Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Help With Network Booting Ghost 2003 (Read 18525 times)
jeffmspb
N00b

I Love Radified!

Need Help With Network Booting Ghost 2003
Sep 29th, 2010 at 4:46pm

Greetings,

I am very new here.

I have created a TFTP server that is allowing me to connect new computers to my network and pxe boot into a menu. from there I have several floppy images for the client to select.

here is where i am stuck.

when I launch ghost 2003 I cannot properly map the network drive which contains my ghost images. I have tried reading several (hours worth) of posts online until I found this board and figured I would ask you guys.

Here is where I think i am going wrong...

autoexec.bat

@echo off

SET TZ=GHO+06:00

prompt $p$g

\net\netbind.com

if exist MOUSE.COM MOUSE.COM

echo Loading...

\NET\NET START
\NET\NET.EXE USE Z: \\Service-pc\ghostimages
\NET\NET.EXE US

CD \GHOST

GHOST.EXE -clone,mode=load,src=z:\,

Command.com

net.exe
LASTDRIVE = Z

The computer which has the ghost images on it has a share full read write execute with no security what so ever. It is a winxp pro machine called "Service-pc" and the drive is partitioned into 2 volumes. One volume is called "ghostimages" and I would like the ghost clients to start in this directory.

Right now when I try I get into ghost fine, however I get error

"clone DST UNKNOWN 447"

any help would be appreciated. My guess is that my syntax is wrong somewhere as I have never done this before.

when I run the ghost without trying to map the network drive I can get into the program fine but can only look in the A: for ghost files as there is no drive mapped, so I think I have everything right but the mapping...

thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Need Help With Network Booting Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 6:22pm

@
jeffmspb

I don't use DOS Ghost much. Many in test situations. Is this boot disk of any use to you? I've found it useful for restoring images to remote computers in my home. I use it with Image for DOS but I've used it a few times with Ghost 2003.

http://www.netbootdisk.com/

IP Logged

jeffmspb
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 10:09am

ya ive tried that disk on many occasions. works fine for old computers but anything modern I have around will not network boot from it. they will boot from floppy and ghost fine but not network PXE. the only machine i have been able to network boot and then ghost with it is intel atoms. any other newer (within the last year) intel boards i have that I  try or even asus boards dont seem to work with that disk when i netboot, they just freeze right before ghost loads.

IP Logged

jeffmspb
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 10:10am

here is my newest autoexec.bat, still does not load network drive but loads ghost ok

@echo off

prompt $p$g

echo Loading...

net use z: \\Service-pc\ghostimages
z:

CD \GHOST

ghost.exe -auto

any help is appreciated.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 12:27pm

@
jeffmspb

Quote:
I have created a TFTP server that is allowing me to connect new computers to my network and pxe boot into a menu. from there I have several floppy images for the client to select.

A disclaimer first--I'm not an expert on networking and have little physical experience using Ghost over a network--most of what I know is from what I've read here and elsewhere--but, I have not actually used networking to any great extent.  So, I'm not sure I understand what exactly is meant by your above statement.

But, let me ask this--does the above mean you can access a remote computer hooked up to your system and boot that remote system to DOS from those *several floppy images*--so the client machine can be a system with no OS or otherwise formatted HDD--it can boot as if you loaded a floppy drive boot disk (or bootable CD/DVD) ?

Quote:
ya ive tried that disk on many occasions. works fine for old computers but anything modern will not network boot from it.

Their latest release is v6.5 released on May 23, 2010!  So, it appears to be still actively supported and updated.  If that generic disk created by folks who probably know an awful lot about booting from a networking boot disk doesn't work, seems difficult to expect a homemade network boot disk will work any better!?

When I played around with networking, it was two systems hooked up to a router.  Each system had to be booted from a boot disk or disc with appropriate network drivers for the NIC installed.  The router did the IP address assigning automatically, and once booted and Ghost loaded, I had to select if the system was the source or the destination device (Master or Slave I think is the terminology that was used--this if from vague old memory of 4-5 years ago!)

A couple things--

1.  I was using systems that already had Windows loaded which used the NIC for access to the Web, etc.--I discovered, after loosing most of my hair, that unless I physically powered down my systems (they were older systems--maybe newer ones don't have this issue any more--one can only hope!) and cold booted, the NIC would not properly reset it's use of resources that were assigned while in Windows--so the IRQ and I/O settings would not be reset to the values used by the DOS networking drivers that they attempted to assign during boot!--the NIC retained the Windows settings unless there was a cold boot--so the DOS driver could never successfully access the NIC in DOS--always got an error message about NIC not found no matter what boot disk I tried!  When I was experimenting I was always in Windows first and then rebooting once I placed a floppy boot disk in the drive--never powering down.  Is that a possible issue with your setup?

2.  Do you have the ability to boot the remote client with a floppy or boot optical disc?  Will it find and establish a network connection from a physical boot disk/disc (with the proper DOS NIC driver(s), as opposed to attempting a remote boot (if that's what your above statement implies)?  Basically, trying to make things as simple and basic as possible initially before going on to more complex setup.

If you use the network boot disk mentioned above by Brian to physically boot the system from the client directly, and you can establish a network connection, then probably you can work out the bugs of the other issues you are having.

Quote:
when I launch ghost 2003

This might be an issue also:

1.  Ghost 2003 is a *consumer=retail* version of Ghost, and may not be up to the standards needed for a Corporate level use!

2.  A license is required for each system on which Ghost 2003 is installed to, or is used to create or restore/install an Ghost image on--proceed at your/your company's own risk!

Quote:
My guess is that my syntax is wrong somewhere as I have never done this before.

Yes, there appears to several issues:

Quote:
Command.com

net.exe
LASTDRIVE = Z

I presume *Command.com* should be *Config.sys* for the proper DOS boot files.  Below is a resource on creating a bootable optical disc to run Ghost 8.x on a network--it also works fine for Ghost 2003.  I don't recognize your *net.exe* program--I'm not saying it doesn't belong there, just not something I've seen before.  But, that program is loaded in *autoexec.bat* as well, with a *US* switch (?) at the end--and I don't know what that means either.

How to Create a Ghost 8.0 Network Boot CD

Here's the *config.sys* used by the above resource:

Quote:
Next you will need to edit the CONFIG.SYS file on the first floppy so that it looks like this:

DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:mscd001
DEVICE=\\net\\protman.dos /I:\\net
DEVICE=\\net\\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\\net\\EL90x.dos
LASTDRIVE=Z

Looks quite a bit different from yours!

Quote:

"clone DST UNKNOWN 447"

There should have been a number of other errors during the loading of other lines in the *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat*.  During initial boot of a system to DOS, you can press the F8 function key just as the system says it's loading DOS.  You can then select a step-by-step loading of the boot files lines--it stops after each line and you can read any error messages that are generated by the line just loaded.

I'm out of room for max thread size--so will continue in next post.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 1:57pm

@
jeffmspb

Continuing from my last post:

From your *autoexec.bat* file:

Quote:
GHOST.EXE -clone,mode=load,src=z:\,

Quote:

"clone DST UNKNOWN 447"

That error occurs because you are using an incomplete command line for Ghost--it does not include a *destination* (dst=xxxxx).  Here are some resources for cloning command lines:

You can find examples of command lines at the end of this FAQ:  Switches: Cloning
And, there are examples in the various Ghost User Guides--see page 166, *Cloning Switch Useage*, in the Ghost 2003 Guide, as well as page 170, *Examples of cloning switch useage*:  Ghost 2003 User Guide, page 166

You can also find information on Networking boot disks on page 79, 84, 85, and 86 of the above Ghost 2003 User Guide.

Quote:
It is a winxp pro machine called "Service-pc" and the drive is partitioned into 2 volumes. One volume is called "ghostimages" and I would like the ghost clients to start in this directory.

Not sure what you mean here.  Ghost *starts* from wherever it is located and is specified by the command line(s) in *autoexec.bat*--but, it has to be a DOS file system (i.e. FAT) for where Ghost 2003's *ghost.exe* file is located in order for Ghost to load (start).

If you mean you want Ghost to *look* for image files starting in that directory, well you have to manually use the drop down boxes to navigate there.  If you want to *automate* the process, then you can use the Ghost command lines for cloning--but, you have to specify the entire command line and you can not stop the automated process in the middle somewhere.  You might be able to get Ghost to prompt you to press a button, or press *enter* to indicate you wish to proceed (don't use the *-sure* switch)--but, I'm not completely sure about that--experimenting would be needed.  (I always recommend doing *automated* ghost cloning testing on a test system where no harm come to the data on the system if something doesn't work right!)

Quote:
when I run the ghost without trying to map the network drive I can get into the program fine but can only look in the A: for ghost files as there is no drive mapped

So, how are you booting the client system and running ghost without the mapped drive?  *A:* indicates that the system is assuming a floppy drive--either actual or virtual as in using a bootable optical disk.

But, in your most recent post you have this *autoexec.bat* file posted:

Quote:
@echo off

prompt $p$g

echo Loading...

net use z: \\Service-pc\ghostimages

z:

CD \GHOST

ghost.exe -auto

And you state:

Quote:
here is my newest autoexec.bat, still does not load network drive but loads ghost ok

Not sure how that's working!  the *z:* line should change the DOS prompt focus from *A:* to drive *Z:* (unless you are not mentioning an error message saying *Z:* is not found--but that should halt the boot process and ask for user input--at least usually!).  So, unless you have a Z: directory that DOS finds and you have the sub-directory *Ghost* to change the DOS prompt from the root directory of Z: to the sub-directory *\Ghost* by the command line *cd \Ghost* and that sub-directory has the *ghost.exe* file in it--this shouldn't load Ghost.

Otherwise, that sub-directory should be on *A:* and the system somehow ignores the *z:* command if you are able to load Ghost without error messages.  Don't know.......!?

Other issues I'm unsure of--does the remote system have to have the drives formatted as FAT in order for DOS networking to map and assign drive letters?  Or, can Ghost 2003 access NTFS drives on a mapped remote server?  Do the drive(s) and sub-directories show up in the drop down source box?  And what is the syntax for designating the source or destination drive in a Ghost Command Line for a mapped NTFS partition if a DOS drive letter is not assigned?

If you have to map a remote server, can you even use automated Ghost command lines for cloning?  Or, do you have to manual set up only--unless you have the Corportate multicast server to work from?

The examples in the above resources do not address accessing a remote server except through the Corporate Ghost Console where sessions are defined by *@mcSESSIONNAME*:

Quote:
Create an image file of drive one to an image file being created by the multicast server with the session name SESSIONNAME without final prompt:

ghost.exe -clone,src=1,dst=@mcSESSIONNAME -sure

We could learn a lot of interesting facts if you are able to work things out, and you report back with the results!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

jeffmspb
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 3:27pm

well it seems every 5 minutes i have a new autoexec.bat so i have to bring you up to speed but first let me explain the situation again..

i have a xp pro computer. it has a shared drive called "ghostimages".

i have a ghost floppy disk from 5 years ago. If I put it in a usb FDD and then hook a client machine up to the network it will boot off the USB FDD and then connect to

\\service-pc\ghostimages directory

once there it opens a folder called "bootdisk". inside bootdisk is ghost.exe

The client PC opens up ghost, I then select the image I want stored on the \\service-pc\ghostimages directory.

then I load the image.

this works fine with almost any PC I throw at it. I can write new images, or take images from service-pc and load them onto the client.

the floppy disk was made years ago by someone I dont know. it was made using the netboot.com setup, plus a programmer put a bunch of stuff in the disk that I have no idea what it is doing (half of it is commented out, seems like fancier menus etc)

so since I dont know jack I figured I would make my own PXE server and then make my own floppy image to be loaded to the machines through a menu.

so

I have the menu. i have several floppy images on there, 1 is a diagnostic utility, the other is a formatting utility etc. they all run fine. they are just .IMG or .IMZ files

when i make a link to run the .IMG file for the disk that I use to USBFDD boot machines as mentioned above, it just freezes after declaring the mouse installed.

sooooo

after spending a week or so trying to mod the files that I use for the USB FDD boot up, I decided to make my own image.

really all I need is a floppy image that can be selected from my PXE menu.

its got to map a drive (\\service-pc\ghostimages)
and then launch ghost (\\service-pc\ghostimages\bootdisk\ghost.exe)
then when ghost opens the drive must be mapped.

so ya, need to select a floppy image from menu, the floppy image has to map a drive and then launch ghost. ghost needs access to the mapped drive so that it can select the proper image or write the proper image.

thank you for actually reading this !

IP Logged

jeffmspb
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 3:37pm

here is my current setup that I am trying to link to my PXE menu.

it is a .IMZ file. It contains:

autoexec.bat
command.com
config.sys
ibmbio.com
ibmdos.com
mouse.com
mouse.ini

now I am not sure how to edit .com files but it is my understanding that I need them all in the .IMZ file for any of this to work.
autoexec.bat now reads:

echo made it to floppy boot...

net use z: \\service-pc\ghostimages

z:

cd bootdisk

ghost.exe -noide

the config.sys

LASTDRIVE = Z

now I have no idea what I am doing wrong with the mapping. I am getting an error saying bad command or file name when it runs the net use command and nothing after boots.

I am wondering if maybe there is something wrong with command.com or the other .com files..

IP Logged

jeffmspb
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 3:42pm

its just one of those days I tell ya lol

so for the time being i am still USB FDD booting each machine 1 at a time and imaging 1 at a time, it is very tedious and slow and boring to say the least.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 5:29pm

@
jeffmspb

jeffmspb wrote on Sep 30th, 2010 at 3:42pm:
imaging 1 at a time

Just so we are on the same wavelength, do you mean creating an image or restoring an image?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 1:34pm

@
jeffmspb

jeffmspb wrote on Sep 30th, 2010 at 10:09am:
ya ive tried that disk on many occasions. works fine for old computers but anything modern I have around will not network boot from it. they will boot from floppy and ghost fine but not network PXE. 

So it is only PXE that is an issue with new computers. Using a NetBootDisk in standard fashion is fine? If that's true there is an alternative to using PXE. You can use NetBootDisk in an automated setting. No boot disk needed, running at 3 am (if you like) as a scheduled task, no user intervention. At 3 am the remote computer restarts into NetBootDisk, runs the Ghost restore and restarts into the restored OS.

IP Logged

jeffmspb
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 2:17pm

the PXE works ok for newer machines like I said I can pxe boot them to a menu and then select a floppy image.

when i say image i mean i plug in a usb FDD and then boot it up. the fdd assigns a static address to the machine, maps a network drive and then runs ghost.exe located in that same network drive. then in ghost I have a menu that allows me to either create ghost images on the files (.gho files) or image the machine I am working on from a ghost image file.

the lame part is that each machine I have to boot up, go into bios, change boot order, restart, boot from fdd which takes 1000 times longer than booting floppy image over network, then run ghost.

For the time being I have just made 10 copies of the FDD and modified the files so that each one assigns a different static IP, that way I can have 10 imaging at once.

what i want to do is terminate the entire fdd part of this procedure. so I made the PXE server which assigns machines an IP, then loads them a menu, then depending on what menu item they select loads floppy image of their selection.

everything is going good right up to the point of mapping the drive in autoexec.bat

either my syntax is wrong or I have a bad / wrong version of the .com files or I dont know what I am doing at all/

1 of these 3 is true lol

I have tried several different downloadable network boot discs now, but still cant get a setup that works properly. when I put ghost into the actual fdd image and not on the network share, I can select the IMG file off the list and boot it into ghost fine, but the drives still arent mapped.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 5:43pm

@
jeffmspb

Anything of help in this?

http://www.netbootdisk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=683

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #13 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 12:00pm

@
jeffmspb

Looks like Brian's link might have the needed solution for the *Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk*--if you try that--let us know how it works out!

To your other points:

Quote:
I am wondering if maybe there is something wrong with command.com or the other .com files..

Most likely--No!  You do not appear to loading any networking files--should be done in the *Config.sys* file and the *Autoexec.bat* files--I see reference to networking file(s) only in your *autoexec.bat*--you need something in the *config.sys* file first!

Quote:
everything is going good right up to the point of Quote:
mapping the drive in autoexec.bat

You can't *map* (or change to a shared directory in *autoexec.bat) until you establish a network connection first (in *config.sys*).  So, your *autoexec.bat* is telling the system where to *look*--but you have yet to map that location--need DOS networking files loaded in *config.sys*!

Quote:
either my syntax is wrong or I have a bad / wrong version of the .com files or I dont know what I am doing at all/

1 of these 3 is true lol

Actually, probably #1 and #3  Wink !

Quote:
i have a ghost floppy disk from 5 years ago. If I put it in a usb FDD and then hook a client machine up to the network it will boot off the USB FDD and then connect to

I presume that system and directory is a FAT file system in order to have access to the Ghost sub-directory in order to load DOS Ghost from it--correct?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 12:16pm

@
jeffmspb

Quote:
i have a xp pro computer. it has a shared drive called "ghostimages".

once there it opens a folder called "bootdisk". inside bootdisk is ghost.exe

The client PC opens up ghost, I then select the image I want stored on the \\service-pc\ghostimages directory.

then I load the image.

this works fine with almost any PC I throw at it. I can write new images, or take images from service-pc and load them onto the client.

the floppy disk was made years ago by someone I dont know. it was made using the netboot.com setup, plus a programmer put a bunch of stuff in the disk that I have no idea what it is doing (half of it is commented out, seems like fancier menus etc)

so since I dont know jack I figured I would make my own PXE server and then make my own floppy image to be loaded to the machines through a menu.

so

I have the menu. i have several floppy images on there, 1 is a diagnostic utility, the other is a formatting utility etc. they all run fine. they are just .IMG or .IMZ files

when i make a link to run the .IMG file for the disk that I use to USBFDD boot machines as mentioned above, it just freezes after declaring the mouse installed.

Quote:
it has a shared drive called "ghostimages

So, that shared drive is FAT?

Quote:
it was made using the netboot.com setup

Do you mean *Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk*--I don't find a *netboot.com* website?

Quote:
when i make a link to run the .IMG file for the disk that I use to USBFDD boot machines as mentioned above, it just freezes

If your floppy disk is from the Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk--they use a lot of compressed files and decompression to fit more data on a boot floppy than would *normally* be there (i.e. 1.44 MB)--so maybe Brian's link solves that issue.

Quote:
this works fine with almost any PC I throw at it

Hmmmm....it would be of great interest if you posted the list of files on that floppy disk, and copy and paste the contents of the *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys* files from NotePad to the forum here to see what works so well on *almost any PC*!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print