Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 tries writing to a Zip which was removed - not hard drive (Read 7798 times)
heritage
N00b

Ghost is a pain

Pawleys Island, SC

Ghost 9 tries writing to a Zip which was removed - not hard drive
Oct 6th, 2010 at 10:05pm

I installed 2 larger ATA hard drives.  One took the third (last) place on the cable which used to have a Zip drive.  Ghost 9 running from CD recognizes both hard drives correctly; specifically recognizes D: as Maxtor 80 GB.  When it reboots it says PC DOS  IOMEGA USB-DRIVE (then some copyright junk).

Apparently it tries to write to this phantom ZIP drive because everything stops forever.

Suggestions would be appreciated

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 9 tries writing to a Zip which was removed - not hard drive
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 11:16pm

@
heritage

I'd like to help but I need a lot more details to work out what you are attempting.

IP Logged

heritage
N00b

Ghost is a pain

Pawleys Island, SC

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 11:02am

Thanks for your offer.  Not sure what details would help but will certainly cooperate.  Running Ghost 9 (purchased before I realized I did not have a slot for another ATA drive so it sat around.  Finally removed the Iomega Zip drive which came with Dell Dimension 8200 and sat on the third position of the ribbon cable.)  I installed two larger ATA hard drives on C: and D:  Just want the simplest image clone of C: on D:  I choose the Basic Install; set Drive 1 to C: and Drive 2 to D:  Norton recognizes both drives, displays their manufacturer and size (WD 500 GB and Maxtor 80 GB).  I have about 40 GB on the WD so should be OK.  If I get to 8GB will replace the Maxtor.  I use advanced settings to choose USB 2 drivers and click something to start.  Norton reboots, shows PC-DOS and then the IOMEGA junk described above.  Then the computer just sits there.  Next day I restarted with power button.  Drive D: has a .gho file with 8 bytes.

I made 2 different 'boot' disks and inserted them before the reboot.  Didn't help.  Either reproduced behavior or booted to DOS 6.22 with A:> prompt (didn't know what to do from there.) 

Out of ideas.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 3:08pm

@
heritage
Quote:
Ghost 9 tries writing

But you aren't using Ghost 9.

Quote:
the third position of the ribbon cable

Ribbon cables don't have three positions.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 6:52pm

heritage wrote on Oct 7th, 2010 at 11:02am:
Drive D: has a .gho file with 8 bytes.

Heritage, I think you are using Ghost 2003 (not Ghost 9) which produces .gho files.

Brian, I'm guessing that this is how Heritage finds the 3rd position:

He is counting the first position of the cable as that one that connects to the motherboard.  The second (middle) position is normally the the slave/secondary drive, and the 3rd position (end of the cable) is usually the master/primary drive.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with Ghost 2003.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

heritage
N00b

Ghost is a pain

Pawleys Island, SC

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 3:47pm

My solution (in case anyone has the same problem)
Summary:  Ghost 9 installs and runs. It recognizes all my drives and seems to behave naturally.  When it reboots to write an image it says "PC DOS /n IOMEGA USB DRIVES ..."

{Readers can make their own choice on the other comment.  I read the title off the sealed box sent by Norton and I attached the cables in my computer).

The problems apparently is with the Iomega drivers supplied to Symantec in 2003. They are either incompatible with 2010 drivers or they were just wrong.  It was just a coincidence that I removed an old Iomega Zip drive.

The Windows GUI is hopeless.  However, I made a Ghost.exe boot disk and edited the CONFIG.SYS FILE.  The file made by Ghost had two lines:

DRIVE = usb\something /int /all
LAST DRIVE = z

The first line is the attempt to assign drive letters to USB drives.  Since I don't mind installing USB drivers if I have to, I just deleted the first line.  (DRIVE = ...)

Now Norton Ghost boots with a message about not finding drivers and proceeds as intended.

I don't intend to argue in public.  If that info is useful to someone else, fine. If not, nothing is lost except a bit of disk space.  I learned not to come here again, however.

For more details, you can read the post by Simmerheli near the bottom of the post at the URL

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/17452643/17575629.aspx#1757

I did not put in the http... not knowing if that was a no-no

Bye

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 4:34pm

@
heritage

The Ghost 9 box also contained Ghost 2003. I suspect you installed the latter. You aren't using Ghost 9.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 5:22pm

heritage wrote on Oct 8th, 2010 at 3:47pm:
The problems apparently is with the Iomega drivers supplied to Symantec in 2003. They are either incompatible with 2010 drivers or they were just wrong.

Heritage, sorry I wasn't able to help more.  As Brian said, and from what I also remember, the Ghost 2003 software was included in the Ghost 9 CD for compatability with users that had Ghost 2003 at that time.  Ghost 2003 is a DOS application, and as you discovered, you have to supply your own special drivers for newer hardware.  It's no surprise that Ghost 2003 wouldn't know about hardware devices in 2010.

However, the Ghost 2003 board here has some excellent help for people that are still using Ghost 2003, and how to add drivers for usb, newer motherboards etc.
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=general

Hope that helps some.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print