Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone seen this behavior when going partition to image? (Read 4510 times)
Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Has anyone seen this behavior when going partition to image?
Sep 29th, 2010 at 7:22pm

I have never seen this behavior before, has anyone seen this?

I was trying to use Ghost 2003 on a Dell Vostro 1500 to make an image of C onto an external Western Digital Passport USB hard drive.

Of course, I've seen many times driver issues where you cannot see the external hard drive from within Ghost.

In this case, you can clearly see both the internal and external hard drives when you are selecting the source partition.  But when I try to see the external drive I want to send the image to, it's just not there!  I see the internal NTFS drive (the source) listed as 1:1, but normally I would see 1:2 as the second (external) drive.  It's just missing.

I think I have seen cases where you had to use the arrow keys or the mouse to see items in the drop down list on the destination screen that were not visible for some reason when you hit the drop down arrow.  In this case the 1:2 is just nowhere to be found.

I tried different USB ports on the machine and reboots, the usual stuff, but I cannot figure this one out!

Anyone seen this before?

Ultimately, I used an 8gig flash drive to do the Ghost operation and that worked fine to make an image, but so far it's a no go with the external WD hard drive...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Has anyone seen this behavior when going partition to image?
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 10:48am

@
Lee B

Quote:
In this case, you can clearly see both the internal and external hard drives when you are selecting the source partition. But when I try to see the external drive I want to send the image to, it's just not there!

How are you using Ghost 2003--from its Windows interface?  Or, from a boot disk or disc in DOS?

If in DOS, what DOS USB driver are you using to mount and assign drive letters to your external USB device?

Quote:
I tried different USB ports on the machine and reboots, the usual stuff, but I cannot figure this one out!

I presume here you are saying nothing helped--got the same negative results that the external USB HDD was still not shown as a destination drive.

Quote:
I see the internal NTFS drive (the source) listed as 1:1, but normally I would see 1:2 as the second (external) drive.

How is the external USB drive formatted (is the external HDD formatted?--Ghost can *see* an unformatted partition/HDD as a source, but will not be able to write an image to a file system that's missing or not recognized?)--FAT or NTFS?  The 1:1 and 1:2 only apply to NTFS partitions--FAT partitions should have a DOS drive letter assigned.

And, it may just be an oversight when composing your post, but the internal HDD is likely 1:1, but the external HDD should be 2:1 if it's NTFS--it's a second physical drive and each physical drive will have a new number for that first number of the drive designation--so 1:2 would be the first physical drive and the second NTFS partition on that drive.

Quote:
Ultimately, I used an 8gig flash drive to do the Ghost operation and that worked fine to make an image

Again, same questions on how you were successful:

How are you using Ghost 2003--from its Windows interface?  Or, from a boot disk or disc in DOS?

If in DOS, what DOS USB driver are you using to mount and assign drive letters to your external USB device?

Most likely, there is some incompatibility/conflict between the Western external USB HDD, the on board USB Controller, BIOS support on the Dell Vostro 1500 for USB devices in DOS, and any USB DOS driver that may be loading.

The fact that you where able to use a 8 GB flash drive successfully shows that if the device is compatible with the DOS USB driver, everything can work. 

What is the file system on the flash drive?  How was the flashdrive shown in Ghost's Destination list--2.1 or a DOS drive letter?

Have you tried other external USB HDD's?  What size is the Western Digital HDD (maybe there's a size incompatibility!).  In Windows, I presume you and read and write files to the Western HDD?

As you can see--lots of potential variable that may be creating a problem--sometimes we can sort them out--other times--not so lucky!  Let us know some more details and maybe the problem will reveal itself.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:40am

I too had this problem some years ago. I was using Ghost from PC-DOS (Build 793). No matter what I tried, Ghost just simply wouldn't see the ext HDD. It was a Seagate ext drive, formatted to NTFS and partitioned. I recall posting a query about it on this forum but got nowhere with it and simply had to abandon using the ext HDD with Ghost. Writing and reading to/from it was otherwise fine. The problem simply vanished about six months later, when I replaced the Seagate ext drive with a LaCie one. So, ever since, I've been happily making partition images to my LaCie HDD. All I could conclude was that there'd been some sort of odd driver problem with the Seagate.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 10:12am

Recently had this problem creating image of an old HP Pavilion desktop.  The HP came with usb 1.1, had a usb 2.0 pci adapter, and Ghost 2003 wouldn't recognize external drive on any usb port.  Also I noticed Ghost wouldn't recognize external drive while imaging a Dell laptop unless the Dell were turned off with Ghost boot CD in CD drive, and then restart the Dell.  Selecting restart while booted to Windows with boot CD in CD drive would result in Ghost failure to recognize external drive.  You might give this a try if you haven't already. 

Finally I tried using Bart PE CD created by Seagate Discwizard Bart PE plugin that recognized the external drive but only when connected to the HP usb 1.1 ports.  FYI Discwizard was exactly twice as fast as Ghost both creating and restoring image when I tested it on the same Dell laptop, and Discwizard compression was greater requiring less space to store image.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print