Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Making new Bootdisk: what am I doing wrong? (Read 16529 times)
OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Re: Making new Bootdisk: what am I doing wrong?
Reply #15 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 4:49pm

Since I built my first Ghost 2003 boot floppy, years ago now, I have made subsequent copies from within Windows, just using the Disk Copy app when I'd right click on the floppy disk in "My Computer".

Ideally, Disk Copy means just that, an accurate copy of the Original Disk.  If the original disk was somehow flawed, then the target disk would be similarly flawed.
First, do a full format of the new Floppy Disk to prove that it's a reliable disk.  If you're using old floppies, there is a good chance that the disk is no longer reliable.  I throw away about a hundred floppies a year, because they are just too old to be reliable any more.

Another way I've made a Ghost boot disk is to first format the floppy disk as a boot disk and then copy all my Ghost and menu files to that disk.  I believe that's how I wound up with Ghost on a Windows ME boot floppy, which I prefer over any of the other so-called Dos's.  I made that first ME boot floppy on an old computer with Windows ME on it.

Ok, once you have a reliable Ghost boot floppy, you can use that as a DOS source for the HP program that makes a USB Flash drive bootable.  The result is a Flash drive that boots to Ghost.  In my own case, it boots to a Dos menu from which I can run several utilities as well as Ghost.

Then using Nero or possibly some other CD burning program, you can use either the boot floppy or boot Flash Drive as the DOS source, from which to make a Bootable Ghost CD.

I've done all of the above, with total success.

Good Luck,
Old Casper  (the friendly Ghost)

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print