Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Homebrew restore partition, freeDos, and ghost (Read 30733 times)
darkwalk1980
N00b

I Love Radified!

Homebrew restore partition, freeDos, and ghost
Aug 24th, 2010 at 7:00pm

I am trying to make a custom restore partition running freeDos which upon booting, will restore a ghost image of the primary OS. I hope this will cut down the time I spend helping my father in law with his PC. But now I hit a roadblock. The ghost I have does not run under freeDos. Is there a version that works with ata hdd under dos? Thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Homebrew restore partition, freeDos, and ghost
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 8:34pm

@
darkwalk1980

Ghost works in my FreeDOS partition. Which Ghost version are you using?

I can do auto restores from MS-DOS or FreeDOS.

IP Logged

darkwalk1980
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:09pm

Thanks, Brian. I used a newer version of Ghost. I switched to 2003, and it worked like magic. Now I have a boot item "restore" in XOSL which will automatically restore an image of the OS. Hopefully this will prevent my father in law from calling me every month.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:35pm

@
darkwalk1980

Sounds great. I'm using Ghost 2003 too.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:20am

@
darkwalk1980

Could you do me a favour? I tried to setup XOSL ages ago and failed. Some pointers would be helpful.

IP Logged

darkwalk1980
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 5:43am

Brian wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:20am:
@
darkwalk1980

Could you do me a favour? I tried to setup XOSL ages ago and failed. Some pointers would be helpful.

The installer is not very user friendly. Is that where you are getting stuck?

Try this:

1. Create a small extended partition. ~60Mb?
2. Boot into DOS and run the installer
  press enter on "install XOSL"
  press enter on "install on a dedicated partition
  highlight "Drv type system"
  click on page up/page down to highlight the partition created in step 1
  click "start installation"

Let me know if you have any further problems.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 2:12pm

darkwalk1980 wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 5:43am:
highlight "Drv type system"
click on page up/page down to highlight the partition created in step 1

Excellent. Thanks. Your advice made all the difference.

I have Win7 on the computer with XOSL. The XOSL install made Win7 not bootable. I checked the BCD in BING and the entries had been wiped. We used to see this with the initial release of Ghost 15. Easy to fix (30 seconds) and now I'm in Win7. I'll add a few extra OS and play around.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 3:24pm

Interesting. I've booted Win7 and WinXP. Ubuntu wouldn't boot but that's not important.

I also found a new version, 2.1.1.6. I initially used 1.1.5. Can't see much difference.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 3:35pm

@
darkwalk1980

You might be interested in this thread. It discusses different alternatives to what you have done. Your method is an extra. It's fine.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-How-does-one-load-an-...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 6:06pm

A simple method I occasionally use is to have a DOS CD containing ghost.exe. The restore command line is in autoexec.bat. Just boot from the CD and the restore happens. No choice to make. No DOS partition or boot manager is needed.

IP Logged

darkwalk1980
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:30pm

Brian wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 3:35pm:
interested in this 

Thanks for the info.

I can't use the CD method, because I'm trying to make this dummy proof that even my computer illiterate father in law can use.  Grin

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:59pm

darkwalk1980 wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:30pm:
I'm trying to make this dummy proof

That is essential.

With the ver 2 XOSL it claims you can install from a CD. I couldn't. It gave install errors. Installing from a floppy worked fine.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 6:37am

I still have XOSL running on a few computers around here, including my wife's 6-yr old Dell which is triple-booting Win7, XP, and a DOS maintenance partition.

In contrast to darkwalk1980's installation method, I've always found it more convenient to install XOSL on a DOS partition instead of a dedicated partition.  That way, the same partition can also be used for other DOS maintenance utilities.

My technique starts with creating a DOS-bootable FAT16 partition.  But it's been years since I've installed XOSL from floppy or CD, though--I copy the XOSL installation files into a subdirectory on the DOS partition, then boot the DOS partition and run the XOSL install from there.  The sequence is "Install on a DOS drive", "Install on drive C", change both RPM and SBM to "No", then "Start installation".  Having the installation files on the hard drive is also a convenience if/when it's necessary to reinstall/reactivate after something messes up the MBR.

It's been years since I delved into the XOSL requirements, but IIRC the DOS partition has to be FAT16.  That puts a limit on the partition size of at least 32MB, since smaller partitions become formatted as FAT12 instead of FAT16.

Also, ISTR that XOSL could not directly boot linux, but had to chain through lilo or grub.  That means you can't let linux install the bootloader in the MBR, or else the XOSL install will overwrite it.  I used to run Slackware linux from XOSL with lilo in linux root, not the MBR.  I haven't tried a XOSL+Ubuntu combination, but in its effort to simplify things it wouldn't surprise me if Ubuntu simply puts grub in the MBR without giving you a choice.

FWIW, I believe 1.1.5 was the final version by Geurt Vos, XOSL's original author.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 7:40am

Dan,

Thanks for that. I had tried what I previously thought was your method and failed. OK today. I installed XOSL (ver 1 and also 2) into a 32 MB FAT active primary partition.

I'll try Ubuntu with XOSL later. It was a restored image of a partition that had been booted by BING so grub was in the boot sector. When you install Ubuntu in association with BING you certainly have to make sure grub doesn't install to the MBR or BING stops working.

IP Logged

darkwalk1980
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 10:03am

In my experience, Ubuntu does install grub by default.

Dan Goodell wrote on Aug 26th, 2010 at 6:37am:
In contrast to darkwalk1980's installation method, I've always found it more convenient to install XOSL on a DOS partition instead of a dedicated partition.That way, the same partition can also be used for other DOS maintenance utilities.

What do you mean by DOS partition vs dedicated partition? I have mine installed on a 1Gb extended partition formatted to fat32. Is this the same as what you have?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print