Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Errors on page when using IE 8 (Read 24467 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Errors on page when using IE 8
Reply #15 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 9:39am

@
Christer

Quote:
I have date, hours, minutes and seconds

As always--wonder why there's a difference!  I have no seconds!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #16 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 10:15am

I think it can be set in your Profile > Options.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #17 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 7:32am

NightOwl wrote on Oct 4th, 2010 at 8:42am:
At least for FireFox, it does not report the *Warning* icon and message in the *Status* line like IE 8, but if you launch the *Error Console* from the *Tools* listing on the menu bar, you get the following in the attached screen capture.

So, the errors are there, just not reported overtly.

Well, it's really a matter of degree.  First, note Firefox calls most of those "warnings".  There is only one real "error" there--the undefined javascript function.  And even then, Firefox isn't complaining about them.  Contrast that with IE, which whines, "Done, but with errors on page."

Those "scrollbar" properties are one example of the kind of noncompliance issues I was complaining about earlier.  Those are IE-specific properties that are not W3C approved.  Firefox is just saying, "I don't recognize those as valid properties, so I'm ignoring them."  Which is not only a legitimate response, it's exactly what you want a browser to do.

Unless you're willing to multiply your workload by coding different html pages for different browsers, you're stuck with embedding alternative tags and properties in your page that one browser or another won't recognize.  If you're building a table, for example, you would embed table properties that Firefox recognizes and also the corresponding properties that IE recognizes.  Yes, it makes your page non-W3C compliant if you do that, but I wouldn't call those actual errors.  You'd like each browser to act on the code meant for it, and ignore the code meant for the other browser.  You don't want a browser to complain just because it sees the code in there for the other browser, you want it to ignore it and move on.  That's what Firefox is doing.

BTW, Firefox's Error Console ignored much more that it could have reported as warnings.  I use several Firefox add-ons to help me when developing a webpage, and one of these, "HTML Validator", identifies 841 warnings on page one of this forum thread!  But again, it's a matter of degree.  HTML Validator is very strict.  Many are for empty tags, such as <font> </font> with nothing between them.  That's superfluous, so if you're the developer it's handy to be alerted, but it's harmless code so you don't want everybody's browser to go around complaining in public about your untidy code.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print