Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 11.5 CD and Norton Ghost Explorer 2003? (Read 4876 times)
Lee B
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Hatboro, PA 19040

Ghost 11.5 CD and Norton Ghost Explorer 2003?
Sep 29th, 2010 at 7:27pm

Long story how this came up, but I made an image using Ghost 11.5 on a boot CD, and since I had Ghost 2003 loaded in Windows, I tried to check the image using Norton Ghost Explorer from within Ghost 2003.  I got some message saying it was not a valid image.  I know I could test the image doing a test restore, but my question is, does anyone know if you have to use the Norton Ghost Explorer version included in the Windows based 11.5 interface in order to check a Ghost 11.5 image, or if 2003 Ghost Explorer should be able to read an 11.5 image?  (or not!)

Thank You,

Lee

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 11.5 CD and Norton Ghost Explorer 2003?
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 10:11am

@
Lee B

Quote:
does anyone know if you have to use the Norton Ghost Explorer version included in the Windows based 11.5 interface in order to check a Ghost 11.5 image, or if 2003 Ghost Explorer should be able to read an 11.5 image?  (or not!)

The structure of the Ghost image file does change as newer versions of Ghost are released.  So, it's most probable that a Ghost 11.5 (which is probably 8 + years beyond when Ghost 2003 was released) image will have an incompatible structure that Ghost 2003 will choke on.

If you have Ghost Explorer from the Ghost 11.5 version, you can probably substitute that program (make sure it's the same name for the .exe file as used by Ghost 2003) for the Ghost 2003 Ghost Explorer.  The Ghost folks usually make the most recent versions backwards compatible--so it probably can read any Ghost 2003 image files--as well as any other versions.

So, just rename the Ghost 2003 Ghost Explorer with a *.old* and place the Ghost 11.5 program with the correct name (you can change it to be the same as Ghost 2003's name--the file will still execute just fine) in the same directory as the *.old* Ghost Explorer from Ghost 2003, and then Ghost 11.5's Ghost Explorer will be called when you click the appropriate button or image file.

Of course, test everything to make sure it's working as expected--you can always remove the Ghost 11.5's file and rename the Ghost 2003 back to its original name.

If you can do the above, let us know how it works out--it helps educate us all!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print