Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What's current status of Build 793 and use with SATA HDDs? (Read 18763 times)
voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Re: What's current status of Build 793 and use with SATA HDDs?
Reply #15 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 7:44am

The only Symantec app I have is my genuine Ghost 2003. When I've updated it (some years ago now), I've done it incrementally, using Symantec's archive server. As you and others have confirmed, it normally requires two iterations to arrive at Build 793. At present, I've just the one bootdisk (floppy), which I've used a fair amount and which I guess will eventually develop errors.

As I see it, I've a distinct choice at the moment for ending up with some Ghost bootdisks (floppies) that I'll be able to use over a number of years into the future - either (i) get some new, good-quality floppies and make several bootdisks from my Ghost 2003 Build 793 on this current-and-soon-to-be-ditched machine, or (ii) when I've built my new machine (still using WinXP), reinstall Ghost 2003 on it, update it to 793, then make some new bootdisks. Clearly, the more sensible thing to do would be for me to make the new bootdisks now. With (i), I wouldn't then need to even install Ghost 2003 on the new machine.

If I use one of the Ghost switches when making the bootdisk, I can even make it compatible with Win7, if later I decided to upgrade to that OS. I'm presuming that that switch is universal and isn't specific to Win7.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #16 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 8:12am

Quote:
If I use one of the Ghost switches when making the bootdisk, I can even make it compatible with Win7, if later I decided to upgrade to that OS. I'm presuming that that switch is universal and isn't specific to Win7.

I've used the Ghost floppy with the "-fdsp" switch on Windows 7 as well as on Windows XP. In both cases, the created image has been restored to the same, unaltered hard disk/partition.

I have not tried restoring an Image, created Disk-to-Image, neither to a new "identical" hard disk nor to a different/altered hard disk.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #17 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:45am

What I'll do is make a few copies of two new versions of the bootdisk - some with the switch (to use specifically with Win7) and some without the switch (to use with WinXP 32-bit).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print