Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2002 (Read 19337 times)
frog
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost 2002
Aug 18th, 2010 at 1:22pm

I have been using Ghost 2002 on floppy for years.  I usually connect backup HD manually to opened computer and when finished cloning disconnect it and put it in a safe place.  It was IDE to IDE.

New computer does not have ability to connect or use floppy, have SATA primary and intend to use IDE for clone.  Wanted to make a bootable cd with Ghost on it.  The instructions said Ghost 2003, the 2002 that I have has the file GhostPE.exe not Ghost.exe.  Also, I have Nero 5.5 and 7 not 6.xx.  Does anyone have instructions to accomplish a bootable cd with Ghost 2002?  The IDE HD is in a USB enclosure.  Can I clone a SATA to a USB IDE HD??

Thanks,
frog

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 2002
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 3:10pm

@
frog

I thought ghostPE.exe was the Windows version and not the DOS version. But your file runs from a DOS floppy? If you double click ghostPE.exe in Windows, does a Ghost GUI open?

What is the file size of ghostPE.exe?

I know you have been cloning HDs for years but why do you prefer cloning over image creation? Or is your definition of a clone different from mine?

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#note14

Edit.... I just discovered ghostPE.exe in Ghost 2002 is a DOS file. Interesting.

IP Logged

frog
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 8:11pm

Brian,

Thanks for taking the time.  The ghostPE.exe file is 618 kb and as you know will not run in win xp.  For me, when I have a HD failure instead of having to play with restore and other things I just take two minutes to change drives.  The cloned drive is identical and boots up as if it were the same minus any updated files.  Maybe I should think about imaging?  I am trying to make a bootable cd with ghost but only have Nero 5.5 and 7.  Can't find floopy disc emulation (1.44 MB) can't find advanced settings like Load Segent: 0x7c0, Sector Count 1.  Can find file system--Joliet.  Can't find read only disc or mode 1 can find finalize disc.  Any ideas?? 

frog

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 8:16pm

@
frog

I'm sure we will get there. One way or another. Have you been following NightOwl's tutorial?

http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/bootcdintro.html

Edit... Would a bootable USB flash drive (with Ghost) be useful too?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 8:32pm

You have a floppy drive so here is the easy way to do it...

Download imgflpyd and mkbiso from here…

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm

Put them in a folder. Put this batch file in the same folder.

Quote:
REM utility to automate boot cd creation called BOOTCD
echo.
@ECHO OFF
set path=C:\Program Files\ImgBurn
COLOR 0A
CLS
echo STARTING BOOTCD
echo.
echo insert BOOTABLE floppy disc with all desired files
echo.
echo also insert CD disc
echo.
pause
if exist cd.iso (DEL cd.iso)
if exist floppy.IMG (DEL floppy.IMG)
IMGFLPYD.EXE A: floppy.IMG
MKBISO.EXE cd.ISO floppy.IMG
ImgBurn.exe /mode write /speed auto /erase /start /src cd.ISO /dest Y: /verify yes /eject yes /close
exit

The ImgBurn line may wrap. It is one line. It should finish...

/verify yes /eject yes /close

Download and install ImgBurn.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Now, double click the batch file and your bootable CD will be created. Success?

IP Logged

frog
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 9:08pm

I think I did what you said.  When I click on the bat file I get:
Starting BOOTCD, insert BOOTABLE floppy disc with all desired files, also insert cd disc, press any key to continue-

It says at least one floppy drive is required.  Unfortunately, the new computer has none and nothing on MB to put one in or I would use the Ghost floppy.  What's next.
Thanks.

frog

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 9:35pm

I thought you still had an old computer with a floppy drive? No? Can you borrow a computer with a floppy drive just to get the CD made?

Otherwise it is NightOwl's tutorial.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 11:02am

There're a couple of other options you might consider.  Get an external floppy drive that connects via USB like the ones at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=287&SRCC..., or download and use the free Seagate Discwizard instead of Ghost.  FYI I've used Ghost 2003 and Discwizard, and I find Discwizard exactly twice as fast as Ghost 2003 when I tested them on the same Dell laptop.

IP Logged

frog
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:15pm

Got an old computer running with a floppy drive, Brian you are a genius, got the bootable cd with ghost 2002 going.  Only problem is the mouse will not operate, no USB controller.  Can use the keyboard until just before the last process where it will not click ok with the enter key.  How do I add a USB controller?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:35pm

@
frog

Try using ctmouse.exe instead of mouse.com.

Have you tried enabling USB Legacy Support in the BIOS?

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 9:23am

I don't know if Ghost 2002 is a lot different than Ghost 2003, but in Ghost 2003 I can navigate any where I want with only the keyboard using either arrow keys of the tab key.  Try the tab key to see if it gets you to the OK button if you haven't tried it already.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 3:54pm

@
Tator

Tator wrote on Aug 20th, 2010 at 9:23am:
Try the tab key to see if it gets you to the OK button

Excellent observation.

IP Logged

frog
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 9:18pm

Replaced mouse.com with ctmouse.exe and changed the Autoexec.bat to reflect it.  The Old machine with floppy drive works fine with new bootable Ghost cd but new machine does not even using tab key.  The USB legacy is enabled.  Must be quite a difference in Ghost 2002 and 2003.  Also the Seagate/Maxtor diskwizard is overwritten by Acronis True Image Western Digital free program.  Apparently both are made by Acronis.  True image for WD is a later version and works with all Hard drive manufacturers.  I think Ghost 2002 is a lost cause on this newer system.

frog

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 9:31pm

@
frog

Being an old DOS man you might like Image for DOS. It works with the latest OS and hardware.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-dos.htm

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 9:37am

FYI there's also a work around to use Discwizard with non Seagate/Maxtor drives at http://forums.seagate.com/t5/DiscWizard-and-MaxBlast/Using-DiscWizard-MaxBlast-t... .  I've tried the work around, and it does work.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print