to try this test?
Install the 80 GB HD as a slave. From Disk Management, create 2 partitions, roughly 37 GB each. Now delete the first partition so that Win2K sees unallocated free space for its future target.
Create a new image of Win2K writing the image to the only partition on the 80 GB HD. Any errors noted?
Remove the 20 GB HD from the computer and jumper the 80 GB HD as a master. (single HD)
Boot from the Ghost CD and restore the image to the unallocated free space. Any errors noted?
Try to boot Win2K.

Again, I'd expect no problems.

IP Logged

bigdawg
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 9:58pm

I wonder if it has anything to do with FAT32? Can FAT32 see and use hard drives that are 60 or 80 gigs?
The last time I tried the image...again, it was validated by Ghost. It went through the restoration process, or so I thought. When it tried to boot up after the completion of the restore, I got the same Ntoskrnl.exe error message. I re-attached the 20 gig (master) with the supposedly Restored drive as a slave and when I got to My Computer, the Restored drive was completely empty...as if nothing was actually written to it??
Unfortunately this is my son's computer and he leaves tomorrow to go back home so I won't have any more time to work with it. Frustrating.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print